NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
You know, it's funny that you mentioned this..

I love Heritage, I always have. I frequent it more than eBay, I have spent more than I care to share and I do not mind how they conduct their business in the slightest. As for Coaches Corner, I have only bid on an item ONCE.

Now, I have had only ONE problem with Heritage and ONE problem with CC in my history with both. Surprisingly, Coaches Corner was the one to resolve the issue while Heritage left a sour taste in my mouth:

I bought a 1986 Fleer Jordan PSA 8 from Coaches Corner (stupid, I know). When I got it in the mail I noticed the case had obviously been tampered with. Surprisingly, CC immediately refunded my money and took the item back. I was happy to break even on that one.

I once bought a "Complete" 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set from Heritage. It was NM and I spent over $1,000 for it. A lot for the set. Well, I get the set in the mail and I notice the "Ted Signs" card (a valuable SP) is a counterfeit. I email Heritage and the response I get was rather rude:

BTW the title of the auction was "1959 Fleer Ted Williams High Grade Complete Set (79)"

"The set you purchased was a 79-card complete set and clearly says so in the title. There is no mention of card #68 being included because it is not. As is the case with the short-print ’33 Goudey Lajoie the is considered complete without it because of its scarcity. Did you really think that a sports auction house would not have mentioned the most valuable card in the set? …nor include it in the imaged cards? As a counterfeit, the card has no value and was included just to fill the space and is just an extra card. Including an extra card is not grounds for a refund. We were well aware it was not a real card; we did not mention it as we felt it added no value. For grading, all cards in sheets are reviewed regardless if they are in the pocket alone or sheeted back-to-back. I am sorry but we feel you received exactly what was listed in the title and the description. In the future if you feel a description is in the least ambiguous, both catalog and monthly auctions offer a three to four week bidding period designed to answer any questions."

Stupid me, I didn't realize that "complete" meant "missing the most important card in the set" and that this set is universally known as "complete" while missing the most valuable card! Not to mention comparing 1959 Fleer #68 to the Goudey Lajoie is absolutely ridiculous!

By simply stating "79 cards", not "79/80" or anything like that is completely misleading. I now know there are 80 cards in this set.

Aside from the overall condecending tone, I also was rather insulted by the remark "Including an extra card is not grounds for a refund." Yes, thank you, that is why I was upset, because you had the generosity to include an extra card in your otherwise "complete" set.

For me, Heritage is a love/hate relationship. I find nothing wrong with their auction previews. I do however, find some issues with how they treat their customers. I have placed $100,000's worth of bids, it shocks me that such a small issue is handled so poorly on their part.

Jason

this is the type of email i have received.

the "you must be stupid" so bite me -type email. i was so stupid i didnt know how a big auction house works so they were forced to do it this way, put up the junk beforehand without checking out the items first. this is what they told me in not a nice way. very condescending but i think as it regards the sports department it comes from the top as a corporate attitude by the leader of that dept., that's their style.

In comparison I have never gotten an email, phone call from other auction houses that are like that, like Goldin or Leland's, which I find very professional, and it concerned me that Heritage would send out such unprofessional emails, so I stopped helping them because really what's the use if they treat customers like that?

Last edited by travrosty; 08-23-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Travis, like I posted on the other thread. Give it a week. Or just post ETC. We will all understand.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

Thank you, I'm okay, i am still waiting for them to come on here and explain, but like Jerry Glanville, former coach of the Atlanta Falcons, leaving tickets for Elvis at the will call window, it's a long shot.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Thank you, I'm okay, i am still waiting for them to come on here and explain, but like Jerry Glanville, former coach of the Atlanta Falcons, leaving tickets for Elvis at the will call window, it's a long shot.
Or, to use another analogy, you have as much chance of Heritage getting back to you as we have of Nash doing an expose on the Cooperstown Forger!

Ken
Old 08-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Or, to use another analogy, you have as much chance of Heritage getting back to you as we have of Nash doing an expose on the Cooperstown Forger!

Ken
When you can prove that he is the Cooperstown forger you will be a hero. Until that time look at who works for Heritage and say HOF.
I just dont like saying things about people that you have no idea if it is true or not. Your analogy sucks.

