NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Default T205-SGC Says Altered, Seller Says It's Not

What do you guys think about this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T205-Gold-B...UAAOSwdutZhJwk
Old 12-09-2017, 11:23 AM

The bottom corners certainly seem to dip downward. It just doesn't look quite right to me.

Brian
Old 12-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Sean Costello

I like how he says "no return on professionally graded items." So at the same time he is disputing SGC's opinion, while refusing to refund based on the fact that SGC has opined.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:47 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

He's upfront about the situation and is offering a card in an AUTH holder (we've discussed the AUTH grade here many times), so I don't think there's much of an issue with the sale.

Last edited by drcy; 12-09-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I like how he says "no return on professionally graded items." So at the same time he is disputing SGC's opinion, while refusing to refund based on the fact that SGC has opined.
I know Pete (the seller) fairly well. He is a member here. I can't blame him for saying either thing. That was probably from a very original find. I am *not saying it can't still be trimmed but less likely, given the other cards found...LL

I should add that SGC and the seller know T205s better than I do....

Last edited by Leon; 12-09-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Yeah I should have clarified that I've bought from Pete in the past and he's great to deal with! It's more a question of whether or not SGC has issues when it comes to grading T205's. I'm planning on submitting a bunch of T205's to them but wanna make sure the grades aren't going to be all over the place. Love SGC but I kind of agree with Pete on this one. Just wanted to see what other's thoughts are.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Ken McMillan

a does not mean altered, it means authentic. I have had some cards that were short cut from the factory that were graded this way and it is SGC’s way of copping out of giving a numerical graded if they are not 100% sure.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:01 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
Yeah I should have clarified that I've bought from Pete in the past and he's great to deal with! It's more a question of whether or not SGC has issues when it comes to grading T205's. I'm planning on submitting a bunch of T205's to them but wanna make sure the grades aren't going to be all over the place. Love SGC but I kind of agree with Pete on this one. Just wanted to see what other's thoughts are.
What type of set are you building? All graded? All raw? A mix? If not all graded, you could bust it out and forget it.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:21 PM
Luke Lyon

To me it feels like a little of both. Pete recently sold a huge group of Polar Bears and he knows with virtual certainty that this card is not altered. But, just looking at it, it looks trimmed along the bottom. It probably isn't but most people that see it are going to notice that weird bottom edge.

I have a few cards that are either in SGC A holders or I don't bother sending them in because I know they will get an "A" that I feel are not trimmed or altered.

It's a tough spot for the graders. This thread gets started because they went the safe route and called it trimmed or short. But if they had put that card in a "4" holder, someone might have started a thread questioning whether they gave a numeric grade to a trimmed card.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Jim B.

This is the nature of the beast with tobacco card submissions with SGC. I have submitted many T201s all from the original owner and some came back as 4s and others as AUTH due to size variances. Just live with it and buy the card, not the holder,or grade it has received.