NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-04-2015, 07:51 PM
pete ullman

Default Worst pain of your life...uncensored.

So getting old(er) is for the birds...but it's beats the alternative...my grandma used to say.

I've heard plenty of stories about how painful kidney stones can be...toothaches seem to be a bitch...but I've never had one. What's the worst pain you've ever felt?

For me...last year I started noticing blood in my urine...I blew it off for 4-5 days until I decided to go to urgent care. They sent me to a urologist who took urine sample and suggested sticking a scope up my penis to make sure nothing related to urethra.

Great!

"No...we don't use any anesthetic, studies have shown petroleum is as effective," the doc says.

This was the worst pain of my life!

They found nothing...suggested a possible prostatitis...the bleeding never returned after that test.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Archive

Holy Matrimony
Old 02-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Ouch

Gout

I loved the answer from Jantz, but just in case my wife stumbles across this message while searching for the t208 Eddie Plank she wants to surprise me with, I'm going with my original answer.

Gout is one insidious creature. I wouldn't even wish it on a Braves or Mets fan in the rare event they were in a pennant race with the Phillies.

Don't get gout. Just don't...trust me!!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My lack of pain story is I ruptured my achilles tendon playing basketball when I was 26. I had always heard that rupturing the tendon was very painful and it didn't hurt that bad, so I thought I had twisted my ankle or something. After over a week when it was still swollen I went to the doctor who sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. When the surgon learned how long I took before going to the doctor, and that I had been walking on it, he called me stupid.

On a side note, I later learned the surgeon had to retire from medicine because he became allergic to latex gloves.

Last edited by drcy; 02-05-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Barry Sloate

You'll appreciate this one Pete. I once had a wisdom tooth pulled, which was no big deal. But a couple of weeks later a bone started to push up through the gums and into the space created by the extracted tooth. That pain was dreadful. But it went away on its own. I had one miserable week.

And you know that test the urologist had you do? I've had it too, and it isn't fun. They slide a tube through the penis to take pictures of your prostate. And I was awake for the whole thing, because they need you to perform a few functions. Bottom line is the pain is bearable but it is really uncomfortable and really kind of scary. I've also had numerous catheters put in and they are not fun either, although they are not as painful as you might think. I've been healthy for the last couple of years but take quite a bit of medication. Prostate issues are not fun.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-05-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 AM
pete ullman

Thanks for sharing guys...my assistant and I have been talking about achilles issues lately...seems like it'd be incredibly painful to me! Remember the scene in Pet Sematary when the clown slices the guys achilles tendon? Yowza!!!!!!

Nice Jantz...I've avoided that one so far. Barry...I cursed up a melange of F bombs when they were probing my penis...dreadfully awful it was....never want to go through that again!

I'll pass on the gout too!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

Nothing like those, but a couple times that were brief but difficult.

Dentist assistant putting the spike/scraper/ whatever you call it right into the big cavity I'd just said to not put the spike in. Bent the tool, and took it out myself. She's lucky she has quick hands. And by the way pain shouldn't come with smells and colors, but apparently it can.

Getting hit directly in the ear canal with a paintball. Big surprise, as I thought I was out of range. The paintballs were coming in slow and basically rolling at my feet. I turned to say something to the guy who ran the field and wham! The person who hit me said she'd been holding the co2 cartridge in her underarm and that was the first shot with the warmed gas. Hard to recall how much it hurt, but I do recall instant pain and then being on my knees having been standing.
The guy who ran the field was ex special forces and was really good. Grabbed my head and turned it to my good ear and said "Hurts like hell doesn't it? Go see my wife at the tent and she'll get that all cleared out. Do you need help walking? " A good cleaning and water to flush the paint out plus a free beer and I was fine. A bit muddled on the right for a couple days about as much as after a Metallica show. Maybe a bit of loss on that side, but not much.

Steve B
Old 02-05-2015, 08:39 AM

When I was 15 I loved skateboarding. One day I was working on some tricks on my flat rail. I slid out on a grind and when I fell, I tried to put my left arm down to break my fall. All my weight went onto my arm and my elbow ended up bending back the wrong way. I broke every bone in my elbow and it killed. Luckily through some kind of magic the bone set itself after it broke and all they had to do was put a cast on. Doctor said that was probably the only time something like that would ever happen and usually I'd need surgery.

