NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2013, 03:05 PM
Jake Dahl

Default Selling a Collection or Starting One

I didn't know where to put this so I decided here at the top. Now I was thinking this for the past two days, what is a collectors bad time selling off that prized collection that you cherish and devoted time, money and effort too, or starting that first collection and well just getting started?? I am currently in the process of selling off a modern day hockey collection that seems tougher to sell because of the semimetal value of the cards and all the time it took to accumulate the cards. It seems like when I want to sell this collection I get a feeling like "no not that one", or "I should keep that one and continue the collection", just stuff like that. Anyone else feel this about a collection you are so near and dear too. I remember back in the day when starting a collection was almost a great time cause you wonder what challenges are ahead and the amount of information out there, and what cards or memorabilia can I collect on my budget, man those days of starting a collection, seems like yesterday!

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia

Last edited by HOF Yankees; 05-31-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:30 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

The hardest part is making the decision in deciding what to keep and what goes. But I've found that once I've made that decision and it's gone, I didn't miss it. Granted, this was stuff "sitting in a closet".

I would suggest asking yourself, "Is this part of my collection I enjoy on a regular basis?". If you can define what "enjoy" and "regular basis" means to you, then the decision becomes a bit easier to make (IMHO).

In my case, it was stuff I hadn't even looked at in years(?). Even though it took me awhile to put it together, it was just "stored away". As well, my "enjoyment" is looking at the cards, maybe every few months. Since that wasn't happening, I decided said what's the point, and it made the move out the door so much easier.

My $0.02.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:52 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I change collecting directions about as often as I change underwear, that is to say, about every two weeks. And I, (and everyone around me), welcome the change.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Banned

if you cant let it go or are torn about it, then you dont want to sell it, just keep it then.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Jake Dahl

I went through it and keeping my favorite team stuff

1960 Topps Baseball set

Old 05-31-2013, 08:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

I have a few collections, plus a bunch of stuff I bought to sell.

I don't have much trouble selling the stuff I bought to sell, aside from laziness about actually doing it.

The collections though......I seldom sell something. I've sold two "collection" cards since I joined, both going to collections that the cards just fit better. I still have a few minor pangs when I see them, but that's balanced by knowing they're in really great specialized collections.

Before joining, the last time I sold cards from the collection was I think 1985 or 86. I sold a 48 Bowman set and a couple T206s to fund a ski trip. I still regret selling the Bowman set. It was probably one of the worst sets. Berra was colorized with crayon - A yellow uniform? Maybe the kid went on to design the Padres uniforms. About 10 cards were worn round from flipping and were waxed as well. Musial had paperloss on the front, and One of the other better cards had stapleholes. I think only 3 or 4 were as good as VG.

There's a few "inventory" things that I thnk are just waiting for the right home. (Anyone collect Rexall drug store memorabilia? )

And before anyone asks, Yes I have way too much stuff.

Steve B
Old 05-31-2013, 11:52 PM
Tony Davis

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I change collecting directions about as often as I change underwear, that is to say, about every two weeks. And I, (and everyone around me), welcome the change.
Dave - you live in Hawaii and change your undies every two weeks? You probably get the beach to yourself...
Old 06-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Steven

Good question, I have no answers as I am currently trying to decide whether to sell my 178 CJs or continue on to finish the "set" at 180...not sure what to do and answers don't seem to be coming as I've been in purgatory with this choice for 2+ weeks now.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Jake Dahl

hockey collection has sold, now only need to worry about vintage baseball, and vintage football collections now

1960 Topps Baseball set