Last edited by shelly; 08-23-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
When you can prove that he is the Cooperstown forger you will be a hero. Until that time look at who works for Heritage and say HOF.
I just dont like saying things about people that you have no idea if it is true or not. Your analogy sucks.
Where did he say that Nash was the Cooperstown forger? He simply said that the odds were the same as Nash doing an expose on the Cooperstown forger. It is interesting that Mr Nash has never even mentioned it on his blog, don't you think?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Heritage putting up junk on their website for all to see. fake ALI

Away from the the original topic of this thread, I do find it pretty unsettling that Heritage would share information about a registered bidder with Leon. I am a registered bidder and active here and I certainly hope that my information would remain protected. Even something as simple as why Travis was banned is still info that should not have been shared with a third party.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 08-24-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Where did he say that Nash was the Cooperstown forger? He simply said that the odds were the same as Nash doing an expose on the Cooperstown forger. It is interesting that Mr Nash has never even mentioned it on his blog, don't you think?
Ditto. ZERO chance Nash writes an expose' on the Cooperstown forger.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

What did that mention of Nash have anything to do but get you guys started again. It has been almost a month.
Dan dont be a total ass. You know exactly what Ken meant.

Last edited by shelly; 08-24-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Away from the the original topic of this thread, I do find it pretty unsettling that Heritage would share information about a registered bidder with Leon. I am a registered bidder and active here and I certainly hope that my information would remain protected. Even something as simple as why Travis was banned is still info that should not have been shared with a third party.
Technically, he is no longer a registered bidder, but I realize that wasn't the point of your statement. Keep in mind that Travis has been on here almost daily trumpeting how he was banned from bidding, giving his take on the reasons why, and daring Heritage to come on here and say otherwise. Heritage "sharing information" with Leon in this case is just them giving their side of the story. It's not like they also gave Leon his credit card number, home address, social security number, etc. I would consider it more along the lines of Leon fact-checking a story than Heritage purposely leaking a bidder's confidential information.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Default An update

I would just like to mention that Chris Ivy reached out to me personally and apologized for the email I posted above. He was more than helpful and was able to rectify the situation entirely.

Jason
Old 08-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Gee, you think where all dumb on this site. When do you ever come over here except to go after Nash.or anyone that questions the auction houses you love so dearly. I dont think for one second that there is on person that could not read into that message. If not, then they still must think the Wagner card is not trimmed.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Technically, he is no longer a registered bidder, but I realize that wasn't the point of your statement. Keep in mind that Travis has been on here almost daily trumpeting how he was banned from bidding, giving his take on the reasons why, and daring Heritage to come on here and say otherwise. Heritage "sharing information" with Leon in this case is just them giving their side of the story. It's not like they also gave Leon his credit card number, home address, social security number, etc. I would consider it more along the lines of Leon fact-checking a story than Heritage purposely leaking a bidder's confidential information.
Lance, not the point. If they want to say why Travis is out. They should do it. It is not up to Leon or anyone else to answere for them.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Christopher Williams

If Travis wants to play the martyr, who are we to get in his way.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Gee, you think where all dumb on this site. When do you ever come over here except to go after Nash.or anyone that questions the auction houses you love so dearly. I dont think for one second that there is on person that could not read into that message. If not, then they still must think the Wagner card is not trimmed.
WTF, Shelly! Dan posts here all the time--he's always sharing his collection and his new acquisitions.

(On the other hand, you've been doing little but fu*kin' up, lately. Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?)
Old 08-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
WTF, Shelly! Dan posts here all the time--he's always sharing his collection and his new acquisitions.

(On the other hand, you've been doing little but fu*kin' up, lately. Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?)
What?

"Doing little but fu*ckin' up lately?"

Please explain.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Eh, whatever, I post pickups in the monthly threads, ask questions about autographs, et cetera and I don't even really consider myself an autograph collector. As for the auction houses I love, post some examples of this "love" please. I may not be able to contribute in the same way you are, but I am here contributing more than just talk about your buddy Peter Nash.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned

There was no fact checking if leon isnt willing to share the "reason" heritage gave either. if its still a secret to everyone except heritage and leon, then why does leon need to know? I too find it in bad taste to share account holder info. I still don't know the real reason i was banned, so leon gets to know? why not tell me?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
There was no fact checking if leon isnt willing to share the "reason" heritage gave either. if its still a secret to everyone except heritage and leon, then why does leon need to know? I too find it in bad taste to share account holder info. I still don't know the real reason i was banned, so leon gets to know? why not tell me?
I guess the same goes for "The Planet."

