NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2002, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Default Ross Youngs?? ..... Buhler?? ..... Buhler??

Posted By: HalleyGator 

Come on, guys and girls ...

I know for a fact that there is more vintage card "muscle" on this board than any other site in cyberspace.

Thus, I refuse to believe that nobody can come up with a card for me of HOF'er Ross Youngs (excluding the 1961 Fleer, which I don't consider a "real" card since he had been dead for 30 years by then).

PLEASE!!! I just need ONE PSA gradable card of Mr. Youngs from any of the 1921, 1922 or 1923 sets that PSA grades (Caramel, Chocolate, Bread)...

PS - YES, I would LOVE to get one that is ALREADY graded by PSA ... but they have only graded 5 such cards, so I am doubtful that this will happen.

THANKS in advance ... and THANKS to Jay Miller and Vorthian and Kevin Struss for helping me find cards of Stan Coveleskie and Harry Heilmann!!

Old 02-21-2002, 07:57 AM
Administrator

So far, the "muscle" on this board is losing strength!!

The only one I have found thus far is a 1921 E121 from Larry Fritsch that THEY grade as vg-ex for $110.

Can anyone do better for me before I buy this one?? -- By "better", I mean a NICER card, not necessarily a better price. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2002, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

I know he got sick, and died at the age of 30. I also realize he played for the N.Y. Giants, BUT how did he ever make it into the hall of fame? In his career he only ever led the league in any category 3 times---once in double, once in runs, and once in most strikeouts. If he's in, there has got to be at least 1000 other deserving players.

Old 02-21-2002, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

If you buy from whom you say just be ready for a card that is 1-2 (closer to 2) grades less than you bargain for. Again, they have a great return policy that works but what a hassle. good luck and best regards

Old 02-21-2002, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Hal,maybe you should offer a reward for whoever finds the Youngs card for you,say maybe the sgc graded youngs you already have.... if you do decide to do that, go with the one from Larry Fritsch and dont forget he has a e220 Youngs also

Old 02-21-2002, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Yes, of course John was the one who put me in touch with Larry Fritsch...

so John would indeed get first shot (for a BARGAIN price!) at my 1923 W515-1 SGC 84 Ross Youngs -- the highest graded example of this card...

assuming that all the rest of you are hoarding your Ross Youngs cards because he was just so damn good (as Elliot pointed out).

PS - I will let everyone know what PSA grade the card gets ... so that we can see how close Larry Fritsch was when he graded the card "vg-ex".

Old 02-21-2002, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

so im guessing that means youre getting the card from Fritsch? That should be interesting to see what grade it actually gets.....good luck

Old 02-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Administrator

I am going to give the board members one more day to shower me with love before I resort to going the "Fritsch's Big Boy" route...

Old 02-21-2002, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john

Youngs made the Hall of Fame through the veterans committee,when 2 of his teammates and 2 new york sportswriters from back in the day were on the panel of voters....alot of players made the hall of fame this way that arent the most deserving....Youngs did bat over 300 9 times in his short career and also was a good outfielder,fast with a great arm,and the giants made the world series in 5 of his 10 seasons and finished 2nd 4 times.I think if he didnt die so young and played out his career he would have made it to the hall anyway.So hes not a horrible choice(taking early death into consideration) but that doesnt mean i would vote for him

Old 02-21-2002, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

I nominate the memorable "Bibb Falk" and "Rocky Stone". Their numbers are arguably as good as Youngs and they have much better baseball names.

Old 02-22-2002, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Which one of you funny guys called Larry Fritsch Cards and snatched my Ross Youngs card out from under my nose??!!

Oh well ... I guess I will still have to rely on the ability of you great card hunters out there to find me a ROSS YOUNGS card ...

HELP!!!

Old 02-22-2002, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

noted your interest and sent the card in to SCD grading.

Word is that this isn't one of his fine examples that will get the legendary "Untouched" grade...

Old 02-22-2002, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

How do you make the blue guy, the green guy, and the guy with glasses? Julie

Old 02-22-2002, 02:43 PM
Administrator

and there was green mold around the edges. If you could call them edges. I literally dropped it in the wastebasket.

Old 02-22-2002, 06:22 PM
Administrator

on second thought ... maybe I will just stay away from Fritsch and his green cards!! :0

Old 02-22-2002, 07:33 PM
Administrator

:O :0

But Fritsch will always take stuff back if you don't like it. I bought a bunch of Colgans from him once, including a Speaker Red Border ("ex+") The whole card was red. I just said i didn't think it was 'quite up to snuff." Next time he listed it, it was "about ex." For all I know it's STILL there, "about ex."