NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Default Origins 1954 Topps Gray backs?

Hey curious were did the gray backs come from? Do all the cards have a gray back variation? How much more does a common gray back cost?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Al Richter

Cards 1-50 in the 1954 Toops set, like cards 131-190 in the 1952, set can be found in gray back. The SCD Standard Catalog used to refer to them as Canadians based on a theory they may have originated there. That theory has been debated on the board before and there are contrary views.

In both cases the cards are scarce and carry a large premium. The 52s are better known and higher priced, probably because the 52 set is more widely collected on a master basis. But the 54s usually carry a significant premium as well.

Many other Topps sets, including 1956, 1959 and 1960, also have different stock color cards within the same series, but in other sets neither stock is significantly less common than the other so the premiums, to the extent they exist, are not that large

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ7...V_dcvfsRCtAtQ-

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ...LJORNKPyQW53U-

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ7...BjUOa1wLuEnT8-

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KLf...88D7cL9a9usUA-

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-12-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Thanks Al! I tried to search for it but didn’t get any info.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 AM

To add to Al's answer ... I think there is some consensus among advanced collectors of both sets that the 1952 Topps gray backs were NOT issued in Canada, but the 1954 Topps gray backs WERE issued in Canada.

I seem to recall reading an article a few years back about a couple guys who trekked across Canada on buying trips in the 1980's(?) and they reported they very regularly found 1954 gray backs, but they never once found 1952 Topps grey backs.

I will say I once went through a very large dealer collection in So Cal ... he had 1952 gray backs (he had no idea what they were) but despite having probably 10,000 1954 cards he didn't have one single 1954 gray back.

Anecdotal evidence for sure ... but every story I've heard confirms these findings.

Cheers,
Patrick

Ps - If you are selling 1954 gray backs - let me know. I still need a few for my set.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

There's also no difference in appearance in 1954 from what I know of it, whereas is 1952 the mid series grays exhibit different characteristics than grays on other series.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:10 AM
Ryan Waggoner

So, I have a related question.

I have some '59s, some in gray and some in the normal cream back. Those that have a gray back, do they only come in gray backs, or are there cream backs available for those cards?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2018, 07:56 PM
R!CK LYON$

Default 59’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
So, I have a related question.

I have some '59s, some in gray and some in the normal cream back. Those that have a gray back, do they only come in gray backs, or are there cream backs available for those cards?

Thanks
One series comes in both other series are all gray or all white. Rick
Old 03-25-2018, 08:18 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrlyons View Post
199-286 come with both backs
Old 03-25-2018, 08:30 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrlyons View Post
Thanks for the info. So, I won't worry about my backs being mis-matched.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
To add to Al's answer ... I think there is some consensus among advanced collectors of both sets that the 1952 Topps gray backs were NOT issued in Canada, but the 1954 Topps gray backs WERE issued in Canada.

I seem to recall reading an article a few years back about a couple guys who trekked across Canada on buying trips in the 1980's(?) and they reported they very regularly found 1954 gray backs, but they never once found 1952 Topps grey backs.

I will say I once went through a very large dealer collection in So Cal ... he had 1952 gray backs (he had no idea what they were) but despite having probably 10,000 1954 cards he didn't have one single 1954 gray back.

Anecdotal evidence for sure ... but every story I've heard confirms these findings.

Cheers,
Patrick

Ps - If you are selling 1954 gray backs - let me know. I still need a few for my set.
I don't mean to digress here but I believe part of the confusion with '52 gray backs arises from the 1952 Topps salesmen samples. Some of these samples have a yellow sticker added to the cards which indicate "they" were made in London, Ontario.

At that time, OPC was primarily a gum manufacturer and OPC was looking to distribute sports cards with their product. There is some evidence Topps & OPC were discussing licensing agreements at that time, culminating in 1958. I believe discussions resulted in 1952 salesman's samples which were created for the jobbers selling OPC's products. To make it clear the retailers were actually buying a Canadian product versus a US product, they added a sticker stating "Made in London Ontario" which was added to the back of the 1952 Topps salesmen samples. The sticker, of course, was referring to the gum and not the baseball card.

This is all conjecture of course, but seems to fit many of the facts

Z