NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Looking for suggestions for my first pre-war card

Hey guys.

Either at the end of July or August (whenever I am satisfied with where I've rebuilt my savings to), I am going to recommence my baseball card collection, and vintage and pre-war cards will gradually become the greater focus of my hobby.

After reading the many discussions on this forum, and getting invaluable help in answering the seemingly countless questions I've had (and a big thank you to everybody who have indulged me), I feel comfortable enough to move into eras I've never explored. I know the "kid in a candy store" idiom is overused, but it best describes how I feel. I am really excited to get started, and I'm waiting somewhat impatiently to give myself the green light. I have some definite favorites, but I know there are so many cards out there I have never seen, so I want to broaden my horizons, so to speak.

There are some players I really want to add to my collection early on, chief among them Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Nap Lajoie, Honus Wagner, Tris Speaker, Joe Jackson, Cy Young, Rogers Hornsby, Stan Musial, Joe DiMaggio, Bob Feller, Jimmie Foxx, Ted Williams, Roy Campanella, etc. There are others, but these are the first ones to jump into my head.

If I had to pick a card I'm most likely to buy first from the pre war period, it would likely be the T206 Walter Johnson portrait. But then again, I really like the Matty T206 dark cap, as well as several of the Goudey Gum cards, and the Cracker Jack cards. And getting the latest Robert Edwards auction catalog really exposed me to a lot of cards I've never seen before. Things like the T202 triple folder cards, the T205 gold border set and the 1921-1922 era American Caramel cards are simply gorgeous.

So, while I count down the days until I can open up the ol' wallet, I'd love some suggestions on cards you guys think I might like. They can be individual cards for some of the players I've listed, or even sets you think I might have overlooked.

I typically spend about $400-500 a month for my collection, so if there's a card I want that exceeds my monthly budget, instead of going beyond my self imposed limit, I'll just save up until I have the card I want. I'm 41, and plan on sticking around for a long time. So, I'm in no rush. I want to build a collection I can enjoy (even if it means I have to drive to the bank, and pull them out of a safe deposit box to look at them in person!)

I am greatly looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. And thank you in advance for your help. I have my thinking cap on, and I'm ready to learn.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-20-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Adrian "Addie" Joss

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

No preconceived notions and do a type collection of cards you like that fit within your budget. A potential simple but effective solution .
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

There's a beautiful Adrian "Cap" Anson on the b/s/t right now...

You beat me to the punch Frank...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Adrian "Addie" Joss
Or Adrian "Cap" Anson?

Damn, not quick enough!

Last edited by BengoughingForAwhile; 06-20-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Dan Bretta

Wahoo Sam Crawford....I like his Cracker Jack cards the best. He's one of the more affordable hall of famers out there that fit nicely into a $400-$500/month budget. I'd put Eddie Collins into that category as well.

Slow and steady wins the race and it sounds like that's your plan.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Derek Granger

Or you could just stick w/ modern cards and buy up every Adrian Beltre card available!!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Bill Gregory

Oh, one more thing. My eventual goal is to develop my own website, one where I can display not only my vintage and modern collection, but blog about baseball, as well as create a knowledge base of sorts for sports card collectors to refer to. I'd like to have one central place where things like identifying forged and altered cards, as well as faked or cracked slabs, etc, can be easily found. The information is out there on the net, but through my own trial and error, I've discovered how hard it can be to find.

For now, my certified autograph collection (the preponderance of which are Bowman Chrome prospect autos) is on display on sportscardforum.com. If anybody interested in modern cards would like to look at my humble little collection as it currently stands, it can be found here. Eventually, I will redo all the scans without any one touch cases or top loaders. The way I'm doing it now is more for insurance purposes, which I will be setting up soon.

I do web design on the side, and since I have nothing but time right now, I figure this website will keep me occupied.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 AM
pete ullman

I'd consider boxing movie cards...I like the sylvester stallone "yo adrian" card!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Bill Gregory

Should I be looking for any Cap Anson, or Addie Joss cards in particular?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM
pete ullman

the t205 addie joss tribute card is a classic...any cap aanson card is special...pretty much!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Sean Costello

If you really like the T206 Matty dark cap, I believe Adrian is selling one on ebay right now.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
No preconceived notions and do a type collection of cards you like that fit within your budget. A potential simple but effective solution .
One of the wonderful things about our hobby is that there's really no right or wrong way to do it. There's so many players I've read about, or watched in old clips, over the years, and I want to add them all to my collection eventually, even if it's just one nice card to start out with.

For every Ted Williams, there's a Johnny Pesky. I like the Hall of Famers, and I like the guys that played supporting roles. They're all part of the history of the game I love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Wahoo Sam Crawford....I like his Cracker Jack cards the best. He's one of the more affordable hall of famers out there that fit nicely into a $400-$500/month budget. I'd put Eddie Collins into that category as well.

