NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2017, 05:16 PM
Scott Russell

Default UPDATES!!! Big announcement... for me anyway :) List now available!

As some of you know I am in the process of buying Birmingham Auctioneers. They have been in the live auction of sports memorabilia business since the early 80's making them one of the longest-lived auction companies in the industry.

While I intend to modernize many aspects of the company I fully intend to leave it a live only auction. I feel in this day and age there is a need (if not a crying out for) a completely transparent auction company and I feel the best way to achieve that is through a live only auction.

We currently operate the auction out of the Hershey PA area and March's auction is a very solid one with some nice t206 HOF'ers and tough backs, and complete sets from football, baseball and hockey from the 50's on up as well as the normal selection of HOF singles from all sports, autographs, etc... I personally have several lots in the auction.

But the main announcement is that we are in the process of teaming up with Joe Drelich to provide auctions for the Tuesday night Parsippany show in NJ every month, hopefully beginning in April.

Just thought I'd share this since I've already met and dealt with so many great members in my short time here and I look forward to meeting and dealing with many more! Any questions just drop me an email or a PM.

Scott
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 03-06-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Is there anyway to view the lots online?
Old 01-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Scott Russell

The current auction isn't posted yet, but will soon be available on auctionzip.com as well as birminghamauctioneers.com. You can also sign up for our email list, just drop me a line.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 01-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Duane Clark

Scott,

Best of luck with your future endeavors.

I attend most of the Birmingham Auctions in Campbelltown and I am looking forward to some of the upgrades that were announced at the auction earlier this month.

I especially like the idea to submit autographs to a grading company for verification.

Best regards.

Duane
Old 01-30-2017, 05:48 PM
Scott Russell

we have already started submitting higher end autographs before the auction but we will be accepting submissions for SGC of material purchased at the auction at March's sale! We are also in talks with SGC to actually come to one auction a year to accept ANY material not just auction purchases!

Thanks Duane,

Scott

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-30-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Cool. I will follow the auctions. And maybe even consign a few items along the way. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:43 PM
D@le Irv*n

Good luck, Scott.

Looking forward to watching them.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:09 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Congratulations Scott!

Wishing you the very best and success!!!
Old 01-30-2017, 07:30 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
The current auction isn't posted yet, but will soon be available on auctionzip.com as well as birminghamauctioneers.com. You can also sign up for our email list, just drop me a line.
Ok. Still a little confused. So we will be able to see the lots but to bid we will have to show up in person?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:50 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Phillip

There are often several board members at an auction who could bid for you on an item you may be interested in. I know I have done this in the past for fellow members I know. I'd check it out on auctionzip and if there were something you were interested in maybe reach out on the board to see if you can find someone to bid for you. Like I said I've done this for a few people when Dave was still the owner.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:30 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
Ok. Still a little confused. So we will be able to see the lots but to bid we will have to show up in person?
That is correct, you aren't confused at all. Think of online as simply a digital catalog in the old school auction world. Saves us on mailing costs since there no extra cost for reaching people who likely won't attend.

Also what Glyn said is great advice. There are a number of bidders who do just that, so if you have a buddy on the East Coast that may be the way to go. All bidders are in the room on the day of the auction which can't eliminate the possibilities of shenanigans but it certainly make things more transparent.

Oh, and PS Glyn, Dave is still the owner for a bit yet

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-30-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:23 AM
Scott Russell

OK when one person is confused you can blame them, when multiple people are confused, obviously you failed in your attempt at communication. Here goes.

This is a LIVE only auction company. There is no phone bidding and no online bidding, we don't even currently accept absentee bids directly, though you are free to send an agent to the auction to place bids on your behalf. To place a bid you have to be in the room at the time the item is auctioned. You will be able to hold the item in your hand and look at it during the preview. The auctionzip and auctioneer web addresses mentioned previously are a way of distributing our catalog while saving on print costs. We can reach many more people at FAR less cost. It does not mean that we are accepting internet bids. Those resources will be available about one month before the auction.