My registration was refused, but I'd sure like to know why Mrs. Roste refused me being a member.....
Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
You were told not to email any execs at Heritage and you did...that got you banned. Either your comprehension sucks or you are being obtuse. Which is it?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Eh, whatever, I post pickups in the monthly threads, ask questions about autographs, et cetera and I don't even really consider myself an autograph collector. As for the auction houses I love, post some examples of this "love" please. I may not be able to contribute in the same way you are, but I am here contributing more than just talk about your buddy Peter Nash.

Dan, you are as big of an ass as I thought. No one on this thread is my buddy except three people who I respect. By the way when you are you twenty you have buddy"s when your 73 you have friends. When your my age you also knwo when some one is really full of shit.

Last edited by shelly; 08-25-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
You were told not to email any execs at Heritage and you did...that got you banned. Either your comprehension sucks or you are being obtuse. Which is it?
I was not told anything of the sort. CEO's and executives are there for the customers, COMPLAINTS AND ALL. I only sent one email to the chairman, it wasn't a campaign like jonathan said. So they aren't being forthright. You don't know anything about it, were you there? You and Leon are now spokesmen for Heritage?

funny I got banned around the same time as the other chaps. Mark O. didn't email the execs, what did he do? He was asked to call Heritage, and he got brushed off, with no explanation. You got a convenient excuse for him too?

Last edited by travrosty; 08-25-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lance, not the point. If they want to say why Travis is out. They should do it. It is not up to Leon or anyone else to answere for them.
This is exactly right. I can talk about what I want about Heritage, I am the customer, but they are the professional company. I can share what I say to my doctor with anyone, but they can't share what they say to me with anyone at all. If Leon goes to the pharmacy and they refuse to fill his prescription, he can come here and ask why and say what he wants, but I as a third party, moderator or not, can't go to his pharmacist and ask why and get an explanation from the pharmacist as to why Leon's prescription was refused.

IF you say that they only relayed an explanation as to why I was banned to Leon, not customer information like credit cards, etc. then would it be okay if an auction house told a third party about what lots you bid on, that you bid on three mantles, a gretzky, and an ernie banks? Is that okay? That's not personal identification information? When does it end. We all know that no other auction house would do what Heritage does, talk to others about account holders. Ask around, right now, ask the other auction guys here if they would do that.

It's called being a professional company, they should try it sometime.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-25-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
I guess the same goes for "The Planet."

My registration was refused, but I'd sure like to know why Mrs. Roste refused me being a member.....
What?!? No transparency?!? No free and open exchange of ideas?!? No detailed explanations of why determinations were made?

You mean Travis and his pals do he same thing they loudly and chronically criticize others for?

Say it ain't so.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
What?!? No transparency?!? No free and open exchange of ideas?!? No detailed explanations of why determinations were made?

You mean Travis and his pals do he same thing they loudly and chronically criticize others for?

Say it ain't so.
Yep, it is so.

I was not given a reason why my membership was rejected by Mrs. Nora Roste.

No explanation. Nothing.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-25-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Dan, you are as big of an ass as I thought. No one on this thread is my buddy except three people who I respect. By the way when you are you twenty you have buddy"s when your 73 you have friends. When your my age you also knwo when some one is really full of shit.
Sorry, I meant your friend, Peter Nash.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Yep, it is so.

I was not given a reason why my membership was rejected by Mrs. Nora Roste.

No explanation. Nothing.
They already have Todd Mueller - they don't need any more guys who know autographs.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
They already have Todd Mueller - they don't need any more guys who know autographs.
Scott, that seriously cracked me up!!!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Sorry, I meant your friend, Peter Nash.
I really want to know why you would think that Nash is my friend. It would be like me saying Travis is like a brother to you. I read what he writes and believe a lot of what he says is true. If that makes him my friend then you use that word very loosely. Friends are people that I have full trust in. Like when you write about how great the auction houses are.

Last edited by shelly; 08-25-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I really want to know why you would think that Nash is my friend. It would be like me saying Travis is like a brother to you. I read what he writes and believe a lot of what he says is true. If that makes him my friend then you use that word very loosely. Friends are people that I have full trust in. Like when you write about how great the auction houses are.
Eh, whatever...I could be mean, but you're a pretty easy target so I won't.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Eh, whatever...I could be mean, but you're a pretty easy target so I won't.
Really, please do mention that over 14 years ago I was arrested for forgery. I have never said anything but that fact. That is why I trust just a few people and you are so petty that you would never be one them.:
I always find it amazing when people have nothing to say excepet bull shit that is how you attack.
You found it really discusting that Nash would bring up Leon. You made it clear whether you said it or not. At least Nash had the balls to say it.
Your are a very small person.

