NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Default Is it me?

Posted By: Anson

I know Kit has been around a long time and has dealt in a lot of raw stuff. But, I can't believe that this card isn't trimmed. The sides and corners look scissor cut.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-PHILADELPHIA-CARAMEL-E95-HONUS-WAGNER-GD-VG-VG_W0QQitemZ5243504175QQcategoryZ86840QQssPageName ZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Old 09-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Default Is it me?

Posted By: Julie Vognar

from the top of his head to the top of the card, breaking the surface in one spot, about the size of a grain of salt. This was pointed out to me. About 6 months later, I noticed it was trimmed on all four sides...

You can't really tell from the scan, and I haven't a larger one. Traded it to Ben, from whom it was stolen.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Default Is it me?

Posted By: Sean Coe

Corners have been clipped without a doubt.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Default Is it me?

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

W600 on there FOREVER that had 1/2 inch cut all down the left side. Not even straight.....it was really wavy. In the text of the description, they said 'measures correctly'. I sent them an email and they reiterated 'measures correctly'. Lost all respect for them at that point. Haven't bought any of their G/VG cards since........

Old 09-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Default Is it me?

Posted By: Jim

I think the most telling sign of that clipjob is the fact that the card is not slabbed.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Default Is it me?

Posted By: John

GD-VG seems to be KY's catch-all for damaged and altered cards. I have been looking for a Wambsganss E220 for a while and called on the one that he has listed. I was thinking that a GD-VG might be a bit beat, but acceptable for my collection. The card was described to me as having a small spot of tape residue, that was the reason for the downgrade. I requested a scan, which was sent almost immediately. The small tape residue happened to be covering Bill's head which in my mind effectively and technically dropped the grade to poor. Glad I didn't jump on the BIN for the Washington Irving Wambsganss.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Default Is it me?

Posted By: Scott Forrest

KitYoung is not a card investor - they are trying to turn over cards and make money. They sell lots of un-slabbed cards - I know because I've bought plenty from them and they were all fine. But I hate to think (know, actually) that so many collectors on this board think that if a card isn't slabbed that it can't be trusted. In this case the Wagner is obviously trimmed.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Default Is it me?

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Kit Young is a figurehead. It's his company but I'm pretty sure that he isn't the one that sorts through the cards and creates the descriptions for the auctions. He has a staff of people that do that for him.

I suppose the argument could be made that he should probably take more of an interest in this because it is his name that is associated with the card sales/auctions.

There was a day when Kit was completely involved but that time has passed. The one thing I really liked about Kit's grading (way back when...) was that his highest grade seemed to be ExMt and in many cases the card you received was at least that.