NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-25-2018, 09:58 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Default Do you prefer programs filled in or blank?

I've started picking up programs over the last couple of years in 2 areas: WWII-related baseball games and Jackie Robinson All-Star tours.

Initially I liked the cleanliness of an unfilled program (possibly influenced by years of card collecting) but recently I've come to appreciate nicely filled in programs much more, and am willing to pay a bit of a premium. This is particularly because the games I am looking for programs on are not particularly well researched, and there may not be publicly available data on what happened in those games.

I was wondering what people's preferences are regarding programs. Do you prefer filled out, or not written in?
Old 02-25-2018, 10:06 AM

I personally like them filled in. Not only is it a narrative of the game but it definitely places the program/scorecard/scorebook at the actual game.

Rob M
Old 02-25-2018, 10:18 AM

Prefer them to be neatly and completely scored.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:22 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Absolutely scored. Makes it much easier to research and know what happened.

My only caution is that when a program is advertised as a milestone event...you don't take it at face value. I have found scored programs that were supposed to be for a specific game and it was not for that game. Just like anything else Buyer Beware.

Jeff
Old 02-25-2018, 11:27 AM

I absolutely would prefer to have them neatly scored.
That's actually what makes them more interesting and collectible, IMHO.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:52 PM
Peter F

hi Jeff. Definitely scored.

Even though I enjoy the research that goes with finding an unscored program, having it neatly scored is very much my preference.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:43 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

It does not matter clean or scored for me
Old 02-26-2018, 11:04 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I prefer scored neatly. But I have a Ruth Home run 701 program that has " greatest game I ever saw our fighting Tigers beat Y anks 11-10" in Big pencil on cover. I do appreciate the fans enthusiasm. Brings the history out of the program.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:23 PM
Bob Andrews

I’ve got hundreds of Orioles programs and the scored ones are fascinating. As someone who grew up scoring games I enjoy deciphering other folks’ scoring ‘system’.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:17 AM
Doug Goodman

My 6,000+ programs / scorecards are all scored.

Doug
Old 02-27-2018, 07:24 AM
Rick

Scored, it shows someone had it at the game. I always wonder about the person that scored the game too, who they were and what happened to them and why they kept the scorecard.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 AM
Mike

I haven't really decided just yet. This is an area of our wonderful hobby that I have yet to dive into, yet want to so badly. I love vintage covers on the scorecards. So much nicer that what we get today.

I am probably going to have to agree with them being scored though because it places the scorecard at an actual game and it makes it easier to look up.

Mike
Old 02-27-2018, 09:39 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
My 6,000+ programs / scorecards are all scored.

Doug
That's an insane collection. Do you have any programs from WWII games (Army vs Navy etc) and/or Barnstorming tours (particularly Jackie Robinson). I have a couple, but even coming across images online is tough to find.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:23 PM
Jack T

I also prefer scored programs. Every game is unique and it is interesting to me to have a piece associated with a specific game. A team may sell 100's of thousands of programs each year, but if you have a scored program you can know the attendance and consider how many of those fans bought a program, and how many of those kept score, and how many of those were saved through the years.

When I first started working on having at least one Yankees program from each year, and one of each different cover starting in the 1960's, I didn't really care whether or not it was scored. But that changed when I realized I actually did have a preference and in general it was just as easy to get a scored one as an unscored.

I will say however, that it is interesting to go through an unscored program for the clues which lead to determining which series it was from. Of course, this is not really a challenge in the programs which show the player's averages to that point in the season and say "Averages thru" a certain date!
Old 02-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I have some programs I wish were scored one from the weekend when Thurman Munson was called up. 3 game series one game his first one his first hit.
It is however signed by several Yankee wives including Mrs Peterson and Mrs Kekich.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

Scored. Unfortunately I didn't always feel that way, so I have several unscored ones that I have no idea what game they go with.