Last edited by shelly; 08-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:24 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Really, please do mention that over 14 years ago I was arrested for forgery. I have never said anything but that fact. That is why I trust just a few people and you are so petty that you would never be one them.:
I always find it amazing when people have nothing to say excepet bull shit that is how you attack.
You found it really discusting that Nash would bring up Leon. You made it clear whether you said it or not. At least Nash had the balls to say it.
Wow, I kinda remember that. "Shelly's Cards" or something like that from Southern California??? That's you??? Your the guy who convicted of selling forged autographs and did some prison time???
Old 08-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
Wow, I kinda remember that. "Shelly's Cards" or something like that from Southern California??? That's you??? Your the guy who convicted of selling forged autographs and did some prison time???
Yes, and you are problably the only person on this site that did not know it. Know that you do does that change anything.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:04 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Yes, and you are problably the only person on this site that did not know it. Know that you do does that change anything.
Well, I doubt I'm the only person who didn't know, but I am pretty new to the board. As far as "changing anything" goes, I'm not sure what you mean by that...
Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 PM

Don't worry about it, Dan. Shelly's got a great big chip on his shoulder regarding his past.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
Well, I doubt I'm the only person who didn't know, but I am pretty new to the board. As far as "changing anything" goes, I'm not sure what you mean by that...
Dan not a thing. I just noticed that you just came on to the board. Most everyone knows my past Did not mean to jump down your throat.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Dan not a thing. I just noticed that you just came on to the board. Most everyone knows my past Did not mean to jump down your throat.
Not a problem Shelly. I spent the vast majority of my adult life dealing with convicted felons whose crimes were much more serious than some small time white-color stuff. I can pretty much take anything that comes my way...
Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Well, I wasn't going to be that mean...I was thinking more along the lines of your obvious comprehension problems and the fact that you continually have to apologize for misunderstanding. You jumped down my throat a month or so back for something you totally misunderstood, and I'm guessing your continuing animosity towards me is because you still don't understand that I wasn't putting you down.

As far as Nash goes, I was hammering him in this forum long before he mentioned Leon in one of his blog posts. Your Pavlovian defense of Nash is why I call him your buddy. It's quite obvious you guys are pals, you don't have to deny it.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Well, I wasn't going to be that mean...I was thinking more along the lines of your obvious comprehension problems and the fact that you continually have to apologize for misunderstanding. You jumped down my throat a month or so back for something you totally misunderstood, and I'm guessing your continuing animosity towards me is because you still don't understand that I wasn't putting you down.

As far as Nash goes, I was hammering him in this forum long before he mentioned Leon in one of his blog posts. Your Pavlovian defense of Nash is why I call him your buddy. It's quite obvious you guys are pals, you don't have to deny it.
Dan dont you think you react to everything that Nash says just like a puppy when you ring the bell for food. I would rather have a problem tying to comprehen what you say than be a lap dog for all your auction houses. I have never met Peter Nash but I find him a lot more entertaining than you.
I apoligize when I am wrong. That is why you dont see me saying I am sorry about anything I say about you.

Last edited by shelly; 08-25-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Banned

It's common to get slammed on here for liking anything hos has on their site. they jump on you for being a pal or buddy or whatever of hos or nash, this is to deflect from the stories he's uncovered, stories you won't find in the hobby publications, the stories they don't dare run. Trying to paint someone guilty by association or trying to embarrass someone to stop information or criticism from getting out is deplorable and a version of that is what they did in the 1950's on a much bigger scale and you know what it was called. It is practiced with one of its goals to stop or restrict dissent/criticism.

If someone doesn't like hos or nash, fine, no problem, but to point to others and say you can't read, believe, enjoy, or agree with what is posted less you be the "bad guy" is ridiculous and it should stop. I disagree with several on this board, but never tell them they can't be acquaintances or friends with whoever they want, i never tell them shouldn't believe whatever they want, I only tell them when I believe they are wrong or disagree with their opinion. But hos touches a nerve so you get the firing squad every time you mention them.

What I don't understand is if people have a problem with what HOS writes, simply rebut and provide your argument against what he writes if what he is writing is incorrect. When I call out a boxing autograph and say that abc or xyz wrongly authenticated something, I provide proof, show side by side and dissect, analyze the differences to prove my point, but I don't see anti-hos people doing that. It is always shoot the messenger.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-26-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 AM
Rich Klein

Default Are you sure the cards were not graded

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
You know, it's funny that you mentioned this..

