NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2009, 12:48 PM
John Cook

Default Question about auctions

I am getting back into collecting seriously after a 25 year hiatus. I've been buying on eBay for the past several months and wanted to participate in some of the auctions on the calendar.

When registering, I am often asked for references. This is not a problem, but since I've done my bidding online I haven't interacted much with the sellers and I haven't been to live auctions to meet anyone. I also don't buy in stores much because they focus more on new product.

My question is, how should I pursue answering the questions about references. My options seem to be:

1. Contact a few sellers I've done business with on eBay and ask if they would have a problem with me listed them as a reference.

2. Put eBay as one of my references, with my rating, but I wouldn't be able to put an actual contact name and would still need another reference.

3. Put the names of other auction houses I have used, though not for card purchases (I have participated in estate auctions in the past). This is what I did for the Goodwin auction.

If there's another approach, I haven't thought of it. I'd appreciate any input, particularly on #1 and if that's something others do.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 PM
D.B. Cooper

I started collecting again a couple years ago after a long hiatus and found registering with auction houses to be little more than a formality. Use Ebay as one of the references, and if you've purchased from or sold cards to any members of this board, just ask them if they would mind be listed as a reference. The first auction house I registered with, REA, was the only auction house that actually called me on the phone to ask for a reference (I'd just started collecting again and literally had none). I mentioned a member of this board whom I'd recently traded cards with, and they said "Oh, I know him" and that was the end of it, I was registered.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 07-17-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: rewordification
Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 PM
John Cook

Thanks. Goodwin was relatively easy, but SCP was looking for contact names and phone numbers, so I wasn't sure.

Much appreciated.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:09 PM
D.B. Cooper

I've registered with REA, Goodwin, Huggins & Scott, Hunt, Brooklyn Barry Sloate (hmm, I like the ring of that), Brockelman-Luckey, and 19th Century. Haven't registered with SCP (no particular reason, just haven't as of yet), so I'm not familiar with their registration process.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:51 PM

Default References

I haven't had any problem registering using 1) my eBay feedback primarily and 2) 1 or 2 people I've purchased from. I don't think the 3 auctions houses I registered with even called my references; they just reviewed my feedback.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Barry Sloate

You can always connect me to my Brooklyn roots.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:18 PM

Check the list of people you've bought from on eBay. I wouldn't be surprised if it includes a couple of well known dealers who would be acceptable. I once used for auction house reference a well known eBay seller. If the referenced seller is reputable, well known within the hobby and would vouch that you paid for your winnings, that's pretty much what the auction houses are looking for.

Last edited by drc; 07-17-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:41 AM

I responded to Mastro's Net 54 thread a few years ago that offered free registration to members and was allowed to use my ebay accounts. For the next auction registration I used Mastro and one ebay account. It was easy after that, I could use the last two auctions I bid in.