Other worst pain was when I was about 12 and playing manhunt. I was running on some wet grass and slipped trying to jump over a guard rail. My knee went right into the rail and I split it open. Had to get 13 stitches in 3 different layers and ripped the tendon.

I've had stitches and broken bones. I have to say stitches was 10 times worse.

Last edited by packs; 02-05-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Jason Albregts

Appendicitis. I still have flashbacks.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

This is a no-brainer: gum surgery. The topical sedative wore out about 2/3 of the way through the surgery.

A far distant second is fallout of of the top bunk of a bunk-bed and landing with my leg behind my back - direct kneecap shot.

Wow - what an uplifting thread!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:49 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Gout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
Appendicitis.
I've had both. For me, gout was the worst, although appendicits is pretty bad too.

I had 4 appendicitis attacks within about a 1 year time frame. After the 4th one, I figured it was time to come out. The doctor tried to remove it with three small incisions, but it was too inflamed and had too much scar tissue around it (from the previous 3 attacks), so they had to make a huge 6” incision to pull it out.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I figured it was time to come out. The doctor tried to remove it with three small incisions, but it was too inflamed and had too much scar tissue around it (from the previous 3 attacks), so they had to make a huge 6” incision to pull it out.
I vote this as the best story of the thread. I won't try to one-up you with gum surgery details.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I've had both. For me, gout was the worst, although appendicits is pretty bad too.

I had 4 appendicitis attacks within about a 1 year time frame. After the 4th one, I figured it was time to come out. The doctor tried to remove it with three small incisions, but it was too inflamed and had too much scar tissue around it (from the previous 3 attacks), so they had to make a huge 6” incision to pull it out.
My incision is about 3 inches, and I thought that was bad I remember that I ate a ton of funnel cake at a carnival earlier in the day before my attack. That was the first thing to come up when I started getting sick. No more funnel cake since
Old 02-05-2015, 01:57 PM
pariah1107

I had a lot of jobs in Alaska, I started out as a cannery worker on the "slime line" (don't ask), then went to bait sales/longshoreman, was a deckhand on a few boats, and finally as a diver for shipyards and pier construction companies. The worst pain of my life was without question, January 2003.

I was working on a crab boat during Opilio season. This was one of the last seasons of the Alaska crab "derby" fishery, which were only days, at most two weeks windows to catch what you can. Now, as shown on Deadliest Catch the boats have IFQ's, and months to drop pots in the water. It's much safer.

On the second day of Opi season I was hit by a swinging crab pot, imagine a Volkswagen being thrown at your chest. I later found out I had broken my collarbone, cracked a rib, but the worst and most obvious pain was a bruised coccyx when I was knocked on my a$$ to the deck.

We're on Bristol Bay, Alaska, at best, two days back to port or even a few lost hours to medevac me during the derby cost everyone money. Tough it out. In a calm January on the Bay waves average 8-12 feet. Ever ride a horse with a bruised tailbone for 24 hours let alone 10-14 days? Standing was uncomfortable, sitting was not an option, and laying down hurt everywhere.

It was the longest two weeks of my life, but we killed that season. The owner gave me a double share, and wrote a glowing letter of recommendation that got me into diving school. Not likely to ever forget that.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
I had a lot of jobs in Alaska, I started out as a cannery worker on the "slime line" (don't ask), then went to bait sales/longshoreman, was a deckhand on a few boats, and finally as a diver for shipyards and pier construction companies. The worst pain of my life was without question, January 2003.

I was working on a crab boat during Opilio season. This was one of the last seasons of the Alaska crab "derby" fishery, which were only days, at most two weeks windows to catch what you can. Now, as shown on Deadliest Catch the boats have IFQ's, and months to drop pots in the water. It's much safer.

On the second day of Opi season I was hit by a swinging crab pot, imagine a Volkswagen being thrown at your chest. I later found out I had broken my collarbone, cracked a rib, but the worst and most obvious pain was a bruised coccyx when I was knocked on my a$$ to the deck.

We're on Bristol Bay, Alaska, at best, two days back to port or even a few lost hours to medevac me during the derby cost everyone money. Tough it out. In a calm January on the Bay waves average 8-12 feet. Ever ride a horse with a bruised tailbone for 24 hours let alone 10-14 days? Standing was uncomfortable, sitting was not an option, and laying down hurt everywhere.

It was the longest two weeks of my life, but we killed that season. The owner gave me a double share, and wrote a glowing letter of recommendation that got me into diving school. Not likely to ever forget that.