I love Heritage, I always have. I frequent it more than eBay, I have spent more than I care to share and I do not mind how they conduct their business in the slightest. As for Coaches Corner, I have only bid on an item ONCE.

Now, I have had only ONE problem with Heritage and ONE problem with CC in my history with both. Surprisingly, Coaches Corner was the one to resolve the issue while Heritage left a sour taste in my mouth:

I bought a 1986 Fleer Jordan PSA 8 from Coaches Corner (stupid, I know). When I got it in the mail I noticed the case had obviously been tampered with. Surprisingly, CC immediately refunded my money and took the item back. I was happy to break even on that one.

I once bought a "Complete" 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set from Heritage. It was NM and I spent over $1,000 for it. A lot for the set. Well, I get the set in the mail and I notice the "Ted Signs" card (a valuable SP) is a counterfeit. I email Heritage and the response I get was rather rude:

BTW the title of the auction was "1959 Fleer Ted Williams High Grade Complete Set (79)"

"The set you purchased was a 79-card complete set and clearly says so in the title. There is no mention of card #68 being included because it is not. As is the case with the short-print ’33 Goudey Lajoie the is considered complete without it because of its scarcity. Did you really think that a sports auction house would not have mentioned the most valuable card in the set? …nor include it in the imaged cards? As a counterfeit, the card has no value and was included just to fill the space and is just an extra card. Including an extra card is not grounds for a refund. We were well aware it was not a real card; we did not mention it as we felt it added no value. For grading, all cards in sheets are reviewed regardless if they are in the pocket alone or sheeted back-to-back. I am sorry but we feel you received exactly what was listed in the title and the description. In the future if you feel a description is in the least ambiguous, both catalog and monthly auctions offer a three to four week bidding period designed to answer any questions."

Stupid me, I didn't realize that "complete" meant "missing the most important card in the set" and that this set is universally known as "complete" while missing the most valuable card! Not to mention comparing 1959 Fleer #68 to the Goudey Lajoie is absolutely ridiculous!

By simply stating "79 cards", not "79/80" or anything like that is completely misleading. I now know there are 80 cards in this set.

Aside from the overall condecending tone, I also was rather insulted by the remark "Including an extra card is not grounds for a refund." Yes, thank you, that is why I was upset, because you had the generosity to include an extra card in your otherwise "complete" set.

For me, Heritage is a love/hate relationship. I find nothing wrong with their auction previews. I do however, find some issues with how they treat their customers. I have placed $100,000's worth of bids, it shocks me that such a small issue is handled so poorly on their part.

Jason
by a TPG. The reason I asked, was out of curiosity, I went to the Heritage Site this morning to check on your story. They had 85 completed auctions for 1959 Ted WIlliams and the only items which may have been over $1000 were sets which were in TPG holders. If so, then a higher price makes sense.

Here is a link to Heritage's 1959 Ted Wililams listings. You do need to sign in and be registered.

http://www.ha.com/c/search-results.z...r+ted+williams

And I will tell you that in old sets and modern sets the SP card is not always considered part of the complete set. Instead that becomes part of a master set.

Rich
Old 08-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
trying to embarrass someone to stop information or criticism from getting out is deplorable and a version of that is what they did in the 1950's on a much bigger scale and you know what it was called. It is practiced with one of its goals to stop or restrict dissent/criticism.
This is hilarious coming from someone who does not allow any dissent at all on his own website. Why won't you allow Chris or Steve to sign up for your forum? You ever had a post on Net54 deleted? Have you ever been silenced here? You've overplayed your McCarthyism card, time to turn to Nazi Germany.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
It's common to get slammed on here for liking anything hos has on their site. they jump on you for being a pal or buddy or whatever of hos or nash, this is to deflect from the stories he's uncovered, stories you won't find in the hobby publications, the stories they don't dare run. Trying to paint someone guilty by association or trying to embarrass someone to stop information or criticism from getting out is deplorable and a version of that is what they did in the 1950's on a much bigger scale and you know what it was called. It is practiced with one of its goals to stop or restrict dissent/criticism.

If someone doesn't like hos or nash, fine, no problem, but to point to others and say you can't read, believe, enjoy, or agree with what is posted less you be the "bad guy" is ridiculous and it should stop. I disagree with several on this board, but never tell them they can't be acquaintances or friends with whoever they want, i never tell them shouldn't believe whatever they want, I only tell them when I believe they are wrong or disagree with their opinion. But hos touches a nerve so you get the firing squad every time you mention them.