I thought if ANY group of people would appreciate the fact that we are trying to keep this company as transparent as humanly possible in an industry beset by doubts, questions, and even outright fraud, it would be N54.

I hope this clears up any confusion!

Thanks!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-31-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:11 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor, Scott.

I have purchased lots of quality material at the Birmingham auction in the past, and I'm sure that will continue under Scott's capable stewardship.

Rob
Old 01-31-2017, 12:37 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
OK when one person is confused you can blame them, when multiple people are confused, obviously you failed in your attempt at communication. Here goes.

This is a LIVE only auction company. There is no phone bidding and no online bidding, we don't even currently accept absentee bids directly, though you are free to send an agent to the auction to place bids on your behalf. To place a bid you have to be in the room at the time the item is auctioned. You will be able to hold the item in your hand and look at it during the preview. The auctionzip and auctioneer web addresses mentioned previously are a way of distributing our catalog while saving on print costs. We can reach many more people at FAR less cost. It does not mean that we are accepting internet bids. Those resources will be available about one month before the auction.

I thought if ANY group of people would appreciate the fact that we are trying to keep this company as transparent as humanly possible in an industry beset by doubts, questions, and even outright fraud, it would be N54.

Thanks!
Got it. Well. I wish you luck but you will likely never get a bid from me. I do this as a hobby. It is going to be near impossible for me to get to your live auction. I simply have to much going on in my life to pull that off, which sucks because it sounds like you have some cards in your first auction I may be interested in.

I hope you decide to convert to take remote bids.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If I were ya'll I would consider finding a way to allow more bidders. The smaller the audience the less the prices attained, in my experiences. Good luck!!

Quote:

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:48 AM
octavio ranzola

best of luck scott
Old 02-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If I were ya'll I would consider finding a way to allow more bidders. The smaller the audience the less the prices attained, in my experiences. Good luck!!
While I understand all the arguments FOR alternative bidding, I feel very strongly about being a contrarian thinker on this topic. Now realize we don't handle 5 and 6 figure items, at least in the 15 years I've been around the auction, but there is a big enough well-heeled dealer and collector population base in the area (and on our lists) that when we have nice items they sell appropriately.

The company wouldn't have lasted over 33 years leaving a trail of disgruntled consignors! Oh and over 90% of each auction IS consigned, not filled by the auction company. Of COURSE if we ever had a Holy Grail type item that issue would be visited separately, but on sets even up to several thousand I think being able to look at every single card in hand offsets a large amount of the benefit of reaching everyone but only with online images. The auction has done quite well over the years with high-end vintage sets.

Also with this new-found Card Show auction business, what good do we do a promoter if we allow people not present to bid? I think the commitment to, and experience in, the live-only arena certainly helped my pitch to someone whose main interest is attracting dealers and attendees.

Trust me none of this has been done without a lot of forethought, yet I am also not the kind of person who can't adapt. If the time should come that the evidence is proving that my thinking is wrong I won't go down cursing the world for being stupid, I'll adapt!

On a lighter note there is a STUNNING 1914 Cracker Jack Moriarty going into the March auction that blows me away. Sending that for grading just so I can be sure I'm not missing something!

PM me with questions or to get on the email list!

Scott

Old 02-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
best of luck scott
Thanks!

Old 02-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Scott - best of luck with this. I question whether you are going to get enough people at the Parsippany NJ show on a Tuesday night with cash in pocket to really make a live auction work, but I'm sure you've given it a lot more thought than I anyone else on the board has. (Of course, I could accept the occasional proxy from a board member and drive over. Industry's lowest commission to be sure. Plus surcharge for mileage. And a dinner stipend at the Wendy's up the road.) If I make it next week I'll say hello.