Slow and steady wins the race and it sounds like that's your plan.
That's pretty much going to be my mantra. As I've gotten older, I've become very disciplined. I've learned not to overextend myself. And there's no reason to rush. A hobby isn't supposed to create stress. It's supposed to be relaxing, and enjoyable. So if I buy just one card in a month...or if I have to save two months to get something I really want, finally getting that particular card in my hands will be all the more thrilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Or you could just stick w/ modern cards and buy up every Adrian Beltre card available!!
I'm more a Brewers guy, so maybe Rollie Fingers? He's one of the great characters of the game, he won a Cy Young and MVP while a Brewer, and he's in the Hall of Fame. And his cards aren't terribly expensive. Maybe I'll collect him as I go as well. And having a buddy that knows him, maybe I can ask him to sign a card or two for me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I'd consider boxing movie cards...I like the sylvester stallone "yo adrian" card!
I'm afraid if I do that, I'll start splurging on Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica cards, too. I'm big into 70s and 80s pop culture, and if I open Pandora's Box even a little, there's no telling what I might end up buying.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
If you really like the T206 Matty dark cap, I believe Adrian is selling one on ebay right now.
Buying a card from him would be analogous to "tickling the dragon's tail" without wearing a lead lined suit.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 AM
M!ke S@il£r

My first vintage card was Ty Cobb. He would be my first recommendation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !C!ml)0Q!mk~$(KGrHqIOKk!EzKC6P!IfBNDrkUJhQw~~_3.JPG (65.3 KB, 189 views)
Old 06-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
.. I'd like to have one central place where things like identifying forged and altered cards, as well as faked or cracked slabs, etc, can be easily found. The information is out there on the net, but through my own trial and error, I've discovered how hard it can be to find.
We have a pretty good section on that now...

http://www.net54baseball.com/forum/c...terations.html

Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecpa View Post
My first vintage card was Ty Cobb. He would be my first recommendation.
Mike, that's a beautiful card, and I haven't seen it before. That's the kind of recommendation I'm looking for. Links are helpful, scans of the card to look at here are even better.

I love the Cobb T206 cards, with the bat off shoulder being my favorite of the three (?). If I recall correctly, there's that one, then two others: a red back, and a green back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We have a pretty good section on that now...

http://www.net54baseball.com/forum/c...terations.html
I've read that a few times, and found it quite helpful.

Since I will be buying pre-war, vintage as well as continuing my modern collection here and there, I'd like that knowledge to include modern cards, too. I've been fortunate that the Chrome cards cannot really be faked because of how the cards are made. So, when I get one of those with a certified auto, I know it's legit.

I feel well-prepared to get into the older cards because of what I've learned here, though I'm sure I'll still need a little hand-holding from time to time.

Quote:
the t205 addie joss tribute card is a classic...any cap aanson card is special...pretty much!
Pete, I did want to ask you...could you provide a link to the Joss you're referring to? I'm assuming there are multiple Addie Joss cards in the T205 set, and when I did a search specifying "tribute", it didn't clarify it for me. Usually when I search on something like Matty dark cap, or Cobb off shoulder, I can find it. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology with the Joss.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-20-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Tony Quinn

Bill, I would think your first idea, the T206 Johnson port. is about as good as it gets. It's my absolute favorite card ever made. I had one a few years back and is one of only a handful of cards I wish I hadn't have sold (needed the money for a new house). The 4 on 1 exhibit with Gehrig and DiMaggio is super sweet too. Go with your gut, pick one you think you will never get tired of and you probably won't.
Good luck and enjoy it all!
PS - I feel your Brewer pain, I'm a White Sox fan. At least you guys have some good building blocks (Segura, Gomez etc.). We don't have much and a crap farm system to boot.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Buying a card from him would be analogous to "tickling the dragon's tail" without wearing a lead lined suit.
You could always reneg on the deal. He understands that well.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 AM

I'm with Peter. Can't go wrong with Joss, but I'm also biased towards T205's.

Last edited by asoriano; 06-20-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 AM
M!ke S@il£r

If you like Cobb, you can normally find them on the BST that don't break the bank. Some suggestions would be the E90-1, E93, E95, T205, T206. It depends on the grade, but generally, none of them will break the bank.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Bill, I would think your first idea, the T206 Johnson port. is about as good as it gets. It's my absolute favorite card ever made. I had one a few years back and is one of only a handful of cards I wish I hadn't have sold (needed the money for a new house). The 4 on 1 exhibit with Gehrig and DiMaggio is super sweet too. Go with your gut, pick one you think you will never get tired of and you probably won't.
Good luck and enjoy it all!
PS - I feel your Brewer pain, I'm a White Sox fan. At least you guys have some good building blocks (Segura, Gomez etc.). We don't have much and a crap farm system to boot.
I really love the Johnson. Arguably the greatest pitcher to ever play the game, in the greatest set ever produced, and a card with tremendous eye appeal. I will definitely look at what's out there, and who knows, I could be surprised. But there's a very good chance that by the time the end of the year rolls around, that is in my collection.

