NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Default T207 Recruit Ink

I need to hear from the T207 gurus. As we all know, these little beauties came with several reverses, the most common by far being Recruit. But as I discovered when winning a T207 on offer on Ebay, which had been listed by David Bryan, there was a difference with the normal Recruit print I don't recall the player, but the card had been graded by BVG and noted on the label that it was a brown ink Recruit.
My first thought, after I had examined it closely and determined, yes, it was definitely brown ink as opposed to the normal black print, was that this was just like the T206 brown Lenox. Eureeka!
I then decided to consign it, along with other stuff, in the last Mile High auction and it received very indifferent treatment by bidders. I was more than
a little surprised. Maybe the different inks has long been known in the hobby, but it was new to me. I wonder if BVG is the only tpg noting the difference.
I have another T207 with this anomaly: Ed Ruelbach BVG 5 clearly stating brown Recruit back. Can anybody help? Please
Old 11-17-2015, 10:51 AM
pete ullman

this variation has been known for a long time. additionally you will find that errors...upside down backs...severe miscuts...blank backs...variations in general do not mean much to most...unless we're talking t206!
Old 11-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Ken McMillan

I have a Brown ink background myself as part of my Cubs T207 back run. Can't remember what player so will check this evening. They are not real common but do exist as there was a lot of 4 brown print T207 cards in the last REA auction. Are you looking to sell the card? Do you have some scans of the Reulbach card you have? Mine is Leonard Cole factory 240 back.

Last edited by kmac32; 11-17-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:50 PM
David Kathman

I also have a brown ink Recruit T207, one of the T207s I collected 15-20 years ago. I didn't even notice the brown ink until I was examining all my T207 backs earlier this year. I did a search on this board and found some threads on them. They seem to be somewhat scarce but not super rare, and as others have noted here (and as you experienced), they don't command a significant premium because there just isn't the demand. As with all century-old pieces of cardboard, they don't have any significant inherent value; they're worth only what somebody is willing to pay for them.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Mike

Default What they said.

These "brown ink Recruit backs" have been known for a number of years, and may have been first noticed/recorded as such by Jay Behrens. There seems to be little premium for them, as they're not of much interest to most folks. If I recall, ones in VG/Ex quality were going for somewhere around 100-150 a while back. Every so often they get hyped and there's a flurry of activity ... then it quickly settles down - like most things T207.

It has been said that they're found with both Factory 606 and Factory 240 backs, but I've never seen images of any other than Fac 240 - at least not ones that were clearly brown. There's usually a discussion about it not really being brown, but faded black or some other nonsense as its blindingly clear in person. Once you've seen one, you can usually pick them out accurately from scans ... those that have them should know exactly what I'm referring to. There are likely lots more out there to be identified.

Someone (Jeff L?) responded to a question about whether a specific T206 Old Mill was a brown back: "If you have to ask, its not" - it applies equally here.

One of the threads David K refers to has a side-by-side of a black and brown ink back.

--
Mike

Last edited by frohme; 11-17-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: add thread reference
Old 11-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Jack Vernon

I'm curious, anyone know of a Cleveland Naps example?
Old 11-18-2015, 02:12 PM

T207s are the red-headed step children of the major tobacco card sets. Personally, I love them and have put together 3 sets over the years but a lot of collectors don't like the smaller % of star players or the brown and tan colors which they describe as drab. If you get ahold of an exmt or better T207, there are no cards better, they are beautiful IMHO.

As far as the brown ink backed T207s, I have one also in my set as a "type" but unfortunately their value is not correspondingly great because of a lack of demand. The same can be said of the blank backed T207s which are rather scarce but their value isn't what you would think. I have a few of these as "types" also. Finally even the "wrong back" T207s don't carry the kind of sticker price you would think for cards that border on rare. Maybe some day...
Old 11-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Val Kehl

I won this lot of 4 T207 cards with the brown-ink printing on the back in the recent REA auction:
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/..._fall/235.html

Interestingly, SGC has noted "Brown Back" on the flips on only 2 of these 4 cards. I plan to ask SGC at the upcoming Philly Show to re-holder the other 2 with this notation. The only card I'm keeping for my collection is the WaJo card - the other 3 cards are available FS/FT.
Val
Old 11-19-2015, 06:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
T207s are the red-headed step children of the major tobacco card sets. Personally, I love them and have put together 3 sets over the years but a lot of collectors don't like the smaller % of star players or the brown and tan colors which they describe as drab. If you get ahold of an exmt or better T207, there are no cards better, they are beautiful IMHO.

As far as the brown ink backed T207s, I have one also in my set as a "type" but unfortunately their value is not correspondingly great because of a lack of demand. The same can be said of the blank backed T207s which are rather scarce but their value isn't what you would think. I have a few of these as "types" also. Finally even the "wrong back" T207s don't carry the kind of sticker price you would think for cards that border on rare. Maybe some day...
I love T207s for their basic brown designs. The brown backs are scarce but as mentioned the demand isn't too great hence values aren't affected too much, generally speaking. We need to rename them T206 and they would be all the rage.