The other option is you could accept bids by email or phone and, like Christies, just open the bidding at that amount. May not be the transparancy you are looking to convey though.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-01-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think after his (hi Scott) explanation they are well aware of what they are doing. It is all about expectations. Kind of like when I list a card on this forums little live auction place. If anyone is expecting top dollar there they will probably be disappointed but if you go there for ease of use and a place to have fun and shed some collectibles.....then that is a great place. I doubt they have too many 50k cards at their Philly only auction, by design. That all said it sounds like it will be a lot of fun and if I were in the area would definitely attend. That area is certainly ripe with collectors so I am hopeful it will be fine. And I am very happy the Philly Show is evolving ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Scott - best of luck with this. I question whether you are going to get enough people at the Parsippany NJ show on a Tuesday night with cash in pocket to really make a live auction work, but I'm sure you've given it a lot more thought than I anyone else on the board has. (Of course, I could accept the occasional proxy from a board member and drive over. Industry's lowest commission to be sure. Plus surcharge for mileage. And a dinner stipend at the Wendy's up the road.) If I make it next week I'll say hello.

The other option is you could accept bids by email or phone and, like Christies, just open the bidding at that amount. May not be the transparancy you are looking to convey though.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Having attended dozens

Having attended dozens of Birmingham's auctions I can say his prices realized are like most auctions. High sometimes low sometimes and a mixture sometimes. They tend to be a little low on esoteric non Phillies things. It spot in on most topps bowman cards.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:05 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Well part of the benefit of teaming up is it doubles the promotional effort. If I was relying on the current crowd I would have to agree with you but we will put our marketing effort behind this as well now and hopefully bring in a whole new crowd. It won't happen overnight and I doubt we make a killing any time soon, but I think it's a strong marriage that will yield results.

As an example, at the show I promoted in the Poconos this fall, it did not go great. We only had about 60 paid admissions and 18 registered bidders. The auction was at the end of the show. So nearly one third of my admissions were there, in part, for the auction, how many would not have come at all if not for the auction?

Parsippany should yield even stronger results because it's two different companies both marketing their own area as opposed to one company trying to market two different things. I only had the same lists of people to hit over and over, I tried like mad to expand those lists, but you're limited. Now Joe and I start with two completely separate lists, we should hit a LOT more people.

Anyway, if you can't tell, I am passionate about this, but not blinded by that passion, I appreciate the thoughts and comments and it's always possible someone hits me with something I haven't thought about yet!

Old 02-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Scott, I admire your tenacity. Keep at it, the hobby is better off when we try to make it better by doing different things and promoting it more, especially in a positive light. Good luck once again!! We'll be here for updates. Heck, I might have to actually travel again to do a show.....

Quote:
Well part of the benefit of teaming up is it doubles the promotional effort. If I was relying on the current crowd I would have to agree with you but we will put our marketing effort behind this as well now and hopefully bring in a whole new crowd. It won't happen overnight and I doubt we make a killing any time soon, but I think it's a strong marriage that will yield results.

As an example, at the show I promoted in the Poconos this fall, it did not go great. We only had about 60 paid admissions and 18 registered bidders. The auction was at the end of the show. So nearly one third of my admissions were there, in part, for the auction, how many would not have come at all if not for the auction?

Parsippany should yield even stronger results because it's two different companies both marketing their own area as opposed to one company trying to market two different things. I only had the same lists of people to hit over and over, I tried like mad to expand those lists, but you're limited. Now Joe and I start with two completely separate lists, we should hit a LOT more people.

Anyway, if you can't tell, I am passionate about this, but not blinded by that passion, I appreciate the thoughts and comments and it's always possible someone hits me with something I haven't thought about yet!
Old 02-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Scott, I admire your tenacity. Keep at it, the hobby is better off when we try to make it better by doing different things and promoting it more, especially in a positive light. Good luck once again!! We'll be here for updates. Heck, I might have to actually travel again to do a show.....
That would be so cool. Thanks for the support here, I'm excited (if anyone couldn't tell) about the opportunities that are opening up for me. As one of the "good guys" (OK I guess everyone perceives themselves as a good guy) I firmly believe that the more people I meet and do business with the more successful I will be, as I try very hard to only leave happy customers in my wake!

Old 02-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I just read that Hunt is still going to own the show. That is too bad. However, I also found out he is a small minority partner so the show will Now be run by someone that won''t be an card-show-spoiler ....

