NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Mark Fober

Default "Back run" defined

Might be a silly question... I'm considering a "back run" on a specific T206 card. Do I need to consider/include the various factory designations or would brand names only suffice?

Realizing this is likely just a matter of collector preference, I'm curious as to what others say.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2015, 01:04 PM
pete ullman

as you've stated...this is a personal preference. if it is me...I'm getting all backs known to exist including any back/front variations including factory variations as my goal.

but again...this is just me!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Luke Lyon

Yeah, totally up to you. I know of some people who don't care about the different factory numbers, so they don't get all the Sweep Caps. Most people include all the factory numbers though. Some Sweet Caps are really tough to find. They can make back runs more fun because you're looking for a rare combination, but when you find it, you won't need to pay a huge premium.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Sean Costello

It's up to you, but I always consider a back run to include Factory numbers. Only the Piedmont 42 will be expensive.
I also count Blank backs (if you are using T206resource.com as a guide, remember that they list the Blanks separate from the other back info).
I also include Brown/Yellow scraps, but I have a compulsive personality, so maybe you shouldn't be listening to my opinion.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:32 PM
pete ullman

additionally...very short runs don't interest me in the least...like t206 SL'ers...where there are only 4-5 diff backs. My miller run will likely take me a lifetime to complete...if ever!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
additionally...very short runs don't interest me in the least...like t206 SL'ers...where there are only 4-5 diff backs. My miller run will likely take me a lifetime to complete...if ever!
Or if you really want a short run, try a Demmitt or O'Hara St.L. They only come with Polar Bear backs.

Seriously Pete, good luck with the Big Glove run.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Dave H@rford

Default Super Print Torture

Or if you want a huge back run, pick one of the "super prints". I am only 15 different backs into the 23 or 24 (still some to be confirmed) known back variations for the Chance yellow portrait. Like Ullmandds, this is a lifetime project with the ones I still need.
Dave
Old 11-16-2015, 02:09 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Or if you really want a short run, try a Demmitt or O'Hara St.L. They only come with Polar Bear backs.

Seriously Pete, good luck with the Big Glove run.
haha...nice sean...but a single card cannot be a run by definition!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:17 PM
David Kathman

As others have said, it's totally up to you. When I first started collecting T206 backs in the early-to-mid 1990s, pretty much nobody paid attention to factory numbers. Even Piedmont Factory 42 didn't really command a premium, or maybe just a small one, as far as I know. So when I put together this page around 1994/95, I considered the Piedmont, Sweet Caporal, and Sovereign parts of my back collection to be complete at a 150, 350, and 460 of each:

When I got back into T206 more seriously in the past year or two, factory numbers had become an important factor in most people's definition of a back collection (or back run of a single player), and I began to pay attention to them too. I looked through my Piedmont 460s from back in the day and found that I didn't have any Factory 42s, but I was able to pick one up from Ted Z at the National this year. Then a few months ago I did an inventory of my T206s by backs, including factory numbers, and found that I had all of the Sweet Caporal backs except for 460 factory 42, no overprint. Luckily I was able to find one almost immediately, and I didn't have to pay any kind of premium. (I just recently got another one, and didn't even realize that's what it was until I got the card in the mail and looked at it closely.)
Old 11-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Mark Fober

Thanks for all of the great ideas and conversation.

I can never stay very focused with any one part of my collection so this is all conjecture for me at this point. From what I understand, the toughest Bresnahan (portrait) back is a Brown Hindu. Otherwise, it would be pointless for me. With blank backs, various factories, etc... I suppose that might not necessarily be true. I really like the thought of finding a treasured card (for my specific collection) and not paying an exorbitant premium. (common back...yet different factory) That is the stuff collectors dream of.

I'm almost 50 and I have another 150 years of collecting planned.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:54 PM
pete ullman

mark...i used to be a type collector...and part of the fun...for me...of doing a caramel/tobacco run is that it is basically type collecting...except with the same/similar fronts...which to me is infinitely exciting and holds my interest. Atleast until it's complete...then I will likely no longer be interested!!!!