Nice story. "Deadliest Catch" is one of my favorite shows ever. I always missed that first seasons drama, when quotas weren't much of an issue and they would just pile up the crab on the deck if they couldn't fit it in the tanks anymore.

Wondered why they never did that again, and you kind of cleared it up for me.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Dave

Worst pain for me was probably a burn. Went to jump start one of our cars with cheap jumper cables and the process melted the rubber sheath right off the handles. I didn't notice and when I went to grab the handles to remove them I instantly seared my fingertips. It happened so fast I thought I got electrocuted at first.

I didn't even feel it at first, but when the feeling started coming back it was so intense it made me want to vomit. I was told by the paramedics that was actually a good sign I was getting pain.......meant I didn't kill the nerves off and it would most likely heal, which it did.

I've had worse injuries, but that was the worst pain.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Ben North

I done boxing, karate, and mma for 15 years so I have had my share of broken hands, feet, and ribs(they suck). I hate needles so the only cavity I have had I had filled with no pain medication and when the drill goes into the nerve it will light you up with pain for a few seconds. But by far the worst pain I have ever had was from a few bouts with kidney stones. Those babies have had me curled up on the floor crying like a baby and throwing up from the immense pain.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:15 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post

Agreed...good story...you are a gamer...I can only imagine how that'd been?
Old 02-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Rectal surgery. Three days out, taking the maximum dose of vikes, I couldn't sit up for more than a few minutes. And using the toilet...looked like when Captain Kirk gets hit with the brain ray on Star Trek.

Honorable Mention: when the novocaine wore off during a vasectomy.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Don't tell me that, I'm due for that surgery this year.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:22 PM
pariah1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Nice story. "Deadliest Catch" is one of my favorite shows ever. I always missed that first seasons drama, when quotas weren't much of an issue and they would just pile up the crab on the deck if they couldn't fit it in the tanks anymore.

Ugh, tough to say this but the crab that was piled on boat decks was what fishermen call "dead loss". Crab cannot live without circulated seawater tanks, and must be delivered live to the processing facility. Dead loss is piled on boat decks during off-loading by the beach gang. This happens frequently, but has probably been censored by producers of the show

To avoid controversy: Since the IFQ system has been implemented fishermen lives have been saved or at less risk, and the amount of "wasted fishery" has diminished. There is always room for improvement.

Very sorry Pete, don't mean to derail the thread.

Last edited by pariah1107; 02-05-2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: disclaimer
Old 02-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Dave

I have a bad history of small bowel obstructions. Ten times in the past 7 years. Three surgeries. Grown men do cry. The last time I spent 6 weeks after the surgery waiting and hoping my bowels would start working. Pain meds were good !
Old 02-05-2015, 05:49 PM
De@n Fl!ck

This thread is like an auto accident. I could not help but slow down and look.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:51 PM
John Hanssen

Last year I was told I have 5 kidney stones, I've only have 4 more to go now. YA for me something to look forward to.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM

When the Seahawks screwed up at the one yard line because I would have won the Net54 Playoff Pool if they had scored. Seriously, I would have to go with the day before I had my appendix removed.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

No PAIN
No GAIN
(for me)

I feel like I'm eavesdropping on my patients reading this thread.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Jay Shelton

March 23, 1999:

Playing tennis with a friend. Started my forehand swing at the baseline and it felt like someone was standing right behind me and hit the back of my lower right leg as hard as they could with a baseball bat. I heard an audible "POP."

Fell to the ground, took a look, and back of my leg from the ankle up was turning purple. Non-contact achilles tendon rupture injury. The worst part was walking on it to make it back to the car. Was "okay" until I tried to bend the foot inward in the regular "heel-toe" motion instead of walking stiff like Frankenstein's monster.

Surgery on March 25, the second worst pain was when all the meds wore off after my epidural. Yep, they did that for me and I was virtually dead from the waist down.

Vicodin would not even touch it. Had to take something called Talwin (sp?) that I was later told was an older medication (small pill). It was great, and made me not care for a while.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:29 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Not a pain story, but, as some know, I was in intensive care for 9 days last year. Before I was taken to the emergency room, I was so sick that I was projectile vomiting perhaps 15 times a day and literally couldn't read the text on a computer screen or in a magazine or the time on a clock.