Quote:
That would be so cool. Thanks for the support here, I'm excited (if anyone couldn't tell) about the opportunities that are opening up for me. As one of the "good guys" (OK I guess everyone perceives themselves as a good guy) I firmly believe that the more people I meet and do business with the more successful I will be, as I try very hard to only leave happy customers in my wake!

Last edited by Leon; 02-11-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:55 AM
Scott Russell

The auction list is now available for download here:

http://www.auctionzip.com/PA-Auctioneers/9580.html

it will be up on our website, in a format you don't have to download, shortly.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:27 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
The auction list is now available for download here:

http://www.auctionzip.com/PA-Auctioneers/9580.html

it will be up on our website, in a format you don't have to download, shortly.
Where are the images??
Old 02-11-2017, 06:35 AM
Scott Russell

Sorry, should've mentioned that. I am starting to upload them today, and I will be adding them over the next day or two. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Scott Russell

Have started to load images, keep checking back as I get more up. There are a few lots out for grading and/or authentication, will add that info to the listing as soon as I possess it. Feel free to PM me with questions and to add yourself to the email list!

Old 02-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Gary McNabb

I am a new member feeling my way around . I am retired and always looking for something to do. I live one town over from Parsippany, I will be at your auction and if I can be of any help please ask !!!!!

Highlander and Yankee collector......
Old 02-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Scott Russell

Which direction? I was born one town over in Boonton. We may actually be looking for local help to act as runners so I may take you up on that. If you are interested send me a PM with your contact info.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Scott Russell

Also, need to apologize for some fuzzy images. I am working on producing all the images myself, but I still have some that I don't have full control over. As I assume more and more duties as the year goes on, I will be rectifying some of these issues, and don't be bashful with thoughts, questions, or even complaints.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Scott Russell

images up for about 1/2 the auction so far. If there's any lot you are looking to see in particular let me know.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Scott Russell

So the first Parsippany Tuesday night PAL auction is set for May. We will be accepting items for consignment at the March 7th show. Contact me for consignment terms, or to sign up for our email list.

Also at Valley Forge March 3-5 we will have select items from our large March 11th live auction at our booth, #710, in addition to my usual, unusual, stock of items for sale!

Stop by and say hi!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 02-20-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:18 PM
Scott Russell

Was brought to my attention that the photos for the auction were out of order. That should be corrected now. On a side not, I think I need to get someone to shill-post this thread up a little

Old 02-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

+2
Old 02-25-2017, 05:56 PM
Scott Russell

We will be accepting submissions at the March Parsippany PAL show for the May PAL Auction. We will always be accepting submissions 2 months ahead of the auction. Going to try something new, seller's commissions will be a flat $6 instead of a percentage. With this being a new auction, and live only, we thought it would help encourage possible consignors! Auction will be catalogued and promoted online as well as by email.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Scott Russell

OK images will be posted Wednesday, but got grades in on some key cards.

1954 Topps Jackie Robinson SGC 60
1914 Cracker Jack George Moriarty SGC 40 (And everyone who saw it agrees it's about the nicest damn VG ever, chime in if you saw it guys!)
T206 Lajoie Throwing SGC 20
T206 Maloney Cycle Back SGC 20
T206 Stovall Cycle Back SGC 20 (These three T206's are VERY appealing for the grades which are mainly due to some moderate back issues, check back Wed for images!)
T206 Smith (Chicago AND Boston) SGC A (trimmed)

If you have any questions don't hesitate to send me a message or post here!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 03-06-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Duane Clark

Scott,

It was nice to meet you today. Regarding the auction, the inclusion of some higher end sets and cards was outstanding. I have attended this auction for a few years so I have a small sample size but the quality of items in this auction was a better than I have ever seen.

I would recommend that anyone within a reasonable distance to attend this auction if you have not done so previously.

Thanks for putting on a great live auction.

Best regards.

Duane Clark
Old 03-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Scott Russell

Thanks Duane,

Was disappointed with a number of the prewar results which meant there were bargains to be had today. Many items closed strong and overall we did quite well. This auction came together as a particularly strong one, but we strive to keep good material coming and do have a nice backlog of consignors right now.

If you were there today please give a shout out in this thread!