NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2022, 06:58 PM
Jay Shumsky

Default New charges of sports memorabilia and art fraud

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...mgq-story.html
Old 04-21-2022, 09:48 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Hmmm

Exton PA - sounds like Hunt Auctions?

More importantly, I wonder who the authenticator was!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Man, there's a whole world of sports CARD fraud out there, I hope some day we see THOSE indictments. I note that the crimes here at least the ones discussed were 2016 and 3017, and actually one traced back to 2005 (yikes), so it took some time for this to play out.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-21-2022 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:09 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

the news is scary but sadly I am sure there are others going on as we speak. and new attempts coming soon.
Especially as the values continue to grow the money potential for these people is to much to resist.
Power of this forum and knowledge will hopefully help prevent some of it or at least prevent some people from getting burned.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-22-2022, 05:50 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Default It could really be Hunt Auctions based on this article..... sad :(

https://rehs.com/eng/2020/07/henkel-hoax/

HENKEL HOAX
July 10, 2020
An alleged forgery ring is unraveling after authorities garnered enough evidence to obtain a search warrant for artist Donald “D.B” Henkel’s property in Traverse City, Michigan. According to reports, the FBI began investigating the artist after learning he was involved in the sale of fake works said to be by notable 20th Century American artist to U.S. galleries, collectors, and museums. Conservators confirmed that materials used in these “rediscovered” works did not exist during the period in which they were supposedly created.
These forgers did not only use their talents in the art world, but ventured in the world of sports memorabilia. According to one article:
Since 2015, two accused co-conspirators have sold a purported Babe Ruth bat for $60,000 and a Lou Gehrig bat for $120,000, according to the FBI agent. Most of the money was sent to Henkel and another person.
The FBI affidavit does not say the bat was counterfeit.
The timing of the Gehrig bat auction and price tag appears to match one sold by Hunt Auctions of Pennsylvania. According to the listing, the Gehrig bat belonged to a descendant of a bat boy who had met the New York Yankees legend.
With that, 30 FBI agents raided the home, seizing a number of undisclosed items. No arrests have been made… yet.
Source: In north Michigan woods, feds raid an alleged upscale art forgery factory
Source: FBI Raids Alleged Art Forgery Ring in Michigan Woods
Old 04-22-2022, 07:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Really happy I never went heavy into autographed stuff. Just seemed way to sketchy. I don't care who your authenticator is, the science is shaky if non-existent, and some of the people doing it are sketchy as hell.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-22-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:47 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Really happy I never went heavy into autographed stuff. Just seemed way to sketchy. I don't care who your authenticator is, the science is shaky if non-existent, and some of the people doing it are sketchy as hell.
I fear for the day, if it ever comes, that people are somehow able to make fakes of iconic cards, using old cardboard stock or the likes.

I've purchased a few autographs. Nothing too significant, price wise, but it's certainly a dangerous game.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The very first catalog I saw after I started collecting again as an adult had multiple beautiful single signed Ruth balls, as did virtually every catalog after that. I'm like, I don't KNOW, but this just doesn't feel right.

Of course cards aren't exactly a clean hobby segment either.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-22-2022 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:08 AM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I fear for the day, if it ever comes, that people are somehow able to make fakes of iconic cards, using old cardboard stock or the likes.

I've purchased a few autographs. Nothing too significant, price wise, but it's certainly a dangerous game.
That day is soon on the horizon. I have lived for decades in China and other parts of Asia and have seen it all on fakes and how good the technology is becoming. There are really bad fakes in Asia and really really good ones, and everywhere in between. A region that fakes cars, lettuce, eggs, contact lens cleaner, clothes, shoes, toothpaste and on and on and on, will also fake trading cards. In fact, its already started.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:17 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Man, there's a whole world of sports CARD fraud out there, I hope some day we see THOSE indictments. I note that the crimes here at least the ones discussed were 2016 and 3017, and actually one traced back to 2005 (yikes), so it took some time for this to play out.
I have said this on the memorabilia side and people have called me crazy, but I have absolutely no doubt that after some # of months of practice I could sign a Babe Ruth ball that would pass in the hobby. The guy's name is 8 freakin' letters. There a few tell tale flourishes, but we are not talking counterfeiting one of the great Mormom Church historical documents. Which of course was done, repeatedly.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I have said this on the memorabilia side and people have called me crazy, but I have absolutely no doubt that after some # of months of practice I could sign a Babe Ruth ball that would pass in the hobby. The guy's name is 8 freakin' letters. There a few tell tale flourishes, but we are not talking counterfeiting one of the great Mormom Church historical documents. Which of course was done, repeatedly.
Who's authenticating these autographs? In many cases, a guy who allegedly authenticated a facsimile Churchill signature and at a deposition did not know if Ruth signed with his left or right hand. Count me a skeptic.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:35 AM
mŞttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Who's authenticating these autographs? In many cases, a guy who allegedly authenticated a facsimile Churchill signature and at a deposition did not know if Ruth signed with his left or right hand. Count me a skeptic.
What is the typical practice for authenticating a signed baseball? Is it simply someone looking and comparing the handwriting to a known example, or is there more to it than that?
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-22-2022, 11:40 AM
James M.

Quote:
Honestly while I tend to trust a JSA certification, even they get it wrong at times. I'd be more trusting of the opinion of some of the experienced autograph collectors here, or a couple that I know on Facebook.