Last edited by drcy; 02-07-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:53 AM

Not sure why, but I am enjoying this thread. Old guys and their aches and pains.

Last year I was out on my bicycle and I got to the top of a hill. Took a bit of a breather and pulled out my water bottle for a couple of sips. Foolishly started down the hill with water bottle still in hand. After I picked up some speed I took both hands off bike and took another sip of water. Went into a "speed wobble" and could not regain control. Flying down hill by this point and inevitably lost total control and crashed. Thankfully a passerby stopped to help me and called an ambulance. No breaks, but raw skin everywhere and ended up on IV for ten days due to infection. Body still shows multiple signs of trauma. Painful.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:30 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Gout hands down. I know women who have it who told me it was worse than child birth, and i replied, yes i know.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:42 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

In November 2011, I tore the ACL and MCL in my left knee after slipping on my icy porch. I instantly feared that I tore my ACL because I felt a huge pop and knew something was really wrong when I tried to get up. The pain was terrible immiediately. But after 15-20 minutes, I could not even twist or turn my leg even an inch without unbearable pain.

I had an ACL reconstruction with a cadaver ligament the week before Christmas 2011. Rehab was terrible, but I knew the only way to get back to having a normal life was by not cutting corners on the therapy. I walked like a peg-legged pirate for about three months; it took me nearly that long until I could even bend my leg enough to drive a car or sit in a bathtub.

It took about 18 months before my knee really started to feel good. Having gone through an ACL reconstruction, I am amazed that it is now almost standard for guys to come back to the NFL or NBA 9-10 months after an ACL reconstruction.

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-08-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:55 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

I am also a "Deadliest Catch" fan. Over Christmas and New Year's, I read Scott Campbell Jr.'s book "Giving the Finger: Risking it All to Fish the World's Deadliest Sea." The book is a quick read at around 250 pages, but he really gets into what it is like to work on a crab boat as a greenhorn or a full-share deckhand.

Campbell also talks about the "Derby" style fishing of the old days and how dangerous it made the fishing because captains never wanted their crew to sleep because any time spent sleeping was time that other boats were catching crab. Now that each boat has a fixed quota of how much crab they can catch, captains are more willing to allow the crew to get at least some sleep.

Campbell talked hauling/setting gear for 36 hours straight, sleeping four hours, then hauling/setting gear for another 36 hours straight in the days of "Derby" fishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Giving-Finger-...tt+campbell+jr

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-08-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:26 AM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
So getting old(er) is for the birds...but it's beats the alternative...my grandma used to say.

I've heard plenty of stories about how painful kidney stones can be...toothaches seem to be a bitch...but I've never had one. What's the worst pain you've ever felt?

For me...last year I started noticing blood in my urine...I blew it off for 4-5 days until I decided to go to urgent care. They sent me to a urologist who took urine sample and suggested sticking a scope up my penis
I quit reading right there.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:14 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Of side note: I haven't watched the show but the Deadliest Catch boat is often moored right next to an on-the-docks Seattle fish restaurant I frequent. After fish and chips, we usually mill around the docks looking at the fishing boats and yachts and I've walked by the Deadliest Catch boat numerous times. And, if you want, you can buy fish directly from fishing boats there.

A picture from Fisherman's Terminal:

Last edited by drcy; 02-08-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:35 AM
Roy W.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Rectal surgery. Three days out, taking the maximum dose of vikes, I couldn't sit up for more than a few minutes. And using the toilet...looked like when Captain Kirk gets hit with the brain ray on Star Trek.

Jesus Christ, you've been violated in both front and rear

And I thought having my shoulder pop out and reset multiple times was bad...
Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)
Default Worst pain of your life...uncensored.

Three thing come to mind. None serious, but painful nonetheless...

1) Exposed nerve after getting wisdom teeth pulled.

2) Outer ear infection that I stupidly let get so bad it festered.

last, but not least

3) Horrible gas pains!!! (Never have exactly figured out why, but had 2 separate really bad evenings in my 20s! Farting never felt so good as getting through those!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 02-10-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Bob McLean

Some of these ailments are a trip down a memory lane I would like to forget. Having double knee replacement topped all for me, but was something that eventually stopped hurting.

The guy with the bone coming out of his hole where they pulled his wisdom tooth. I got that covered. I think the Navy dentist who broke my wisdom teeth into four pieces with a chisel before pulling broke my jaw. Swelled up and stayed that way for two weeks. No relief for the pain with meds they gave me, but about 9 shots of whiskey in the evening allowed me to sleep.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Barry Sloate

That was me, and yes, yours sounds worse. All pain is bad.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Jeff C.