What I don't understand is if people have a problem with what HOS writes, simply rebut and provide your argument against what he writes if what he is writing is incorrect. When I call out a boxing autograph and say that abc or xyz wrongly authenticated something, I provide proof, show side by side and dissect, analyze the differences to prove my point, but I don't see anti-hos people doing that. It is always shoot the messenger.
Travis, do you refute the White Betsy columns? They were laid out very convincingly with proof.

Ken
Old 08-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Dan dont you think you react to everything that Nash says just like a puppy when you ring the bell for food. I would rather have a problem tying to comprehen what you say than be a lap dog for all your auction houses. I have never met Peter Nash but I find him a lot more entertaining than you.
I apoligize when I am wrong. That is why you dont see me saying I am sorry about anything I say about you.
You still have provided not one single cite proving I'm a lap dog for the auction houses. Richard Simon tried this tactic on me too until I provided links of my criticism of pretty much all of them...he apologized for being wrong.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Jeff

Shelly,
I have been here a long time, a long time.
Dan is NO lap dog for the auction houses.

Jeff

And FWIW it's worth, until Mr. Nash deals with his own transgressions in the same way he deals with everyone else's he will be viewed with a jaded eye by many, many people. That doesn't make what he says right, wrong or indifferent - it's just the way it is.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 08-26-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
they jump on you for being a pal or buddy or whatever of hos or nash, this is to deflect from the stories he's uncovered, stories you won't find in the hobby publications, the stories they don't dare run.
Travis, the above statement is b.s. - not only is no one deflecting from his stories, much of the information in his stories was plagiarized directly from this site;e.g-the Brooklyn Atlantics cdv stuff.

Quote:
tIf someone doesn't like hos or nash, fine, no problem, but to point to others and say you can't read, believe, enjoy, or agree with what is posted less you be the "bad guy" is ridiculous and it should stop.
I agree with the above, but it's mostly just a straw man scenario. The association some people here actually make is that you are a "bad guy" if you support and defend Nash. That's quite different from the situation you describe.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
This is hilarious coming from someone who does not allow any dissent at all on his own website. Why won't you allow Chris or Steve to sign up for your forum?...
Just to clarify, I have never attempted to sign up and have no interest in doing so.

I was simply relaying the information that Chris and one other (credible) person I know have attempted and were denied.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Travis, the above statement is b.s. - not only is no one deflecting from his stories, much of the information in his stories was plagiarized directly from this site;e.g-the Brooklyn Atlantics cdv stuff.
And I suspect much of what he writes is relayed to him from people who frequent Net54 but don't want to put it out there themselves. Thus his penchant for "Sources say..." type journalism.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Banned

it's funny that the biggest problem people have is that its nash reporting and not the actual stories, because 99% of the complaining of hos has nothing to do with the actually articles and stories written. They don't like the reports so they shoot the messenger. If the reports are so objectionable then refute them. But people don't, they spend the time on Nash bash, it's so stupid. If SCB and Beckert did their job as hobby publications they would sometimes report on the hobby's shortcomings but they can't do that because of advertising and loyalties. they couldnt even kick off roach's corner off of their own ads for years but they are going to report on stolen hof and fake autographs, cards? there is no way. hos is filling a gap and some don't like it, but can't refute the material so they find others ways to divert so we get "let's tar and feather the guy who reports it. dumb. how about we help find the stolen material, keep them from being auctioned off and return them to the HOF and the New York and Boston PL system? Think that might work?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
it's funny that the biggest problem people have is that its nash reporting and not the actual stories, because 99% of the complaining of hos has nothing to do with the actually articles and stories written. They don't like the reports so they shoot the messenger. If the reports are so objectionable then refute them. But people don't, they spend the time on Nash bash, it's so stupid. If SCB and Beckert did their job as hobby publications they would sometimes report on the hobby's shortcomings but they can't do that because of advertising and loyalties. they couldnt even kick off roach's corner off of their own ads for years but they are going to report on stolen hof and fake autographs, cards? there is no way. hos is filling a gap and some don't like it, but can't refute the material so they find others ways to divert so we get "let's tar and feather the guy who reports it. dumb. how about we help find the stolen material, keep them from being auctioned off and return them to the HOF and the New York and Boston PL system? Think that might work?
Travis, in your honor, I only read the first two sentences of the above, and also in your honor, I won't respond directly to any of it.

I really wish everyone would communicate with you the same way that you communicate with us. Then you would see how frustrating and worthless such discourse is.

You have a lot of knowledge, but no desire for two-way communication, and that's a shame.