NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2019, 02:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Default Recolored 1888 N162 Cap Anson from SGC 1.5 to PSA 4

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...&postcount=767

If you bought this PSA 4 recently from PWCC, you should probably return it.

Edit: not sure it was purchased/submitted by Gary Moser because it was bought via Heritage Auctions.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 05-12-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

There could have been a bunch of paper scrap stuck to the front of the card that soaked off like the paper scrap on the back did. It's not necessarily recolored. Just fyi...
Old 05-12-2019, 04:37 PM
je.sse @rnot

I don't think people should be stating things like this card is recolored without proof. This card might be recolored. It's also possible that the before and after shots aren't even be the same card.

With everything negative I've seen and read about from PSA and SGC I still have a hard time believing they would miss two separate spots on the same card that were colored in.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Then I'd love for the current owner to chime in with the card condition in hand.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Jeff Willi@ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Then I'd love for the current owner to chime in with the card condition in hand.
I bought this Anson in the latest PWCC auction. Really appreciate everyone bringing the changes to my attention.

Having the card in hand, I believe like a poster above said that there was residue and paper scrap on the card, and those have been removed. I can't see any evidence of recoloring or filling, and the black dots on the top left are on the case & not the card.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:07 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

You might want to take another look at your card. I don't have the advantage of having the card in hand but, to me, that sure looks like paper loss on the front that was filled in with color. Heck, the color doesn't even match and you can still see what appears to be paper loss that wasn't filled in all the way.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:25 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206fanatic View Post
I bought this Anson in the latest PWCC auction. Really appreciate everyone bringing the changes to my attention.

Having the card in hand, I believe like a poster above said that there was residue and paper scrap on the card, and those have been removed. I can't see any evidence of recoloring or filling, and the black dots on the top left are on the case & not the card.
Thanks for the update. It seems odd that there would be paper affixed to the front of the card and that it was originally submitted that way to SGC last year. I would still recommend sending it to PSA for a review. If you like the card, and they agree it is overgraded, you will get the card back in a lower numbered slab and a check for the difference between what you paid and the value of the new grade.
Are the remaining white spots on the front paper loss as well or still additional paper adhered?
Old 05-12-2019, 05:28 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
It's also possible that the before and after shots aren't even be the same card.

If you look at the back of the card, you can see the remnants of the stain on the PSA 4. It matches the stain on the SGC 1.5, meaning it is the same card.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 05-12-2019, 05:57 PM

Very depressing. TPGs need to step up their game on expensive cards. As a collector I know I have put too much faith in these companies based on what has been revealed over the last several months in particular.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:09 PM
Dave

Even if it's not the same card and not re-colored that seems like a real sketchy 4.

Did it also get a PWCC sticker for exceptional eye appeal?

Even on the doctored card there's still obvious staining on the back, and paper loss as evidenced by a bunch of type being almost unreadable.

If that were, say a 1957 Topps card with those issues, would it have gotten any better then a "2"?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
If you look at the back of the card, you can see the remnants of the stain on the PSA 4. It matches the stain on the SGC 1.5, meaning it is the same card.

Steve
How did the words Anson and Brouthers reappear on the back where there seems to be paper loss on the 1.5? Or is that extra material that was stuck maybe?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-12-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
How did the words Anson and Brouthers reappear on the back where there seems to be paper loss on the 1.5? Or is that extra material that was stuck maybe?
Not paper loss. It's scrapbook remnants (or whatever it was glued to).
Old 05-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post

Steve
yeah but the ignorant blind poker player only sees what he wants, not the facts
Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
yeah but the ignorant blind poker player only sees what he wants, not the facts
It's probably the same card, but it is possible two cards had similar stains. Just like it's possible the card was recolored, and it's possible it wasn't. Are you really too stupid to understand that?