NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Derek Granger

Default Babe Ruth Cachet - 1914 Balt. image

Anyone have any thoughts on this Babe Ruth Cachet w/ his 1914 Balt. News rookie image on it (looks like it was postmarked in 1939). Weird to see an item that used his 1914 image reprinted in 1939 don't you think??

Interested in people's thoughts on this item...and have you seen another?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=19157477705

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Baseball was a century old in 39? Hmmmmmm???

Member since 2009
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was watching it. Neat item but still a commemorative type piece so I wasn't interested enough to go for it.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 AM
D@vid Mor1@rty

And he sold one with a 48 Leaf Ruth on it postmarked in 1939. How did that happen?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baseball-Fir...#ht_165wt_1172
Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Somebody got ahold of some old plate blocks of the 1939 stamp and is creating these things. At least be smart about it... 1939 item with the image of a card produced a decade later? Criminals are so stupid sometimes!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Ken Wirt

Hmmm.... Something not right, here.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Hank Thomas

These are called "Add-on" cachets, something fairly new to the hobby, I believe, where old stamped envelopes are imprinted with a new image. Cachet expert Phil Marks clued me in after I unknowingly picked up a couple for resale a year or so ago. The seller of the Ruth has a tiny "Add-on" listed under the image, although I don't know how the postmark got on there--maybe that's new, too. They are practically worthless, and the buyer of the Ruth really got hosed. These are made with the intention to deceive, I think.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

He must be dumb for using a 1948 image on that but it seems to be working for him as he raked in over $300 on that Ruth. Disgusting...
Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I was keeping an eye on that too. I thought it was a pretty sharp looking piece, BUT knew exactly what it was.. I honestly can't believe it went for as much as it did.. Somebody is gonna be very disappointed once they figure it out...
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Covers like that are very easy to make. There are plenty of first day covers out there that have no cachets on them; they're just envelopes with the stamp and postmark on them.

It's a simple matter to take these uncacheted covers and print a cachet on them.

Steve
Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I think the guy is completely making these and not even bothering to find real stamped FDC's as both examples have the same date and time stamp 9 am on them. Looks like he has had a few rubber stamps made to help him on his way.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I think the guy is completely making these and not even bothering to find real stamped FDC's as both examples have the same date and time stamp 9 am on them. Looks like he has had a few rubber stamps made to help him on his way.
Nope, no need to do that. The cancelling of the first day covers even back then was done a few different ways. The baseball centannial was a popular stamp. The official count of first day covers was 398,199. The majority of those were done my mail in orders, you'd send an envelope and money to cover the stamps to the official first day post office in advance. Once they'd made them they went in the mail. Most of those were done on the standard cancelling machine, or in the case of Cooperstown probably a few machines brought there for the day by the POD. Each machine could handle several thousand envelopes an hour. And since they were souvenirs the PO wasn't always good about changing the time since they had to do it manually.

The more interesting first day covers are the ones with odd rates like two stamps to make airmail, or odd size envelops which had to be cancelled by hand. People getting theirs at the ceremony itself would have also had a bigger chance of getting a hand cancel.
Another thing that was and still is done is making FDCs from unofficial towns. People would buy stamps then get them cancelled in the next town, or some other nearby town. One dealer made an amazing effort to get some from unofficial towns with names related to the subject of the stamp. sometimes that meant an early morning purchase and a long train ride.

Single stamps and plate blocks were popular choices. Normal blocks of 4 were not unusual.

Addressed first day covers with no cachet can be had very affordably. Usually between $10 and 15.

with some printers the ink won't cover or won't stick to the black ink of the cancel. So it's easy to print a cachet and make it look like it was under the cancel.

Add on cachets are becoming common, some are decent quality, some not as good, even the hand painted ones. Some of the nice ones are collectable as art, as long as they're advertised as add-ons. (These aren't all that well done, I'd probably be less interested in them than a blank FDC.)

More modern FDCs are even cheaper. Nearly all of the addressed uncacheted ones are the sort of thing most dealers would sell for $1 or less. I passed up a batch of maybe 10 thousand for $500. The dealer had them for sale individually at a quarter each.

Steve B
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
First Day of Issue slogan cancellations of that era all have 9.00am as the time, regardless of when the postmark was actually applied. And it's a Federal offense to forge official postal markings such as First Day cancellations.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Hank Thomas

In this example, it looks like the cancellation is stamped over the Ruth card. If the Ruth was added on, how did they do that?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=19157477705