NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2019, 01:35 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default TPG policy question on dinged corners

Does anyone know if PSA, SGC or BVG have particular policies on how they handle moderate to badly dinged corners before slabbing? I have a recent pickup that is lower graded, PSA 2.5 - where they just left a flipped up corner in it's original state and slabbed it that way when it likely could have been turned down / smoothed out. (Don't get started on the "conservation" tangent...not intending to go there at all...)

I'm not tremendously bothered by it either way because it's only a 2.5 - but was just curious if any of the TPG's have stated policies around this. Do they not touch the corners at all if it came out of the case it was sent to PSA in that way?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I know you're looking for specific policies, but I have to assume that the TPG's grade cards 'as is' in their sent-in state without doing anything at all to them, because it would then become the ole slippery slope argument. "Oh, this guy sent in a card with a folded over corner...let's just flip it back and make it right. Oh look, this card has some wax on it...somebody grab me some pantyhose so I can wipe it off"...and on and on it might go.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:57 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I know you're looking for specific policies, but I have to assume that the TPG's grade cards 'as is' in their sent-in state without doing anything at all to them, because it would then become the ole slippery slope argument. "Oh, this guy sent in a card with a folded over corner...let's just flip it back and make it right. Oh look, this card has some wax on it...somebody grab me some pantyhose so I can wipe it off"...and on and on it might go.
I am thinking you are correct. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm not sure how to find it on the postwar side, but there was a thread there a while back where PSA flattened down a flipped corner on a card graded 8 when it got sent back questioning the damage.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Agreed; that fold correction without downgrading the card and paying out on their Grade Guarantee was ridiculous at the time, and still is.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:53 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'm not sure how to find it on the postwar side, but there was a thread there a while back where PSA flattened down a flipped corner on a card graded 8 when it got sent back questioning the damage.
I know, on a Gretzky rookie, right? I remember that thread too and was looking for it yesterday but could not find it. That was on a much higher grade card than the particular one from my collection that I'm asking about - but was interesting just the same. If PSA made the judgment that you could "fix" an 8 corner, I'm sure they wouldn't be too concerned about a PSA 2.5.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Ben W.hitener

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Yep...my Hrabosky OPC.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=227030
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (68.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
Thanks Ben, no wonder I couldn't find it. Yours was the thread I was looking for, but for some reason I could have sworn it was a Wayne Gretzky card, and had that stuck in my head. It's funny the tricks memory can play on us sometimes.