NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2002, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Posted By: Elliot

I've wrestled for some time now regarding the correct policy to have on buy/sell postings on the board. I've received input from quite a number of posters, but, of course, opinions varied from one extreme to the other.

Going forward, I would like to institute the following policy:

1) This thread titled "Classified Ads" will be set up, and all buy/sell posts should be posted in this thread. This will allow people who don't want to read the post(s) to skip them. I will be deleting the recent posts by Jim and Pete, and ask them to repost in this new thread. (To Jim and Pete---sorry for the inconvenience).

2) Classified Ads posts will be restricted to contributors to the board. If you don't want to expand the knowledge base of the board, then you lose the right to post "free" classified ads.

3) I don't want this board to become a "classified" board, so I ask everybody to use discretion regarding the number of posts that they make to this thread.

4) A reminder that there is no "pre-screening" of posters, so conclude transactions at your own risk.

I hope everybody finds these policies reasonable and fair, but please let me know if you agree/disagree.

regards

Elliot

Old 04-25-2002, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Posted By: Anonymous

<< "2) Classified Ads posts will be restricted to contributors to the board. If you don't want to expand the knowledge base of the board, then you lose the right to post "free" classified ads." >>

Elliot, you said that some of my posts set back the board a year to two. Do I still I still get to post a classified?

Old 04-25-2002, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

I hope you don't seriously expect me to respond to an anonymous post.

Old 04-25-2002, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Posted By: leon

don't you post your name with your post? Nothing personal it is just good to see who says what....best regards

Old 04-25-2002, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Posted By: David

The Anonymous post was mine, and it was accidental (the annymous part, not the post part).

The post was just a joke and, for the record, Elliot had never spoke unkindly to me.

Old 04-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Posted By: jeff

just curious: will this thread include posts like "wanted to let everybody know I have stuff on ebay now, you might be interested," even though that is not technically selling?

Old 04-25-2002, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Posted By: petecld

I see what you're saying and it's your board so I'll abide by the rules but but how is a post titled "(Which ever) set for sale" going to waste a collector's time as opposed to one called "Classified Ads"? If you don't want to buy the set being offered, wouldn't you just skip that thread?

What is wrong with a chatboard being a source for finding cards? Isn't that a benefit to other collectors, in addition to the steady stream of "Look at the latest scam on ebay" threads?"

If the only posts a particular person makes are ones announcing cards for sale - I can see your point but I would imagine a board like this means different things to different collectors. Why make it harder for those who might be looking for cards to buy?

Old 04-25-2002, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Posted By: brian

I agree with Elliot's rules for advertising items for sale on the board, they are simple and fair. I'm just wondering why they are even necessary, this board doesn't miss many listings, If you have something for sale everybody knows. compliments all around. brian

Old 04-25-2002, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Posted By: vorthian

<< If the only posts a particular person makes are ones announcing cards for sale - I can see your point but I would imagine a board like this means different things to different collectors. Why make it harder for those who might be looking for cards to buy? >>

Elliot once mentioned how many hits this board was getting so I know there are many people reading but are not posting for whatever reason.

Personally I get tired of the posts where people mention what cards they have listed on eBay as most of us are constantly checking eBay. I'd love to be aware of what the quiet souls here have for sale or are interested in purchasing. I think that would be a great bonus for this board.

On a side-note, I'm hitting WAY too many ceiling bids in Lipset. Reminds me of the last Mastro auction... gosh, I cost some people a good amount of cash.

Old 04-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Posted By: leon

well first off in the lipset I just called at 5pm or so and put my final 3 high bids on a few things...don't think I will get any but who knows....as far as the advertising goes I think anyone that comes on to just advertise should not necessarily be kicked off immediately, at least from what I have seen so far. So far, unless Elliot has been getting questions we don't know about concerning this, I have not seen anyone abuse it. A few folks have listed a few things. There are a lot more things in life that are more important to worry about. It is Elliots board and I will not start to do what I guess he is asking us not to do. So does this mean that if I want to sell some of my rare types that ya'll shouldn't get first shot? I have a very, very nice Mino from someone's careful and non-abusive advertising on the board. Is that bad? If someone abuses anything they should get a warning and then get deleted. No big deal. That's just my opinion and of course I appreciate this venue/forum so I will do anything that Elliot asks for on his board....regards all

Old 04-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Posted By: vorthian

<< well first off in the lipset I just called at 5pm or so and put my final 3 high bids on a few things...don't think I will get any but who knows....>>

Did you put a ceiling bid on lot 20? After placing 2 bids on that while being told I hit a ceiling bid and my other bids, I asked if I was put on the Christmas card mailing list.

Old 04-26-2002, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Pete, thanks for your comments in this thread, and more importantly thanks for your informative posts in other threads. Perhaps, I should have expanded on my rationale in greater detail.
As a background, on this subject, as on many others there is a wide divergence of opinion from the contributors on this board as to the correct path. I view my "job" as moderator to balance these concerns, and find a middle road. It may surprise you to hear how many people are totally against any buy/sell posts at all, including some who have taken advantage both in posting and responding to a post. I wanted to come up with a solution that responded to these concerns, while at the same time not having an outright ban. Having come up with the "Classified Ad" solution, I bounced this idea off of a number of regular contributors, to a mostly, if not totally favorable response. Thus my decision to implement this new policy. As an aside, I personally was never bothered by the ad postings, as I read everything posted on the board anyway.
Now, in response to some of your specific comments. I think the difference between having a classified ad thread, as opposed to a separate thread each time is best summarized as thinking of one as a half-page ad on page 3 in a newspaper versus a classified ad. It's a lot easier to ignore a classified ad in a newspaper as opposed to the ad. Still there are people who read the classified ads religiously. I believe the new policy sets an appropriate middle ground.
Regarding your second paragraph, I tend to agree almost totally with you on both points. Do you have a solution to the "scam" posts? I think a lot of people enjoy reading them, but sometimes I feel that's all we talk about.
Lastly, and for me most importantly, I do not view this board as "my" board. I believe this forum to be everybody's not mine. It's the posts from everybody that makes this board worthwhile, and the exchange of information. I'm embarassed when somebody calls this my board and think it should be referred to as either the N54 board or the VBBCF (Vintage Baseball Card Forum). The name aside, it's not a dictatorship, I'm certainly willing to change any policies if that's what most people think is in the greater good of the board. On numerous occasions I have solicited, both publicly and privately people's opinions and/or suggestions to make this a better place. Unfortunately, I guess, somebody has to take a lead role in making this forum work, and that has fallen to me. That also, I guess, gives me a bit more of a say in the operation of the board, but please keep your comments/suggestions coming in addition to your regular posting.

regards
Elliot

Old 04-26-2002, 01:13 AM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Jeff---short answer---Yes

Old 04-26-2002, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Default Classified Ads

Posted By: runscott

That way you can keep it clean - it's going to get huge otherwise