Gout. Check.
Family jewel infected and swollen after vasectomy. Check.
Sprained ankles. Check.
Pulled hamstrings. Check.
Back out. Check.
Multiple concussions. Check.
Pain meds wearing off while having an ingrown toenail removed. Check.
Broken bones in hand (football). Check.

The most painful...Listening to Roseanne Barr or Carl Lewis sing the National Anthem.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Not to get into all the medical details but when I was 15 I got very sick with a few ailments all at the same time causing all of glands in my throat to swell up. Think of a bad sore throat on steroids. This wasn't the pain though. The actual pain came from when it swelled up so much my windpipe virtually closed up. I had about a pin hole of space air could get into. Breathing was so hard to do so my chest muscles cramped up with the labored breathing. My neck actually swelled out so it was even with my ears. My tongue also swelled up so I couldn't fit it in my mouth so it dried up like piece of beef jerky. (Man I wish I had a picture to show my kids). The doctors ended up doing an emergency tracheotomy so I could breath.
Now almost 30 years later people ask about the scar on my neck. I tell them when I wad a teenager masked men stripped me naked, drugged me, tied me to a metal table and cut me open. It's usually a better reaction than "it started with a sore throat"
Drew
Old 02-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Roy W.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Not to get into all the medical details but when I was 15 I got very sick with a few ailments all at the same time causing all of glands in my throat to swell up. Think of a bad sore throat on steroids. This wasn't the pain though. The actual pain came from when it swelled up so much my windpipe virtually closed up. I had about a pin hole of space air could get into. Breathing was so hard to do so my chest muscles cramped up with the labored breathing. My neck actually swelled out so it was even with my ears. My tongue also swelled up so I couldn't fit it in my mouth so it dried up like piece of beef jerky. (Man I wish I had a picture to show my kids). The doctors ended up doing an emergency tracheotomy so I could breath.
Now almost 30 years later people ask about the scar on my neck. I tell them when I wad a teenager masked men stripped me naked, drugged me, tied me to a metal table and cut me open. It's usually a better reaction than "it started with a sore throat"
Drew
Damn Drew, you went through hell for that sore throat! Lol
Old 02-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Jim H

1. Ran a marathon in Iraq. The next day my toe nail was black. I went to the doctor and he pulled it out without a shot or pain killers.
2. Convoy in Iraq; hit my knee in the back of a MRAP. I waited until the tour was over before surgery (three months of limbing)
3. This past weekend; three dogs attacked me an bit me 26 times (see off topic thread)
4. Jaw broken; had to re-aline it. I drink shakes for two months.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:06 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Pete- You know you're old when you 1.) start a thread like this and / or 2.) participate in one.

I've had a ruptured disc, a torn rotator-cuff, and kidney stones (they had to surgically implant a stint between my kidney and my bladder ( they took it out (YANKED it actually) without putting me to sleep!!)....but arthritis in my hip is the worst...so far, BY FAR - and all of this was SINCE I turned 40!

Other than that, things are just peachy!

What I have not endured yet is a migraine headache ; a ruptured Achilles ; a fractured femur.... I guess those would be pretty bad too.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-16-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:19 PM

Talking I'll See you and raise a Dozen Injury's

Afternoon,

Back to work this week after Knee replacement surgery 2 months ago, one of the worst two months I've been through...and still suffering through PT three times a week. Reflecting on some of my past calamaties and afflictions........

Gout, aw the good ol' Gout, diagnosed at 28, rough for the first 5-10 years, 2-4 attacks per year, then a lull in my 30's-40's, resurgence really bad in my early 50's, since discovering Allipuronol at 52 last 6 years maybe 1-2 attacks. So no complaints but nothing quite is like the pain of Gout.

Pulled a Steel metal sidewalk double door on my head when I was in my 20's, 80 stiches later, that one hurt!

Wrecked a Motorcycle when I was 30 or so, broke wrist, bruised ribs, broke finger, went home, to work week later something burst at work, rushed to emergency room, said I was having muscle spasms, sent me home with Valium, slept for 2 hours woke up with my Stomach like a beach ball, rushed back to hospital, burst Spleen, Catheter within 5 minutes, you could hear me scream throughout entire Emergency room. Was clinically dead (Bled Out twice) they had to remove all my organs to the side to vacuum me out, then 24 staples, re-surgery a year later to mitigate the scarring, 9 days in ICU, 3 weeks in Hospitol, 3 months out of work. Yeah that was a little painful.

