NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Default Philly Show this weekend...

Anyone going? After the Reading interlude, I thought the first show at Valley Forge was okay, and am giving it shot this Friday.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Philly Show

Looking forward to the show. I personally enjoyed the shows in Reading and did not think the location was that bad. I do like the location of the show better now. I always enjoy walking the aisles and looking at the stuff I can't afford. The best part is being able to talk to some of the nicest and most knowledgeable people in the hobby. I will be attending Friday night only.

Regards,
Ryan H.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Philly Show this weekend at Valley Forge, PA

Jim Rivera and I will be setting up at Booth # 408.

Looking forward to seeing some of you at the show Friday thru Sunday.

As usual we'll have several 100's of T206's....and many cards from 1887 to 1967.

TED Z
Old 09-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Phil Garry

I will be there on Friday and probably the first half of Saturday.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 PM
James Gallo

I will be there set up at booth 1303 in the back by the autograph area. I might have some odd interesting stuff including lots of Cracker Jacks and a few odd ball T206 errors and tougher backs.

Come by and say hi, I will be the younger looking guy with only some shinny crap :-D

James G
Old 09-22-2009, 07:49 PM

I'll be there on Sunday (possibly Saturday also).
Old 09-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Mike Schulze

If any attendee happens to run across one of my grandfather's cards (1913 or 1916 Zeenuts) "Hicks" Munsell, please pass along my email address or get me the seller's contact info. I'll be happy to pay a finder's fee if I can purchase one or both of these cards. Thanks guys!

mdschulze@yahoo.com

Last edited by mdschulze; 09-22-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: left out my email address
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Bob Hamlin

My father and I will be there on Sat....we been attending this show consistantly since the early 80's. Now when I take my son, a few dealers say " I remember you when you were that small". My 10 year old hasn't had the itch for baseball cards yet, so he is going to his baseball travel teams game. First one without me.

Ted, I have seen you at these shows for years, maybe it's time we introduce ourselves.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 PM

I'll miss the show this time because there is too much to do in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Bill H@e1ig

I'll be there either Saturday afternoon (depending on when my daughter's game ends) or Sunday
Old 09-23-2009, 05:20 AM
Jimmy M

I'll be there on Saturday. Looking forward to it, since I haven't bought much recently. Looking for Exhibits & M101-2s.

Jimmy
Old 09-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Steve Bloedow

I'll be there all weekend walking around, talking with clients and taking consignments for our Dec. 3 auction. I've been to a lot of shows, but this is my first Philly Show and I'm looking forward to it. PM me if you are interested in consigning - thanks.

Steve
Collect.com Auctions
Old 09-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Please stop by and say hello! I am booths 313 and 314 right next to Stevie Verkman.

I liked the Reading location and set up much better. I think the flow of traffic starting from the far left of the room was best. This will most likely be my last Philly show. I am considering the setting up at the White Plains show in March.

Dan Mckee
Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Phil Garry

Dan:

Based on my experience of attending every Philly & White Plains show held over the past 5+ years, I believe the plus side for you in doing the White Plains show is that you will have far less pre-war dealers to compete with, especially on the scarcer material like I know you carry. I guess the minus side is that many pre-war collectors already know this and may not frequent the White Plains show nearly as much as the Philly show.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Default Philly Show

I will be at the show Friday and most of Saturday.

Dan--You can't leave this show. Besides, it's a longer drive to White Plains, you'll develop an even greater thirst, and that could be dangerous!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Jim R

Might have some work to take care of Friday but will be there all day Saturday and Suday set up with Ted Z...
Old 09-24-2009, 06:14 AM

I agree with Dan. I wish it was still in Reading. But, I understand that Hunts wanted it closer to Philly. I wonder if this show is still the same quality as it was in the old Ft. Washington expo center a few years ago. I would normally go to this show, but it is too close to Yom Kippur.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:00 AM

While Reading was off the beaten path for most, I really enjoyed the show being there--I used to live 20 minutes up the road!

I have to agree with Phil's points on setting up with vintage at White Plains. Aside from the ECN show, there is a greater focus on modern material. I can imagine that my vintage autograph inventory would be ignored by collectors all scurrying around the venue in search of the cheapest Jeter or ARod
8X10. That show was rife with bad autographed modern-day material (as well as a ton of authentically-signed merchandise).
Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 PM

WOW! thanks guys, you saved me from doing the White Plains show. Terry Knouse suggested I do it but if it is shiny crap driven, forget it!

I am done with Philly, no way is it of the caliber of the old Fort Washington or Willow Grove shows.

And 3 a year when I am paying National prices???

Wrong answer.

Me and my JUNK will just go away and hide for the years to come.

Thanks for all of the killer support I have received from board members and others!! It was a great hobby for many years and though I do not agree with the grading part of it, it is still a serious hobby.

Enjoy
Dan
Old 09-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I'll be there Saturday & Sunday buying vintage for resell. I have a few favorite dealers that I always stop by where they work with me. Always looking for new contacts.
This is my 6th Phillly show. Not counting the National, this is my favorite.

Hope to see you there!

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 09-25-2009, 07:03 AM
Bill Hedin

Default Have fun at Philly to you all!

I miss those awesome shows, as I attended them and set up at Spring Garden College, and then Willow Grove in the 70's and 80's.
I went to my last Philly show in 2002.
With my declining health, I can't travel much anymore due to illness, but I honestly hope you all have a great time and find some superb stuff!
Have fun!
Regards,
Bill Hedin
Old 09-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Scott

I attended a couple back in the middle 80s or a bit later, at the Infamous George Washington Motor Lodge, in Willow Grove. The huge lines, the crammed hall, and the amazing stuff. Great memories. I remember meeting Chris Short in line once, having a chat. I had no clue who he was, t hen he told me, and it was an honor, and what a nice man.

I got a lot of nice things in those days, I also recall an incident where Al Rosen had some unopened grocery racks from the early 60s for sale, the 3cellos in a sleeve, and someone accused him of having fakes. Nearly a fistfight broke out too. ha.

Other things I recall bout that place: It was the first time I ever saw a real T 206 Wagner, and also saw the most T cards I had ever seen, from my Wayne Miller. Also, dealers like Brian Morris, Paul Lewicki, and others were great stuff.

PLus, I was able to make the four hour plus drive on an hours sleep down there. To be young again....
Old 09-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Bill Hedin

Default i,es!Philly Show Memori

H
Old 09-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Tony N.

Default Philly Show

Did anyone attend the Philly Show this weekend? If so, how was it, and how was the vintage card content?

I heard Legendary had a T208 Fireside Complete set on display that will be part of their November auction.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 09-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Joe P.

Default Ah yes, the George Washington Motor Lodge .....

Willow Grove ..... Who needed a National?

The best part ... if it was possible to top that show ... was what happened after the show.

I can recall a show that Bill Mastro was not set up in the show, but he did have a briefcase with him.
He walked around that show, and handed out to people he knew, a baseball like size & shape business card ... with his name and hotel room number.
At one of those gathering's, I picked up a brown T206 Lenox.
Till this day, I don't know which was better ... the show, or the gathering?
I still have a couple of those baseball shaped business cards, and that brown T206 Lenox.

Have luck at the Philly show.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Bob Hamlin

My father and I attended the show on Sat. There was a lot of vintage material as usual, but I heard something from one of the vendors that I thought I would never hear at a "Willow Grove" show. She said," Not all of the best dealers are hear this weekend"......This show used to be the best of the best, and while it is still the best show that my father and I attend (unless the National is close), and we still see great things...... its different now. Has Ebay changed these shows? Has the fact that everyone now has and Auction house changed things? Yeah, I still saw dealers there that I have seen since I was 10 yrs. old, but I didn't see dealers that I have for years and that NEVER missed that show.

Last edited by Bobsbats; 09-27-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Rich Klein

Default I know a lot of people did not like Schmeier (sic)

But; he NEVER scheduled the show to run during a Jewish holiday. In fact; he was very careful to avoid any such conflict. For anyone who is Jewish and setting up at this show; it might be very difficult to get back in time for Kol Nidre.
Just something for Hunt Auctions to consider for the future; especially if that affects dealers/customers in any way.

Rich
Old 09-27-2009, 02:59 PM

I only attended the show on Friday, so I can only speak from that experience. As I walked around the show, I noticed a few things:

1. Pre-war material was definitely there, although prices as usual seemed high. Lots of nice cards there (tobacco, caramel, cabinets, type cards, PCs, etc.). As mentioned, the T208s were a sight to see.

2. It seemed as though there were very few collectors there. I don't know if it was because it was Fri. evening, or the economy, but it seemed kind of dead. Many dealers sitting around with no customers and exasperated looks on their faces. I'm not sure if I even saw one kid under 12-13 y.o. the whole time I was there. That just can't be a good sign.

3. There seemed to be no excitement in the crowd, no sense of anticipation or eagerness from those waiting to get in. I remember at Ft. Wash there always seemed to be a "buzz" in the air as people waited to get in. Not so at the KOP show.

4. I know many hated the Reading site, maybe more so for location than venue, but I just don't like the KOP convention center. It seems so dark, and I just don't like the whole set-up.

5. I was finished looking after less than 2 hours. Normally, it would take a good 3-4 hours for me to look around on a Friday. There seemed to be an absence of some dealers who used to set up at Ft. Wash. If I wasn't waiting for a card to be slabbed at SGC, I would have left before 7pm.

6. Many nice dealers, but also the usual charming guys who don't even look up when you're perusing their merchandise. Also dealers who would rather chat with their buddies than make a sale. I waited a couple of times to ask a dealer a question, but after waiting a couple of minutes I just moved on. It's a shame, because I came home with a pocket still full of cash.

This is just my experience. I'm sure others have differing opinions, but I thought I'd share. It seems like it has changed so much even in the last three years. I've attended almost every show since around 1993 and although I like having less competition for cards, it's a little disheartening to see what the show has become. Hopefully Sat and today are better.

Mike
Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 AM

I was set up for the last time. I think the show has a dead atmosphere. Roger Nuefeldt a long time and full time dealer refused to do it and was smart. My VIP booth cost $1350 which is National prices and no one is buying unless they can beat you to death on price. I know the economy had a lot to do with it but that show has just been changed. I think for worse for the vintage dealers.

Anyway, I may shop it in December or March but I even doubt that.

I actually did ok, a bit better than the last time in Valley Forge, but not anywhere comparable to even my worst show at Reading.

Say what you want about ole Bob, but he knew how to run a great show!

I heard that the Gun show that was in the same exact building and floor last time only charged $60 a table.

I think I will start selling guns.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Dealers like Roger Neufeldt passing on the Philly show do not bode well for its future as a mecca for quality items. This is depressing but inevitable. Hopefully things will pick up or table fees will be lowered or else the National will be all that's left.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Jimmy M

Dan, I didn't realize a VIP booth was that much. Wow. I agree, it was pretty dull in there...even at peak time on Saturday. I'm sure the economy did keep the attendance down a bit, but it was still disappointing. Put it this way, while browsing a fellow board members booth, I looked next to me and Johnny Bench was going thru some old memorabilia...without practically a soul even noticing him! Being respectful of him, I didn't want to bother asking for a pic but I would have expected more of a reaction from at least a few people. That being said, the show is a short ride for me so I'll continue to attend. But, I really don't expect much from the shows.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:40 AM

Yea I am bummed, I really looked forward to the Philly shows to see people and find neat items. I would like to do a show in March and October but there really isn't many choices. May just have to hang up the show biz and just list all of my cards on ebay without dates in the title and starting at .99 in the cards category. Oh and I had a double booth.

Last edited by danmckee; 09-28-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Mark Macrae

Dan...If you start selling the vintage collectible guns, just be on the lookout for early Colt revolvers with the rare "Red" overprint. From what I hear, some T-206 guru has expanded his area of expertise... Mark
Old 09-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Hey Dan and Ted...

It was great talking to both of you . As usual, you were the highlights of the show .
Lyle
Old 09-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Jim R

Default Mark

that is funny!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:38 PM

That was priceless Mark!! Make sure you contact me before growing wings East next summer for national. Dan.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Cory L

I would have to agree the Philly show was dead on Saturday vs. how it was in March. Like others have stated, dealers tables were not busy. I felt some of the prices seemed high. I was able to pick up a few '38 Goudey. I wonder if the autograph signers they had hurt the show, no really big names. I plan on going to the Dec show as well..
Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 AM

When I first heard Bob Schmeirer of EPSCC was selling the Philly Show, my feeling was that it wasn't good news. I've heard the new facility is already being disliked by dealers, among other things, because it's turned into an autograph show. I think this show is very soon going to be history.