I mentioned in another thread that right now, I'd have to say my three favorite cards ever made are the T206 Johnson portrait, the 1953 Bowman Color Stan Musial, and the 1958 Topps Roberto Clemente. My fear is once I own all three, you guys might never see me again, lol.

If you read a story about a guy clutching an SGC-slabbed T206 Johnson portrait, calling it "the precious", you'll know what happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
You could always reneg on the deal. He understands that well.
Thankfully, I don't anticipate having any dealings with him.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecpa View Post
If you like Cobb, you can normally find them on the BST that don't break the bank. Some suggestions would be the E90-1, E93, E95, T205, T206. It depends on the grade, but generally, none of them will break the bank.
I'll check those out when I get up later this evening. And I'll definitely make good use of the B/S/T forum once the floodgates open on my end. Thank you for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoriano View Post
I'm with Peter. Can't go wrong with Joss, but I'm also biased towards T205's.

Thank you, Turner. I thought that might be it. Great card.

I'm making a long mental list.

Please keep the suggestions coming guys, and I'll check this later tonight. Right now, I need to get some sleep, and give the back a rest.

Thank you all! I am enjoying this discussion thus far, and learning as I go.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Ja,mie B.

Honestly, I think you've answered your own question. Just go with a Johnson portrait then. It's a beautiful card and you can't go wrong. Be patient and try to find one with good aesthetics.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
Honestly, I think you've answered your own question. Just go with a Johnson portrait then. It's a beautiful card and you can't go wrong. Be patient and try to find one with good aesthetics.
You might be right. But if people are willing to offer other suggestions, I'd still love to look at them.

If anybody could message me privately with suggestions on which Ebay dealers I should be looking to buy from, that would be quite helpful. When I get ready to start shopping, I'll be checking our B/S/T several times a day, and the auction houses. I know that Robert Edwards will be doing a fall auction sometime in October. I'll check into Heritage Auctions as well.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

t3 Cobb
T205 Joss

There are a lot of ruth cards that I love
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

The answer is so obvious. How can a poster named "the 'stache" choose anything other than the John Titus T206?

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-20-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM

Of the cards you are considering, I'd not bother with the Matty dark cap. Personally I feel that the T206 "superprints" are way overpriced. There are tons and tons of them out there. Sure, some of them are popular - like the Matty dark cap and Cobb red, but considering the supply, they should be cheaper.

If you accept that the recent T206 back craze is a manifestation of T206 collectors looking for a way to inject scarcity considerations into collecting a set that really is not scarce at all, then buying a superprint is probably a big step in the wrong direction (at least from a future value perspective).

Cheers,
Blair
Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM
pete ullman

You should buy a tougher more obscure type card of a player of your choice as there are tons of bargains out there these days...t216, t217, d303/304...or consider the t213 counterpart to t206.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
The answer is so obvious. How can a poster named "the 'stache" choose anything other than the John Titus T206?
Eddie, looking at it on Ebay, that's actually a pretty nice card. It appears that the T205 is more plentiful, however, as there is only one graded and one ungraded T206 available for sale currently.

I will have to add that one to my collection, and soon. A nice example shouldn't be too terribly expensive, and I am looking for a broad variety of cards. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Of the cards you are considering, I'd not bother with the Matty dark cap. Personally I feel that the T206 "superprints" are way overpriced. There are tons and tons of them out there. Sure, some of them are popular - like the Matty dark cap and Cobb red, but considering the supply, they should be cheaper.

If you accept that the recent T206 back craze is a manifestation of T206 collectors looking for a way to inject scarcity considerations into collecting a set that really is not scarce at all, then buying a superprint is probably a big step in the wrong direction (at least from a future value perspective).

Cheers,
Blair
That's a great suggestion, Blair, and I do have to remember that while I am looking to buy for my own PC, and don't anticipate parting with them, it is still prudent to think of them as an investment as well.

Quote:
You should buy a tougher more obscure type card of a player of your choice as there are tons of bargains out there these days...t216, t217, d303/304...or consider the t213 counterpart to t206.
Pete, Dan mentioned Eddie Collins earlier in this discussion, and after reading your post, I find I am really liking the T213 Eddie Collins Chicago "A on shirt". It's got incredible eye appeal (the deep red background is so striking compared to the subject). I admit that after seeing it, I want to learn more about Collins.

Though I would consider myself to have a fairly broad knowledge of baseball history, I am somewhat less-versed in the period from the late 1800's to about 1920. I just haven't read as much about it, but with my foray into tobacco cards, I see that changing. I'm already feeling the itch to break out Ken Burns' "Baseball" on Netflix once again. I think I'll watch that tonight after my shower

/tip of the cap to you, Pete.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-20-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:54 AM
MikeHealer

Here's the Philadelphia "A" on shirt. Nice looking cards in lower grades.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 PM
pete ullman

Wow mike...BEAUTY!