NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Default Baseball History: dvd's and cd's

Posted By: runscott 

I'm about to purchase Ken Burn's "Baseball", already have the cd set of "The Glory of Their Times". These two items are fantastic.

Any other baseball history dvd's or cd's anyone could recommend? I'm especially interested in anything with pre-wwI film footage

Old 12-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nickinvegas

It is not pre-war but the three disk set of "When it was a game" is a great collection of 1950 & 60's 8mm tapes. You are sure to enjoy it.

Nick

Old 12-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

The Ken Burns series is very good. It has its share of mistakes, but overall it is the only pre war video that I know of.

Old 12-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I am curious as to what mistakes you are refering to. I haven't seen it since its original airing on PBS, but I do know that he worked closely with SABR on this project to make sure that it was accurate as possible.

Jay

Old 12-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I taped all "innings" except one and two, and they were really, really good. I have since been told that the pre-wwI stuff is mostly stills, which doesn't excite me.

As far as any help Burns got from SABR, I know very little about SABR except they have issued some interesting publications that you can buy cheap on ebay every now and then. Jay has tempted me several times to visit their web-site - each time I've been turned away by the $50 membership and uncertainly as to what that really gives me - not that it isn't worth it, they just haven't sold me. In any case, here's their web-site so that you can come to your own conclusions:

http://www.sabr.org/sabr.cfm?m=34

Old 12-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

It has been a long time since I have viewed the videos, but I do remember watching all of the tapes and noticing several historical mistakes that they made- especially in the early chapters. One that stands out in my mind was Cummings' discovery of the curve ball which is generally considered bogus. If I have time over my Xmas vacation, I will pop in a video and see what else stands out to me.

Old 12-25-2003, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The reference to Cummings may ahve been as to why he was in the HOF. Not sure if at the point in time it was agreed that Cummings did not invent the curve ball, but that is the reason he is in that hall.

When you rewatch the program you need to also remember that changes may have occured since it's production that were not known at the time.

Jay