NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Who would you select to the HOF?
Bert Blyleven 116 56.86%
Roberto Alomar 111 54.41%
Jack Morris 54 26.47%
Barry Larkin 56 27.45%
Lee Smith 45 22.06%
Edgar Martinez 33 16.18%
Tim Raines 48 23.53%
Rafael Palmiero 24 11.76%
Jeff Bagwell 61 29.90%
Larry Walker 21 10.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't think someone should get in for longevity stats alone unless maybe for cracking a magic barrier like 3000 hits or 300 wins. To me a HOFer not only should have great career stats but should, for a reasonable number of years (say 5-7 minimum), have been one of the best players at his position or pitchers in the game. Two all star teams does not say that to me about Blyleven. His status suggest longevity only.
I understand your point, but I think All Star game appearances are an overrated factor. Often great players on bad teams won't have many all star appearances.

And do you think Nolan Ryan should be in the HOF? If he only played 23 seasons instead of 27 he wouldn't have 300 wins, and besides strikeouts he never had a dominating stretch of years for any other stat. He never led the league in wins, only led in ERA twice

Last edited by Robextend; 12-31-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 PM

If Blyleven had played for the Yankees he would have been in long, long ago. Larkin would make it this year or next if he had been a Yankee or could do backflips like Ozzie Smith. Injuries certainly did have a negative effect on Larkin's career and total numbers; I still have no reservations saying he belongs.

Last edited by celoknob; 12-31-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Excellent poll. By the 75% rule, there's still not one who's getting in on our ballots.

Im pleasantly surprised by the amount of votes Bagwell is getting. I dont even know if I consider him a HOFer, but I appreciate the consideration he's getting. It's also interesting to watch the subtext he carries as there are "some" suspicions of steroid use, nothing remotely glaring (hello Palmeiro) and a nice bellweather case for what the voters will do with this entire era of players and "unknown" situations.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
For those who don't consider Barry Larkin worthy of the Hall of Fame, can you come up with 10 shortstops who were better? Also, is the Hall of Fame big enough for one of the best 10 shortstops in history? Bill James ranks him sixth and he's the best baseball numbers guy of all. So to all of Larkin's detractors, I challenge you to prove to me ... with a comparative statistical analysis and not simply opinions ... why Larkin isn't worthy of the Hall of Fame.

Induction into the Hall of Fame should be based not on perceptions, allegiances and myths, but on hard numbers that take into account all the factors (dead ball vs. live ball, size of ballparks, etc.) that skew statistics. Sadly, while James and others have done the work, only a small percentage of baseball fans have even noticed. As a result, the debate goes on, but at the same time, it goes nowhere ...

Who are the top 10 Shortstops according to James? It would be interesting to see this list.

Also, before Larkin & Ripken, SS was primarily a defensive position where teams carried players on their roster for their glove, not their bat. That is probably the main reason that James has him as high as he does.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Ryan

I think he is overrated by those who count him among the few greatest pitchers ever, but he has to be in the Hall given the sheer outrageousness of the strikeout totals, plus the 7 no hitters, not to mention the 324 wins. His ERA was 10 or so points better than Blyleven, and he had many more all star appearances.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Chris Counts

Phil, here's James' list. He didn't include active players. If he did, A-Rod and Jeter would obviously be high on the list ...

1. Honus Wagner
2. Arky Vaughan
3. Cal Ripken
4. Robin Yount
5. Ernie Banks
6. Barry Larkin
7. Ozzie Smith
8. Joe Cronin
9. Alan Trammell
10. Pee Wee Reese

Also, Larkin's various injuries, and the time he lost as a result, often come up in Hall of Fame discussions. I did a quick survey, and for what it's worth, he played more games at shortstop in his career than roughly half the shortstops in the Hall of Fame ...

How many Gold Glove shortstops can you name with a ton of steals, an MVP award, a World Series ring and a .370 career on-base average? If they gave out Gold Gloves in 1910, certainly Honus Wagner would quailify, but who else?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Rob Miller

I wonder if Concepcion would be #11,

2300+ Hits, 9 AS Games, 5 Gold Gloves, 300+ SB
Old 12-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Chris Counts

Rob, I'm a huge fan of both the Reds and Concepcion, but his on-base average is 50 points lower than Larkin's. That a deal breaker for me ...
Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Rawn Hill

Default Larkin

Rob did this as a way to further a Larkin's case. He already had my vote.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Arky Vaughan

I generally like Bill James' take on things, but rating Arky Vaughan as the number 2 shortstop in history is ridiculous.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:21 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Phil, here's James' list. He didn't include active players. If he did, A-Rod and Jeter would obviously be high on the list ...

1. Honus Wagner
2. Arky Vaughan
3. Cal Ripken
4. Robin Yount
5. Ernie Banks
6. Barry Larkin
7. Ozzie Smith
8. Joe Cronin
9. Alan Trammell
10. Pee Wee Reese

Also, Larkin's various injuries, and the time he lost as a result, often come up in Hall of Fame discussions. I did a quick survey, and for what it's worth, he played more games at shortstop in his career than roughly half the shortstops in the Hall of Fame ...

How many Gold Glove shortstops can you name with a ton of steals, an MVP award, a World Series ring and a .370 career on-base average? If they gave out Gold Gloves in 1910, certainly Honus Wagner would quailify, but who else?
That list goes to strengthen my argument that before Larkin's time, SS was just a defensive position, since 7 of Bill James' top 10 SS are "modern" SS.

There's some great names there, but that has to be "the weakest" Top 10 list for any position in the Hall of Fame. Just an indication of what the position used to be.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Jake Dahl

Default Hall of Fame

It will be interesting to see what happens come January when the writers have to turn in their ballots for HOF inductees
Old 01-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Barry Arnold

Default Hof

i voted but couldn't get my mind off gavvy or cactus cravath as my perennial real choice.

best,
barry
Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Johnny S

Bert Blyleven , it's almost a crime he isn't in, his stats alone are so much better than many pitchers in the HOF ! Plus he wasn't on the best team and still put up monster numbers. The HOF should be ashamed for not having him in yet, disgraceful........................
Old 01-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Blyleven deserves it. If Alomar and Larkin aren't in and Mazeroski and Ozzie are, then somethings wrong.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:43 AM
qu@n nguy3n

my imaginary votes went to blyleven, alomar, larkin, and raines.

these arguments never go anywhere. people are reading from different books and watching different games. when you're still quoting archaic stats like batting avg/rbis or wins and eras (or that jim rice is a hof'er), there's just no point of reconciliation.