NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Rob

Default A PINBACK MYSTERY - baseball or football?

A few days ago, I posted a pic of one of my NY (baseball) Giants pin cases. A board member (Joe aka icollectDCsports) PM'ed me to tell me he was "pretty sure" (90%) my "Scalp the Giants" pin was a Washington Redskins pinback and the Giants referred to were the NY (football) Giants. The red and yellow colors would support Joe's theory. Joe wondered if I had some reason to believe the pin is a baseball pin.

I actually had two reasons (at first)....I got my pin with a baseball bat "dangle" and I was also going by Paul Muchinsky's opinion that a button maker would be more likely to make a pin for a SERIES than for a single game. In this case, the 1954 World Series.

Joe and I sent a few more PM's back and forth and Muchinsky's book seemed to yield more clues which, I thought, increased the likelihood that this is, indeed, a baseball pin. The Cleveland Indians definitely used this indian head logo (as did the Boston Braves) and they did utilize the red and yellow color scheme.

So, I'm thinking...case closed, baseball pin....until Joe sends me an ebay link to the Redskins pin . As far as the "Scalp the Giants" pin, does anyone know for sure if this is Cleveland Indians or Washington Redskins?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-02-09 01.57.47.jpg (74.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-02-09 01.59.32.jpg (57.8 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-02-09 02.00.28.jpg (38.2 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (45.4 KB, 194 views)
Old 02-09-2017, 12:17 PM

A fun mystery. I've seen the "Scalp the Giants" pinback sold among other items in older Redskins collections on a couple of occasions over the years and, because of the yellow and red colors and the same profile logo as the other Redskins pinback of the same period, I'd assumed it was related to that team. Now seeing what appear to be red print with yellow (as opposed to white) backgrounds also used for a couple of Indians pinbacks (as shown in Muchinsky's book), I don't think my assumption (and that of at least some others) was necessarily correct. Suppose it could've been marketed for both, and baseball related dangles added in relation to the '54 Series. Or maybe it was produced exclusively for the Indians. But would be good to know if others have more specific info about it's intended use.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Mike Kendall

I doubt we we ever know the answer to this and many other pinback questions. I have always thought it was a Washington Redskins pin based on the color and their big rivalry with the Giants. As to the attached bat, I don't think that proves anything as anyone could add it at any time. Undoubtedly, generic NY Giant pins with baseball hangers that were not sold during baseball season had those removed and footballs added for sale during football season.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 02-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Rob

All we need is either a photo match or testimony from someone who bought one of these when new!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Al

Rob,
We may never know the the reason why but probably these pins were know as duel pins. As they could be used for more than 1 sport thus saving the pin maker (and vendor) money ,didnt have to wait for the next baseball season to sell unsold pins just change dangles and bam new point of sale football to baseball and visa versa. There are alot of baseball giant pins and football giant pins that can be used either way. As was pointed out NEVER go by the dangle easy to change and really only attribute it if it is team specific or has a ribbon for a specific event. As for your pin I would lean more toward football than baseball. And remember Paul wasnot always right about pins. We (Paul and I)have had may an argument about this very subject. Here is one case in point Paul and I never spoke after this one as he didnt like being wrong... In the pinback book as allstar. I told him to start there was never an allstar game played in New Orleans. Then to back up my findings I showed him this. Now to this day (and I have told him also) there is someone on ebay who is a huge pin seller still lists that pin as BASEBALL allstar. This was an east west shrine football game moved from Ca. to New Orleans during world war 2 for fear that the Japanese planes could reach Ca but couldnt reach New Orleans and kill many people at the site. Only time the game was ever moved. Listed in Pauls book so it must be right

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 12-04-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Rob

Everything you say is true, Al. I see many "GIANTS" or "NEW YORK GIANTS" pins that were used for both the football and baseball teams.This is not surprising at all, especially since the teams shared the Polo Grounds until 1956. The difference with the "Scalp Those Giants" pin is that the baseball Indians and football Redskins play 375 miles apart from each other. I think this pin was made for one team or the other but not used by both. Alas, I doubt I'll get to the bottom of this, short of finding a vintage photo of a baseball or football fan wearing this pin.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Rob

Orange and black....possibly the NY (baseball) Giants' response?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScalptheIndians1.jpg (17.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 02-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Orange and black....possibly the NY (baseball) Giants' response?
I would say there is a much better chance this is a college or high school pin.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown