NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2014, 08:23 AM

To me an overrated card is one that is expensive for dopey reasons and not expensive because it's rare or even desired.

The Wags is expensive because it's known as an expensive card. It's not because it's the rarest card ever or even that it's really all that desired. Non-collectors only want it because they know it's expensive, not because it's a card of Honus Wagner and not because it's a T206. This is evident in all the coverage sales of the card get from outlets totally uninterested in baseball cards. So to me that makes it overrated.

Last edited by packs; 12-11-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

I think any variation of a common player that commands a huge premium is overrated. Hoblitzel no stats for example. The Doyle. Nodgrass. and so forth

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:38 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default value

Any time you buy something with intrinsic value, theres always a chance its 'overvalued' We aren't buying gold, heck even the US Dollar can be overvalued its just paper....I can do more with gold...

eventually I worry this is all just a Ponzi scheme and for the 3000 dollars cards..people will say its just cardboard..and not drawn by an artist..

i don't even understand why paintings go for millions but theres a market...when the economy collapses..the best of the best always have a market..but these lower condition cards .the PSA 1s-4s on the big cards i do think are overvalued..cause they will be first to go down..as the upper middle class buyers will have less money ...the PSA 8s that's a different story

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-11-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
To me an overrated card is one that is expensive for dopey reasons and not expensive because it's rare or even desired.
I like this rationale.

In my opinion:
T206 Titus - is this "coolness" solely because he is the only player depicted (to my knowledge) with a mustache in the set?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think the T207 Louis Lowdermilk card is overrated. It's not even that rare when compared to the other cards in the set according to the pop reports, and moreover, who the heck is this guy?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I think the T207 Louis Lowdermilk card is overrated. It's not even that rare when compared to the other cards in the set according to the pop reports, and moreover, who the heck is this guy?
who the heck are 95% of the players in the T206 set..

heck most future hopeful baseball card collectors don't know who the heck 95% of the baseball players are today let alone the 1990s or 80s...
Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
In my opinion:
T206 Titus - is this "coolness" solely because he is the only player depicted (to my knowledge) with a mustache in the set?
That, and he's being hoarded.