NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-26-2010, 04:32 AM
John

Default Mears Auction - Reach Catcher's Mitt

Some of you may remember the 1891 Reach catcher's mitt I recently listed on B/S/T and eBay. It took a while but I was finally able to sell it for $300. The buyer then put it in the latest Mears auction, that ended last night. Take a look at the link below. Any ideas on how or why it went for so much?

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...spx?lotid=8471
Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 AM

I'm not a glove expert, but in general items can sometimes have more cache when they are in a major auction. Also this time around it may have been seen by collectors who don't come to this site and didn't see it on ebay. It looks like the hammer price was about 525, so minus the seller's premium, the person probably made a profit of about 150-175 dollars.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 AM
John

I guess I wrongly assumed that most who visit the auction sites also visit ebay, forums, etc.
I know when I tried to sell, there was plenty of back and forth regarding it being a child's size vs. adult. (It measured 10" and I got 50/50 on opinions.)
I believe the description on Mears never mentioned size.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Joe

The discussion of child size could have significantly influenced the orginal $300 selling price and your initial difficulties in selling. Seems a bit suspect that there was no mention of size in the Mears listing - conveniently omitted. If I am the Mears buyer I may be disappointed when I get it. That being said, the prize doesn't surpise me that much. A bit higher, but the glove has nice appeal and two bidders attracted to it could easily increase the price.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Kevin O'Gara

thats mears not disclosing the size which makes a big difference. whoever bought the glove thinks its adult.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:40 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

People tend to be nitpickier on this particular site as well. If the glove measured 10", I (and most collectors) would consider it full-sized.

Mears likely has a huge contact list, in which their client base is made up of "hardcore" collectors as well as some novices. Someone was obviously attracted to the Crescent Pad as well as the white buckskin (which is somewhat rare and desirable).

I know I always have a more difficult time selling stuff here than on Ebay or consigning to a Mears or a Hunts type auction. I think it's because there are far fewer people viewing it, and the nature of buyer is more discriminating.

Plus (to Sayhey's point) there is more "glitz and glamour" in buying it from a major auction house than from a collector-to-collector B/S/T. Prospective buyers may not view the Mears item as something that someone is trying to "dump" - but rather "an amazing find from an acclaimed auction house". It's just how the flawed human brain tends to work!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 PM

I believe some well healed & busy investors stick with the major auctions, but for time saving and safety. eBay may be too much of a circus for them.

Of course this doesn't mean a seller can't do well selling something on his own, and can get a good price visa vie REA and Legendary. I'm sure you've sold items that you got more for than you would have if you consigned.

Last edited by drc; 02-26-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Jim D

the true value of an item is what someone is willing to pay for it! if someone is willing to pay $600 for a glove , and someone $603 , it is now worth $603, at least to that person.

Why higher then your auction?? it only takes 2 people that want the item to drive up a price! he had 2 more willing people, simple enough!...

Last edited by FUBAR; 02-26-2010 at 04:03 PM.