NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-19-2017, 01:27 PM

Default Are Bonds/Clemens desirable autographs for you?

Not here to judge your opinion, just curious what it is.

I have a pretty decent collection of signed/certified baseballs, both from older players (Mays, Aaron, Rose, Frank Robinson, Killebrew, etc.) and more recent guys (Griffey, Ryan, Henderson, etc.)

Among others, it's missing these 2, the #3 and #7 best players ever (by ESPN's rankings). Until this point that was because I just plain didn't like the guys, because of possible steroid use but also because they (especially Clemens) just seem like unapologetic jerks.

But I'm also realistic that there are probably plenty of guys in my collection who were also jerks, just less publicly so, so I'm starting to rethink my opinion.

Just curious, anyone approach their collecting in a similar fashion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Michael

It is hard to base on personality. I had Mantle spit at me and Aaron curse me out as a nice cordial teen age boy but I still collect them. If it is based on steroid use that is one thing but based on who is a jerk that is hard to rate. I wouldn't tho get Tony Pena after I saw him humiliate young players in front of fans at spring training- I just wouldn't ask him after that
Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM

Matt,
For the record I own signed balls of both Bonds and Clemens, but I have owned them for quite a while.
FWIW, both of these guys will ultimately get into the HOF, and I suspect that it will be sooner than most think based on the 2017 vote count.
Both of these autographs can be had for relatively bargain basement prices these days.
It all comes down to what you want to collect, but once these guys get into the Hall their prices will probably rise significantly from their current levels IMHO.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-19-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:24 PM

I don't see myself ever having any interest in them. Same would go for Palmeiro, one of the few to have 500 homers and 3,000 hits. I could never bring myself to buy something knowing it really meant nothing.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:30 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I'd like autographed rookies of each but that's it.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:44 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Beem actively looking for, and trying to see if Bonds would sign the 87 donruss error.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-19-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Matt,
For the record I own signed balls of both Bonds and Clemens, but I have owned them for quite a while.
FWIW, both of these guys will ultimately get into the HOF, and I suspect that it will be sooner than most think based on the 2017 vote count.
Both of these autographs can be had for relatively bargain basement prices these days.
It all comes down to what you want to collect, but once these guys get into the Hall their prices will probably rise significantly from their current levels IMHO.

I agree with you on pricing, if I'm getting in now's the time; thanks for your response.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:54 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I have a baseball encyclopedia that I get signed by every former major leaguer I meet. Clemens came to my area a lot and was reported to be a generous signer when his son was playing here, but I never got it. Wish I had made more of an effort.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:54 PM

Default Are Bonds/Clemens desirable autographs for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't see myself ever having any interest in them. Same would go for Palmeiro, one of the few to have 500 homers and 3,000 hits. I could never bring myself to buy something knowing it really meant nothing.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel from a steroid standpoint. I have autos because the #'s are meaningful to me (Rose, Henderson) or I like the player.

With Bonds/Clemens, I don't trust the #'s, and I don't like the players. Yes, they both were probably Hall of Famers without steroids, but since I don't know how much they were aided, it just loses a lot of my interest.

Again though, I am admittedly putting them in a bucket that a lot of other players (including some I have autos of) probably belong in. They just were much bigger jerks about it. I always liked Bagwell, and whether or not he did steroids, he did himself a favor by not being so antagonistic. Same with Piazza.

And don't get me started on Clemens' headhunting, the two Piazza incidents specifically. There was a not insignificant reduction in his beanball rate when he moved to the National League. Guy was a coward.

Last edited by mattjc1983; 04-19-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:58 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Like em or hate em, they will go into the HOF. Then interest will rise and prices will go up. Years from now another generation won't understand or care about steroids, all they will see is the numbers and they will collect them.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 PM

Starling Marte just got suspended for 80 games for steroids. I don't see things changing. If anything penalties are getting harsher. I don't see Bonds or Clemens making the HOF anytime soon. They need to change about 100 voters minds.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:05 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Like em or hate em, they will go into the HOF. Then interest will rise and prices will go up. Years from now another generation won't understand or care about steroids, all they will see is the numbers and they will collect them.
I often wonder if, years from now, with major advances in medical science if all humans will one day be taking brain/strength/performance enhancing substances that will act like steroids and also boost brain function but without the negative side effects. I have no idea how long into the future that may be. But new advances are being made and becoming accepted all the time. Like the blood platelet spinning which aides healing and oxygenates the blood I believe. It seems like HGH is also becoming more accepted and widely used in treating things.

I still hold a grudge against these players too, but I feel they will become more and more accepted in the future. MLB really was just as guilty of letting the culture of steroids permeate baseball and in a way the players were products of their time. Much like people don't fault the Black Sox players because Comiskey was so cheap. A lot of players felt the need to use just to keep up with all the competition.

I don't condone the steroid use and am glad to see MLB has made major strides in cleaning things up, but I'm just saying who knows what people will think of the era in the future...
Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I often wonder if, years from now, with major advances in medical science if all humans will one day be taking brain/strength/performance enhancing substances that will act like steroids and also boost brain function but without the negative side effects. I have no idea how long into the future that may be. But new advances are being made and becoming accepted all the time. Like the blood platelet spinning which aides healing and oxygenates the blood I believe. It seems like HGH is also becoming more accepted and widely used in treating things.

I still hold a grudge against these players too, but I feel they will become more and more accepted in the future. MLB really was just as guilty of letting the culture of steroids permeate baseball and in a way the players were products of their time. Much like people don't fault the Black Sox players because Comiskey was so cheap. A lot of players felt the need to use just to keep up with all the competition.

I don't condone the steroid use and am glad to see MLB has made major strides in cleaning things up, but I'm just saying who knows what people will think of the era in the future...

Jose Canseco seemed to basically be saying this exact thing in Juiced: one day we'll all be taking some kind of "steroid."

Old 04-20-2017, 07:27 AM

I don't know if I agree with that. In my opinion we are moving further and further away from putting chemicals into our bodies. I notice there is a huge movement when it comes to food. People don't want these old style products that are full of antibiotics and preservatives. Where I live people prefer to eat organic and buy their meat from producers who have free range animals. I think we are moving away from adding medications to our lives.

Last edited by packs; 04-20-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I remember a few years ago when Brian Roberts was tearing it up, SI did a feature on his new style contact lenses that really focused better than normal ones. So if he's using some sort of bionic contacts, that's great, but if I'm taking muscle enlargers, I'm cheating?? Nobody ever answered me when I asked about that.

To the main topic, I have baseballs signed by all these guys. I never pursued them, but I've kept them, but that's only because I'm a completionist and collect everything. Unfortunately, I agree that in the future nobody will care about steroids (don't think too many care right now,) so when they get in the HOF prices will go up.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. In my opinion we are moving further and further away from putting chemicals into our bodies. I notice there is a huge movement when it comes to food. People don't want these old style products that are full of antibiotics and preservatives. Where I live people prefer to eat organic and buy their meat from producers who have free range animals. I think we are moving away from adding medications to our lives.
Thanks to my daughter's intestinal issues, our family has gone this route in the last couple of years. Here in Cleveland, there are many options, but we noticed last month when we vacationed in the south, people looked at us like we were hippie freaks when we asked about plain old gluten-free food.