60 Hour SnowStorm in Denver I'm driving on I-70 with my Seatbelt on, roads are shit, Lady slides across 4 lanes at a 90 degree angle, I T-bone her and the Seat Belt in my AMC Eagle SX4 breaks I go through windshield Face first (Actually Chin), 68 Micro stiches in chin on the inside, 28 on the outside. Left with a nice 2 inch scar but at least with Beard its unnoticeable. Lawyer said if I was Female worth 300K, got a measly 30K cause I don't have Breasts! Now that was pain!!!!

ATV'ing in Steamboat doing jumps about 8-10 ft high, made it 6 times, 7th time machine went one way, I went other, Beers were involved! Went to emergency room Doc took X-Ray comes in laughing, OK I can see 7 broken ribs but if I take a little higher X-Ray I may be able to find you a couple more, but wha'ts the point!! By far the worst pain of my Life, had to drive 75 miles home with No Pain reliefe, couldn't breath for 2 months, out of work 3 months.

Boy I sure go to extremes to get out of work!!!!!!!

Neil
Old 02-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedutymon View Post
Wrecked a Motorcycle when I was 30 or so, broke wrist, bruised ribs, broke finger, went home, to work week later something burst at work, rushed to emergency room, said I was having muscle spasms, sent me home with Valium, slept for 2 hours woke up with my Stomach like a beach ball, rushed back to hospital, burst Spleen, Catheter within 5 minutes, you could hear me scream throughout entire Emergency room. Was clinically dead (Bled Out twice) they had to remove all my organs to the side to vacuum me out, then 24 staples, re-surgery a year later to mitigate the scarring, 9 days in ICU, 3 weeks in Hospitol, 3 months out of work. Yeah that was a little painful.
We have a winner
Old 02-21-2015, 04:23 AM
Eric Perry

I stubbed my toe once. The agony was nearly unbearable. Somehow, I managed to fight through the pain.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:32 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I stubbed my toe once. The agony was nearly unbearable. Somehow, I managed to fight through the pain.
i think we all have stubbed out toes...and it can be quite painful!

My most severe childhood pain occurred while playing street hockey with friends.

Hockey wasn't very "hot" in northern new jersey...and we were playing and I was chasing the ball, stick outstretched, which was hugging the curb.

As I neared the ball...my stick hit the curb...with the but end of my stick jamming right into my "nuts." i was in so much pain...yet was also laughing so hard...it was kinda funny!

Worst "nut" injury of my life!!!
Old 02-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i think we all have stubbed out toes...and it can be quite painful!
Pete,

You do know I was being a smart-@$$ with my post, right?

In actuality, the worst pain I ever felt was having bone marrow drawn. They went directly into my hip bone with some sort of surgical device.

This was back in the 1980's. I hope they have a gentler way to extract marrow these days.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 02-21-2015, 09:13 AM
pete ullman

i knew you were joking, Eric...but the stubbing of the toe is pretty acutely painful when it happens!!!
Old 02-22-2015, 12:26 AM
J Ryan
Banned

last year I had 2 Severe inner ear infections....before those i never had problems with my ears.
not really pain but the sense of it made me feel like I was dying. constant virtigo, black out spells, anxiety etc.

ever since then the hearing in my right ear hasnt been the same, almost slightly muffled.

when i was in 7th grade we were cleaning off the church my dad pastored. we were using a powerwasher (dirtroad.dust.dirt grime..etc) It was very hot, so stupid me willingly told one of the other kids to spray my hair (was kinda long) That sucker sprayed me almost point blank in the side of the head. this 2600 psi washer split my skin in a horseshoe shape around my left ear, blood was running down the back of my head, the church leaders freaked lol.

in 10th grade me and my brother were seeing who could jump the farthest off of our trampoline. we were marking our distance with a plastic trash can, well it was my turn and i landed on it. broke my ankle

.... 2 years later Christmas eve, it was raining...me and my brother went to Walmart to get last min gifts, after shopping we were running back to the car and I rolled my ankle and broke it again. Here I am limping across the parking lot, my brother yelling " stop faking and run". go to the docs and yep, it was broken again.