NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default Why do people hide behind a screen name

Posted By: barrysloate

T206 Collector- and I know your real name but won't reveal it- I'm a loner too. I fully understand where you are coming from. I have a wife and plenty of friends but for whatever reason I am happiest when I am by myself. Go figure.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Erland Stevens

I think screen names are a non-issue. T206Collector is a regular poster on the board. Whether his legal first name is T206 or not is irrelevant. When I see one of his posts, I know exactly who he is - a collector of T206 cards who seems to follow the spirit of the board, knows his cards well, and has strong, reasoned opinions on grading. I know these things because he consistently reflects these ideas in his frequent posts. In fact, despite using a screen name, he's such a regular poster that many (most?) forum members know his name anyway. The odds that T206Collector will spout off on something and randomly tell the board where to go are very low. He obviously enjoys the board as a resource and probably won't want to jeopardize his ability to use it.

It's people like me (very infrequent poster) who are a potential problem. Eventhough I use my real name, the board knows far less about me than T206Collector. I'm such an unknown that (almost) nobody knows whether I'm even using my real name. If I decide to strongly disagree with someone on a subject, nobody knows how to take it or how to respond. Nobody knows whether or not I respect anyone here or will even bother to check the board for replies. Even if I made a discovery of sorts (Old Judges were also sold with patries), somebody is going to (rightly) say, "Who are you and how do you know that?" Ted Z., Leon, and Barry Sloate would probably not get the same response - more like, "Cool Leon!"

So, I think knowing a poster has more to do with reading a number of that person's posts instead of using his (or her!) real name.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

T206 - your last post exhibited a lot of class.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ralph

T206 Guy,
Hold the horse's
The more I read,the more I understand and see your point.
When you go to a card show...80% of the people there are sloppily dressed, overweight people, stained T-shirt wearing guys,slouched postures, stupid Yankee hats and shirts on unatractive people,cigarette smoking losers,bald fat guys and their
overweight wives in dirty flip flops and scragily hair,

When your browsing the tables, can you see yourself "breaking bread" with the dirt bag next to you ! NO
Or saying to the guy with a plastic Shop Rite bag in his hand,"I'd like to to come over and see my 51 Bowman set".
Id guess and say more then half of all baseball card collectors have at least 65% to 70% nerd in them !
To the non collector..what would you think when at a cards how you overhear some dufuss say " I need the 34G variation in which the players hair is a slight shade of green and violet" !!
Oh NO T206 Guy..you got it right on the money ! You got it cold dude !!stone cold !!

Old 08-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

T206 Collector -

Good response !!! I understand your position totally. No disrespect intended.
Best regards always.

Alan

Old 08-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The names are known for most people who post under a nicknames. I know who is Leon, PRO9, TBob, etc. At a party, you might introduce yourself as Dr. James E. Smith, call me Jim, then refer to yourself as Jim the rest of the evening. It would come across as strange if you referred to yourself as Dr. James E. Smith each time. Note that, when referring to yourself as Jim, people will have already learned your name.

If the post itself isn't a problem, using a nickname is acceptable. If the post accuses a board member of stealing or trimming, then a full name may be required.

Someone refusing to give his last name to Leon is pretty strange.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

t206,

I think an enjoyment of time spent alone is a thread that runs through all of us. After all, collecting is a mostly solitary pleasure. Count me also as a loner for the most part, who is highly selective in his associations. No judgements, just keep people at arms length for the most part. Yes, very classy response, t206.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Now that I've got me some valeebul baseball cards, I'm movin' up to the penthouse suite!

Jus funnin' wid ya T2

Old 08-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

somebody musta seen that global warming documentary

Old 08-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Stratton

It had never crossed my mind about hiding from your boss, coworkers, etc...but now that I think about it I probably would too if I worked for anyone but myself. I guess some people do find it strange people collect baseball cards as adults so it might change their perception of you at work.

As far as judging people by what they look or dress like I've found I've been wrong more times than not when I do this. Good looking guys in $3,000 suits can be just as ugly if you know what I mean.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

The Simpson comic guy stereotype is not a good one based on what I have seen. When I was in Chicago I only saw a couple of those guys, mostly I saw guys who were average weight, dressed fairly fashionably for the heat and convention grind, and were very un-nerdy. Maybe I was hanging out with an atypical group of guys but the guys I was with didn't fit that stereotype at all.
I also know where T206 is coming from and respect his request for privacy. While I am constantly interacting via email and posts on this board, I am not someone who interacts by phone regularly with other collectors and prefers a little bit of the hermit life style when it comes to collecting cards. Other than some chats with leon and Tim Newcomb, I rarely interact personally that way. I don't think T206 and I are alone in that respect, I have several collector friends who I have never met or only met one time who appear to desire the same anonymity in their personal lives when it comes to card collecting. That's not a snobbery thing, just a personal preference...

Old 08-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Everybody is different. The way people interact with other collectors is probably a reflection of their personalities in general.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

As a high-school teacher I really do not want my name available during web searches. It is amazing the information students will retrieve from the web. I have had students pull my teaching schedule from when I was teaching assistant in grad school, my wedding announcement, and other misc. harmless information. The fact is that many students are interested in the personal lives of their teachers and the web allows for relatively easy access. I am very "human" with my students but would rather keep my recreational pursuits private.

