NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-16-2015, 09:25 AM

Default Auction House Certs

Just wondering what the perception is of the practice of auction houses charging their consignors fees in order to obtain auction letters (pre-certified, not full letters) before placing items in an auction. Not naming any particular auction, but I am running into that now in looking to submit some consignments. Seemed that in the past this was done "in house," so to speak, with the TPA presumably rummaging through lots and pre-certifiying them prior to auction, but with no charge to the consignor...at least that had been my experience previously. Care to comment?
Old 04-16-2015, 09:34 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaysFan View Post
Just wondering what the perception is of the practice of auction houses charging their consignors fees in order to obtain auction letters (pre-certified, not full letters) before placing items in an auction. Not naming any particular auction, but I am running into that now in looking to submit some consignments. Seemed that in the past this was done "in house," so to speak, with the TPA presumably rummaging through lots and pre-certifiying them prior to auction, but with no charge to the consignor...at least that had been my experience previously. Care to comment?
Is that for Auction LOA's/Pre-Certs or is that for the actually LOA/Cert itself? I've seen a charge to the consignor for the latter, not sure I've seen the former.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:53 AM

Happy to clarify.....well, actually it's for both. Like you, I have been aware of charges for basic certs or full letters being passed on to the consignor, and those charges are being levied here, but it's the charges for the auction LOAs (pre-certs) in particular that are giving me pause. Maybe there's a push by the TPAs to collect additional funds for their time? Otherwise, why charge the consignor for something the eventual winner can upgrade at his own choosing?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 AM

I'd find it strange that an auction house would want the consignor to pay fees for authentication. They are taking the item because they think it's authentic.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:56 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

With Pre-certified lots, you pay for a physical LOA if you want it. You can instead use a copy of the auction listing as equivalent to show the autograph(s) were pre-certified. The auction catalog description can be used as documentation the autographs were pre-certified, and I know of eBay dealers who do just that.

I would imagine that the pre-certification method was the authenticators' idea not the auction houses'.

Last edited by drcy; 04-16-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:58 AM

That's for the buyers. But the question is about asking the consignor to cough up authentication fees for their lot. Unless I'm reading it wrong.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:06 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I know many auction houses, including REA, have long charged consignors for LOA certification for game used. For what that piece of information is worth in this discussion.

I've consigned items before but nothing that ever required additional LOA, so don't know how it works first hand.

Last edited by drcy; 04-16-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:21 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I'd find it strange that an auction house would want the consignor to pay fees for authentication. They are taking the item because they think it's authentic.
But many auction houses do charge the consignor for the LOA fee. Sometimes, you can negotiate that and they will pay, but many of the ones I've dealt with do want you to pay that fee...at least they try to get that out of you initially.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:50 PM

I could see both sides but that's kind of lame. Seems like a cost of doing business kind of thing for a high value item. As a buyer I don't mind auction house LOAs.

Last edited by packs; 04-16-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:10 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaysFan View Post
Just wondering what the perception is of the practice of auction houses charging their consignors fees in order to obtain auction letters (pre-certified, not full letters) before placing items in an auction.
I have not thought about this before, but as a buyer I do have a perception of the auction LOA's themselves. To me personally, they're not worth the paper they are printed on, because now that it is printed on I can't use it.

I would be interested to learn to learn for certain that anyone from the TPA actually looks at a lot of the items for which these auction LOA's are printed.

Having said that, I guess I would be miffed if I was a consignor and an auction house wanted to charge me for that service.

Last edited by timzcardz; 05-01-2015 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Added "not" to "they're not worth" (I somehow left that out)
Old 04-17-2015, 09:37 AM

It's pretty routine for houses to allow the buyer to pay for a full LOA rather than a pre-cert or an auction house LOA. That's totally fine with me. I do it when I buy from RR.

But I would be pretty annoyed if they asked me as a consignor to pay for the cert prior to auction. I still feel like if they have doubts they should not accept my item. And the same goes for having doubts about an item with a cert.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I was recently asked to pay for a COA on an item I wanted to consign. I told the AH to piss up a rope. If I am going to pay for a COA from a reputable authenticator I will just sell the authenticated item directly myself on eBay and control what I get for the item, at a net 13% cost. Why would I give an AH a 20%-ish BP and pay for the COA and lose control of the outcome?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
As a buyer I don't mind auction house LOAs.
I got burned on an auction house LOA many years after the auction. Bought a lot with an auction house LOA from PSA/DNA from Hunt that was several years old. I brought it to JSA, since James Spence had "signed" the LOA, and he said not authentic. So I complained to Hunt, they said bring it to PSA, which I did, and then PSA did give me vouchers in the amount of my loss in the purchase of the item. Still just would have rather had the real deal.
Oh well

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

When you consign something 'raw' to an AH, my thinking is that if they think slabbing or getting an LOA will increase the return, then they should eat that cost.

In any case, it's only ethical for them to let the consignor know in advance what they plan to do, and whether or not there will be an extra cost for the consignor. Slabbing (or incurring a TPA cost) should never have 'surprise' fees for the consignor.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I got burned on an auction house LOA many years after the auction. Bought a lot with an auction house LOA from PSA/DNA from Hunt that was several years old. I brought it to JSA, since James Spence had "signed" the LOA, and he said not authentic. So I complained to Hunt, they said bring it to PSA, which I did, and then PSA did give me vouchers in the amount of my loss in the purchase of the item. Still just would have rather had the real deal.
Oh well
PSA Vouchers? We don't need no stinking vouchers.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-30-2015 at 03:26 PM.