NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Richard Simon

Default I received an e mail today , oh how they lie

I received an e mail today offering me a 1957 NY Giants signed ball.
As I always do, I asked for pictures of the ball.
I received a bunch of pictures including these three pictures.
I wrote to him after I got the pictures and explained to him that he has a souvenir ball, printed by a machine, which does not have a lot of value and that I would not be interested in it.
Here is his reply:
"okay. I have all letters of authenticity and factual proof. my great ant received it waiting in line to get it signed there's photo documentation of the experience, meeting and shaking hands with the players. but have a nice day."
Well, I asked him to send me a copy of a letter of authenticity and that was three hours ago.
I am still waiting for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giants1.jpg (65.3 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg giants2.jpg (65.2 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg giants3.jpg (66.3 KB, 465 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Tom

Great ant? You can clearly see the signatures are printed on the ball. I wonder if he is confusing this ball with another?
Old 07-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Christopher Williams

I have, over the years, observed dozens of sellers listing souvenir baseballs as hand-signed autographs.

It is unbelievable that the aforementioned sellers have those souvenir baseballs in their hands and are unable to see what they really are.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Rich Nelson

How can Stu Miller sign over the laces and still make a perfect S? Obviously a souvenir ball.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Richard Simon

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
Great ant? You can clearly see the signatures are printed on the ball. I wonder if he is confusing this ball with another?
I have had so many printed balls offered to me.
The current owner insists that a family member got the autographs 50 years ago. None of them ever confused the ball, none of them had a clue and many of them got mad at me for pointing out the obvious. A few did thank me for helping them but most are unhappy or angry but this jerk was the first to insist he had authenticity papers and photos of the signing. Like I said in the OP I am still waiting .
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Maybe his aunt worked in a souvenir factory.
Drew
Old 07-06-2015, 09:53 AM
J@son.K

Aside from this seller's obvious lie (about having the documentation), there really are a lot of folks out there who can't tell the difference from a real signed ball versus a printed facsimile ball (surprisingly).
Old 07-06-2015, 06:16 PM
Shale Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Aside from this seller's obvious lie (about having the documentation), there really are a lot of folks out there who can't tell the difference from a real signed ball versus a printed facsimile ball (surprisingly).
How right you are. A number of years ago I was having dinner for the holidays at a friends house and he asked me to come look at a baseball he had. He proceeded to tell me his uncle got it signed at a Brooklyn Dodger game. My first mistake was not saying "wow nice ball", instead I proceeded to tell him it was a souvenir facsimile ball and he got a bit miffed. I should have quit then but not me! I went home got the same ball as he had that I bought on ebay and showed him. Karma has whiplash, we never see much of each other these days and I know he still thought I was full of crap. Moral of story for next time:
WOW that is a GREAT BALL you lucky dog!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
How right you are. A number of years ago I was having dinner for the holidays at a friends house and he asked me to come look at a baseball he had. He proceeded to tell me his uncle got it signed at a Brooklyn Dodger game. My first mistake was not saying "wow nice ball", instead I proceeded to tell him it was a souvenir facsimile ball and he got a bit miffed. I should have quit then but not me! I went home got the same ball as he had that I bought on ebay and showed him. Karma has whiplash, we never see much of each other these days and I know he still thought I was full of crap. Moral of story for next time:
WOW that is a GREAT BALL you lucky dog!
In these cases I have found that family members lie an awful lot.
Grandfathers and uncles are the biggest liars .
--
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I find most people will believe what they want to believe in their mind and heart no matter what the evidence is to the contrary. Most want to believe in their family rather than an outsider , and that is just human nature .
Old 07-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Ant?

Richard,

Too funny. Not sure why but it reminded me of this silly joke:

Why was the baby ant confused? Because all his uncles were ants.

I think this collector is also clearly confused!

Peace, Mike
Old 07-07-2015, 10:40 AM
J@son.K

But I won't completely put down facsimile signed balls.

To be honest, even though I have hundreds of authentically signed balls in my collection now (I hope they're authentic!), one of the most treasured ones I have is a facsimile Dodgers team ball from the '70s that I got as a kid at Dodger Stadium. It was probably my first baseball memorabilia item and even though I was 8 years old and knew the signatures were just printed on there, I would still spend a lot of time just staring at it as it gave me a special feeling looking at all the different signatures.

I guess those feelings stuck with me and now I'm addicted to spending too much money on signed balls.

Last edited by djson1; 07-07-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Jim Murphy

Just the opposite in my house. My FIL doesn't believe a thing we tell him, his faith is in joe on the trolley