I believe that the rules established by the founders of this board are sufficient if a poster would rather protect their identity. I always provide my email address and have had no issue divulging my information to established board memebers that have contacted me in the past.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

The loner statement rings true for 1 more of us. As I get older I put myself in less and less public situations. I don't think it has anything to do with card collecting, just the personality we have or have become. Has nothing to with fear of public or my appearance, just would rather stay home and avoid the hassle. Have been on other forums, non collecting, that had get togethers, that I also didn't attend. It was a racing forum, went to the race and still didn't attend the get togethers. Not for fear of meeting people with similar interests, just ain't that group kinda guy anymore. Traveling with 25 guys for 14 years has that effect on you. And the travel has the effect of there's no place like home. JOe

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't seen one penny of that money.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

"upper middle class, middle aged, overweight, scruffy, unshowered, stained t-shirt, messy eating, foul-mouthed, smelly, white bread, men in the room"

My t-shirt was clean

Old 08-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

I just did a web search of myself and got this:

http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=276

"Yeah, dude, Bouldering is my life" ..............

I agree with both sides of this "discussion." If you want to stay unknown, that's fine. If you want to invite me to your birthday party, that's fine too.

Personally, I don't care. Hell, my city, county, state, and federal goverment has files on me (come to think about it, my neighborhood association probably has one too). My bank, mortgage company, investment firm, Roth IRA, company I work for, has files on me. Amazon, ebay, etoys, Target etc. all know what type of merchandise I like ..... etc., etc. Yes, Big Brother is watching; Geo. Orwell was only 20 years off with 1984. Who cares; if you want to follow down to the coffee shop, come on along (even they know not to ask me if I need room for cream).

Old 08-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

If you google my name, you get a singer-songwriter from Michigan whose song titles include "Sassafras," "Being this Being" and "Sinamaroo." Hint: I am not a singer-songwriter from Michigan.
But seriously, I view this as a branch of my life, a small one at that. And though I enjoy the cards I have, I do sympathize with T206's sentiments if not his phrasing perhaps.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I prefer being a misanthrope and scurrilous reprobate. It makes life a whole lot easier.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Anonymous Fred)

Jay,

I wasn't aware that WE (the board, et al) have allowed you to crawl out of your hole and post here.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I suppose all of the advocates of everyone "coming out," use their full names on their AOL/Yahoo accounts as well?

Old 08-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

T206, great response i can is some part understand where you are coming from. Lets do what we are here to do talk some good baseball cards.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Administrator

But if you only talk about good baseball cards, the PSA8 only crowd will feel alienated and left out.

Jay

Old 08-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

The PSA8 crowd seeks to be alienated from bottom feeders.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Anonymous Fred)

Anonymous Fred <-- Bottom Feeder

Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

jay that was funny . lol

Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Over time, perhaps in my case, paranoia and a lack of "getting out there" has turned me into who I am and I kind of enjoy my privacy as well, but I can tell you I'm far from J.D Salinger or Thomas Pynchon.

Plus a person's past experiences of being "de-flowered" of your identity and maybe a threat here or there kind of builds walls. Did I mention I pay for my cardboard by doing vigilante missions?

In this "net age" where a person is most often known through an ID, I'm willing to come out of my gopher hole and introduce myself to...say Leon and perhaps he will place an opinion in matching this electronic voice to the name. This goes for other folks as well. Well since my last cardboard purchase was months and months and months ago, I do not feel worthy to be on this site and kind of kidnap the experiences and education of the Board.

I find those threads where everyone shares photos of themselves (they are most often beside a vehicle of some sort) kind of neat as you often attempt to match whether that voice can come from that body. You also wonder how a "card geek" like that can get such a "hottie"...after all, he likes cardboard!

My ex-girlfriend was a true California beauty and one night, at a club (cutting a rug), a man three times her age started to spurt his best lines in her direction. When I walked over, he said "while I can show you my beach front house in Coronado, my private plane and an island that I'm partnered with, this guy will show you his baseball card collection!". WTF? The night before, she had chosen a favorite card of mine. I'll give you a hint...it's pre-1900 and a dog is involved in the photo.

My feeling on privacy is "too each his own", as long as you play fair and your threads aren't mean spirited or out there to dupe the collecting public. Some people like the spotlight...some don't.

DJ

Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I believe that it is the 50's collectors that have the
poop stained t- shirts, except for maybe LArry Fritsch
son. The collectors of our board ,which many have much-
much more money then I have, are very classy people AND
do show it. I have lots of commradarie and for it ,IAM
wealthy !!!

My T-shirts are all cK....CALVINS for those who dont know
(those 50's guys)...do have some CLAIBOrnes too !...my JEANS
however are NAUTICAS, they seem to fit the short and fat
guys who like Heinekens (real beer)....like me!

Thanks to all that share with me , their GEMS ,and their
time.There is a family ambience with some here, others have
the options to be alone. With the togetherness of this board
has gotten me some GREAT cards that I otherwise wouldnt have
the addiction continues. To each their own and whatever you
elect is fine.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

To quote Groucho Marx, "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 08-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Marriage is an institution...but who wants to live in an institution?

Can I buy back my introduction to you?

I've had a lovely evening...but this wasn't it.

Go, and darken my towels no more.

To our wives and grilfriends...may they never meet!

Edited to add: Yeah, I'm a fan. Hooray for Captain Spalding!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Free Fredonia!!!

Jay

Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Two responses to this thread:

1) I think it is very cool the way a few of you speak so highly (and so openly) of your wives. And no, I didn't take it as comparing trophies or whatever, but as expressions of genuine regard and appreciation for them.

2) "Scurrilous reprobate" is classic. lol. And no, I won't get into a Scrabble game with Jay.

J

Old 08-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

And Groucho's pick up line (for all the dirty t-shirts):

"Come, let us lodge with my fleas in the hills, um....., flee to my lodge in the hills!"