NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM

Count me in among those who would never send that multi-signed piece through the mail for a signature. Not only is the act of mailing it cost prohibitive and risky, but the possibility for a signer to damage the piece would be too high. That's a very cool item!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:24 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Weiss and Harridge...

A couple additions to the HOF Collection...Brings the total to 147!!

George Weiss Signed Letter and a William Harridge Album Page (Courtesy of Jim Stinson).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (6.5 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (63.4 KB, 251 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 12-19-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 PM

Hmm, I should reconsider my options. Since I won't be attending any HOF weekends anytime soon , I guess I should build a rapport with a trusted/esteemed board member who will be attending! Perhaps someone would be willing to act as a bailee of sorts (or at least recommend someone competent/trustworthy)?

The poster is great as is, but I see even more potential by adding to the theme.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:54 PM

Just picked up this cool 1940 San Francisco Seals stamp book. I know almost nothing about it. But the book has 17 out of the 25 stamps and even more amazing 23 out of 25 autographs.

Is this thing rare?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post
Hmm, I should reconsider my options. Since I won't be attending any HOF weekends anytime soon , I guess I should build a rapport with a trusted/esteemed board member who will be attending! Perhaps someone would be willing to act as a bailee of sorts (or at least recommend someone competent/trustworthy)?

The poster is great as is, but I see even more potential by adding to the theme.
I do go every year but that may be too much responsibility for me! Two kids responsibility I can handle, 80 HOF sigs? I dunno
Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Yay, me!!! This has been #1 on my autograph "wish list" for quite some time, but haven't had the cajones to pay $1000+ for one. Not perfect, but nice and vintage and I am very happy. Combined with the Cecil Travis bat I posted in the GU section, this has been my best Christmas ever, collecting-wise. (And it will keep on getting better when I unwrap Ron K's book!)

Ken
Wow i have a serious case jealousy developing! Congrats that is a beautiful ball.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

CJ-I collect multi-signed HOF pieces. I have shown this piece on here a few times, but let me give the backstory:

I started this piece during the fall of 1989, with Bob Feller at a show. It then sat in my parent's house for the next 20+ years until I stumbled upon it in 2009. I decided then to make it a multi-signed piece. I sent to Doerr and MacPhail, since they were free TTM. As those two came back, I started sending it to more players and included cash. I have the order someplace, but guys like Sparky, Irvin, Ford, Kaline, etc. Usually between $10-$20 cash. I tracked players response times and how much the going rate was on SportsCollectors.net.

In February 2011, I sent it to Whitey Herzog with $10 cash. I used the automated postal machine in the front lobby of the Post Office, had the package weighed, put the stamp on it, and left.

I saw numerous Herzog items coming back on SCN, started to get nervous for awhile. After not getting it back for a few weeks, I honestly gave up on it. I was pretty bummed out, but knew that is the chance you take with doing TTM. I thought about writing Whitey a note inquiring about the piece, but didnt. At the beginning of April, I see a package in my mailbox. I knew immediately it was ther Herzog item. I raced to the mailbox and found that it was "returned to sender". I honestly didnt care at that point, was just happy to have it back. After looking at the front of the package, it was returned to sender because "postage was due". And actually, it had a couple of attempted delivery dates on the envelope. Not sure if that was attempted delivery back to me, or to Herzog. I was confused as to why postage was due and it was coming back to me when I specifically had the package weighed and the appropriate stamp put on there. I was just happy to have the piece back (considering I chalked it up to being completely lost) and didnt want to fight with the post office.

I have actually mailed it out to three private signings since (LaSorda with MAB, Doug Harvey with the Feller Museum, and Gary Carter with JP's right before his passing) and have added Sandberg in person. I was a nervous wreck mailing it out two more times, but I guess I was lucky.

I will be honest, I dont think your piece should go anywhere near a post office. Save the money you would be spending on mailing supplies, postage, insurance, (not to mention worrying!) and make it up to Cooperstown one year and knock out a ton IP. But whatever you do, don't put that baby in the mail.