Donscards.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:06 PM
Matt

There are going to be fraudulent pieces in all sectors of all hobbies where money circulates. One has to get deeply educated, cultivate a circle of really knowledgable fellow hobbyists who can offer helpful opinions on targeted pieces, and always seek quality provenance where it can be found.

Doctored cards remain a huge issue, for those who care beyond the sticker, and it is largely on the collector/hobbyist to perform his due diligence in parsing the good stuff from the bad.

I for one remain comfortable with bats, cards, signed stuff, all of it— if I’ve done all my homework and feel comfortable. Homework mitigates fear and though some fear can be helpful and an impetus for doing homework, fear can also paralyze a collector when that need not be the case.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:08 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
What is the typical practice for authenticating a signed baseball? Is it simply someone looking and comparing the handwriting to a known example, or is there more to it than that?
I’d like to know too. Is there a way to date the ink?
Old 04-22-2022, 12:57 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure is simply a visual examination against known exemplars. No carbon 14 testing or any high falutin' science like that.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
https://rehs.com/eng/2020/07/henkel-hoax/

HENKEL HOAX
July 10, 2020
An alleged forgery ring is unraveling after authorities garnered enough evidence to obtain a search warrant
for artist Donald “D.B” Henkel’s property in Traverse City, Michigan. According to reports, the FBI began
investigating the artist after learning he was involved in the sale of fake works ...
These forgers did not only use their talents in the art world, but ventured in the world of sports memorabilia. ...
Source: In north Michigan woods, feds raid an alleged upscale art forgery factory
Source: FBI Raids Alleged Art Forgery Ring in Michigan Woods
Anyone have any idea if the person named is related to or affiliated with artist / author / game designer
Donald G Henkel? He created and produced the tabletop game Call Pitch Baseball in 1974 out of his location
in Trenton Michigan (south of Detroit, opposite corner of the state from Traverse City).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/artsyt/2672701310
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl

Last edited by Butch7999; 04-22-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:08 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure is simply a visual examination against known exemplars. No carbon 14 testing or any high falutin' science like that.
I'm sure that all the opinion sellers exert the minimum amount of effort that gets them paid
Old 04-23-2022, 06:18 AM
Ben North

Quote:

This has already been going on for decades.

Last edited by bnorth; 04-23-2022 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:50 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
and sadly will keep going on for decades more

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-23-2022, 07:47 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Let me make a clarification then to my original post, we can still tell with a certain degree what cards are real and what are fake. When the day comes that the real and the fake are indistinguishable, then we have a problem.

Donscards.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:51 AM
octavio ranzola

Old news look at coaches corner this will never end never
Old 04-23-2022, 10:09 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Old news look at coaches corner this will never end never
As long as there's a market for it, I agree. There are very few people left on this earth, that saw Babe Ruth play, yet people still want to collect his signature. A smattering of prewar stars fit this bill, yet people still want their signatures. And unfortunately, when crooks see the opportunity to make a quick buck, they're going to do it.

Donscards.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:20 PM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
As long as there's a market for it, I agree. There are very few people left on this earth, that saw Babe Ruth play, yet people still want to collect his signature. A smattering of prewar stars fit this bill, yet people still want their signatures. And unfortunately, when crooks see the opportunity to make a quick buck, they're going to do it.
Thank you James agreed
Old 04-24-2022, 07:32 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Let me make a clarification then to my original post, we can still tell with a certain degree what cards are real and what are fake. When the day comes that the real and the fake are indistinguishable, then we have a problem.
Or not...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-24-2022, 07:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Sadly I agree with Scott. As I posted in another thread, people will just bury their heads in the flip, do cognitive dissonance, and go right on buying.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:16 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Yes you can as different chemicals were used back when vs today, How it can be done without damaging a piece I don't know.

May be one of those high faluting dating machines used to date artifacts...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:07 PM
Al

I’m glad I started focusing on collecting topps factory certified autos instead of signed cards authenticated by PSA, JSA etc. (I still have some in my collection) but for the most part I try to go with the topps factory certified autos first. I know those can be faked too but I think the topps factory certified autos have more of a Chance of being authentic be TPA slabbed autos
Old 04-28-2022, 06:01 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian bam bam View Post
I’m glad I started focusing on collecting topps factory certified autos instead of signed cards authenticated by PSA, JSA etc. (I still have some in my collection) but for the most part I try to go with the topps factory certified autos first. I know those can be faked too but I think the topps factory certified autos have more of a Chance of being authentic be TPA slabbed autos
But Al, just curious, isn't Topps using the same autograph market sources for the autographs they use in their certified autograph cards as collectors such as myself ? Not sure how that protects Topps (and therefore you) any more than buying either with or without TPA LOA from the marketplace. Or am I missing something in how Topps sources authentic autographs ?

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 04-28-2022 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:08 AM
Vincent Hecksel

It's certainly no guarantee that a bad autograph (intentional forgery, secretarial, mistaken identity, etc.) does not slip through, but something veteran autograph dealer Kevin Keating shared in a SCD article several decades ago struck home to a young collector (me). Identify who the "good guys" are in the vintage autograph market and concentrate your purchases from them. Good guys meaning integrity, expertise, knowledge, and willingness to stand behind the items they sell. Unfortunately, many of those "good guys" have retired or moved on to other parts of the autograph business. Certainly more difficult identifying who the good guys are now. And perhaps far fewer of them.