I usually go to Induction Weekend, but ironically havent since I started this project (3 years). And while I would love to help you out, I can honestly say I would be scared to death to have that thing in my possession.

Last edited by Cooptown; 12-20-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Cooptown: that's a great piece and maybe even better backstory. Thanks for sharing your experience. How great for you to pick up where you left off after so many years.

Honestly, I was never considering sending TTM directly to a player...only through a major promoter or a reputable board member.

Either way, I understand the hassle/anxiety/risk I'd be facing, but I love a challenge!

Making the actual pilgrimage to Cooperstown is my best bet, but I can't see that happening in the near future.

I may make a separate thread to solicit a willing/recommended member who might be willing to make an arrangement on my behalf.

Thanks to all for the advice. Why can't I just leave well enough alone?

Cal, Gwynn, Rickey, Maddux, Johnson, Griffey, et al..., that's why!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Mark Fox

A trio of bats

Old 12-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Merry Christmas to me!

Old 12-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
A trio of bats

Wow, that is one of the best Yaz autos I've seen
Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 PM
qu@n nguy3n

won the lot of 10 golden press in lelands. probably overpaid but wanted a couple cards. was ok with buying raw mostly because of this board's opinion of lelands' team of authentication
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golden.jpg (83.1 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by chaddurbin; 12-22-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Yep, most of us feel really good about their expertise.

Last night I won an expensive signed letter from them, that I would never have bid on from ANY other auction house.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Giovanni N.

I am ending the year on a high note, picked up some nice items this week.

The first a Dazzy Vance GPC from Stinson. This goes towards my Hall of Fame Collection and MVP collection.

Also picked up a 1929 4 in 1 exhibit card with Mel Ott and Bill Terry. Whats neat about the card is that it is actually Mel Ott's true rookie card and it is also signed by Bill Terry.

Also picked up a signed Tony Perez Rookie Card for my Rookie Card collection.

Still working on a few more deals to end the year with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VANCE1.jpg (65.4 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg terry.jpg (29.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg perez2.jpg (79.9 KB, 145 views)
Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
won the lot of 10 golden press in lelands. probably overpaid but wanted a couple cards. was ok with buying raw mostly because of this board's opinion of lelands' team of authentication
Lelands IS top shelf when it comes to authentications and autographs. As mentioned previously on the board.

Also.. Every one of the cards you pictured is spot on. Nice snag !
Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM

Default JimStinson

opps ...except for the Joe DiMaggio which appears to be sis
Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Both of these fighters are virtual locks for the HOF when they are definitively retired:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-28-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Just picked up this cool 1940 San Francisco Seals stamp book. I know almost nothing about it. But the book has 17 out of the 25 stamps and even more amazing 23 out of 25 autographs.

Is this thing rare?

It is not rare but it is not an every day item either. I usually see several each year in varying states of completion. The stamps themselves raw are actually a lot tougher to find than the booklet. And signed, it is very desirable, especially with O'Doul included. FWIW, I collect O'Doul and the signature looks dead-on correct. Nice pick!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-28-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default My 87th Perez Steele Post Card...

I'm pretty happy with this one...nice dark blue sig with HOF inscription. I haven't seen a lot of Lopez Perez Steele cards with inscriptions...

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Giovanni N.

Just picked up this 1955 Bowman signed Rookie card of baseball and football Hall of Famer Cal Hubbard. You dont see these every day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hubbard.jpg (70.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Giovanni N.

1959 Topps Ford Frick Rookie Card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frick.jpg (33.1 KB, 136 views)
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default 1947-48 Red Sox Team Sheet w/Ted Williams...

1947-48 Red Sox Team Sheet w/Ted Williams and Joe Cronin....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soxalbum1.JPG (29.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg soxalbum.JPG (21.2 KB, 84 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123