Good luck whatever u decide.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:33 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
As others have said, it's totally up to you. When I first started collecting T206 backs in the early-to-mid 1990s, pretty much nobody paid attention to factory numbers. Even Piedmont Factory 42 didn't really command a premium, or maybe just a small one, as far as I know. So when I put together this page around 1994/95, I considered the Piedmont, Sweet Caporal, and Sovereign parts of my back collection to be complete at a 150, 350, and 460 of each:

When I got back into T206 more seriously in the past year or two, factory numbers had become an important factor in most people's definition of a back collection (or back run of a single player), and I began to pay attention to them too. I looked through my Piedmont 460s from back in the day and found that I didn't have any Factory 42s, but I was able to pick one up from Ted Z at the National this year. Then a few months ago I did an inventory of my T206s by backs, including factory numbers, and found that I had all of the Sweet Caporal backs except for 460 factory 42, no overprint. Luckily I was able to find one almost immediately, and I didn't have to pay any kind of premium. (I just recently got another one, and didn't even realize that's what it was until I got the card in the mail and looked at it closely.)
They look great in the binder like that David.

Is that a Brown Lenox?
Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 PM

Default Back Run

I would tend to agree that "back run" includes different factories; otherwise it's just a "back BRAND run."

On the other hand, I probably wouldn't include blank backs and other scrap and print freaks e.g. upside down backs, etc. etc.

But to each his own.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Having been out of the hobby for 10 years, one of the revelations upon my return about the current vintage hobby is the strong interest, perhaps for some obsession, with T206 backs. I believe it was a marketing masterstroke by the tpg cos. to break out separate tobacco company reverses and start a population report on each player/back. It started a whole new level of interest among T206 collectors for the tougher reverses and a windfall, I guess, for grading cos. I can't even image what my Griffith batting PSA 7 Drum back, long gone, might be worth today. Another sleepless night.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
I would tend to agree that "back run" includes different factories; otherwise it's just a "back BRAND run."

On the other hand, I probably wouldn't include blank backs and other scrap and print freaks e.g. upside down backs, etc. etc.

But to each his own.
I am a back collector and this is where I stand. I know I won't ever get them all. I've set my current goal to get to number 13 - American Beauty 460.

I currently have all four Piedmonts, all 9 Sweet Caporals, both Old Mills, all four Sovereigns, a Polar Bear, a Tolstoi and a Cycle 350.

But, don't just limit yourself to backs only. I also have other "projects" I'm working on. Team sets- Atlanta and Providence and Lavender. If you limit yourself, you'll find you are hunting, looking and getting nowhere on the backs. Unless you have money to spend.

That's just my opinion, but I've lived it and adjusted.

Best of luck. It is fun to collect T206's.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Having been out of the hobby for 10 years, one of the revelations upon my return about the current vintage hobby is the strong interest, perhaps for some obsession, with T206 backs. I believe it was a marketing masterstroke by the tpg cos. to break out separate tobacco company reverses and start a population report on each player/back. It started a whole new level of interest among T206 collectors for the tougher reverses and a windfall, I guess, for grading cos. I can't even image what my Griffith batting PSA 7 Drum back, long gone, might be worth today. Another sleepless night.
Actually, you have cause and effect backwards. The advanced T206 community started to appreciate back nuance, which led TPG kicking and screaming to its current posture. PSA didn't even include back brands on the flip until circa 2011.

Last edited by sreader3; 11-16-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Actually, you have cause and effect backwards. The advanced T206 community started to appreciate back nuance, which led TPG kicking and screaming to its current posture. PSA didn't even include back brands on the flip until circa 2011.
Correct...the TPG'ers in general have been quite ignorant to the nuances of back collecting...even to this day
Old 11-16-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Correct...the TPG'ers in general have been quite ignorant to the nuances of back collecting...even to this day
Yep. It's a case of supply meeting existing demand, not supply creating its own demand (e.g. iPhone).

Last edited by sreader3; 11-16-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:07 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
They look great in the binder like that David.

Is that a Brown Lenox?
No, I wondered the same thing, but when I started a thread about it back in April, I was assured that both of my Lenoxes are black:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=204248
Old 11-16-2015, 10:23 PM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Casey View Post
Thanks for all of the great ideas and conversation.

I can never stay very focused with any one part of my collection so this is all conjecture for me at this point. From what I understand, the toughest Bresnahan (portrait) back is a Brown Hindu. Otherwise, it would be pointless for me. With blank backs, various factories, etc... I suppose that might not necessarily be true. I really like the thought of finding a treasured card (for my specific collection) and not paying an exorbitant premium. (common back...yet different factory) That is the stuff collectors dream of.

I'm almost 50 and I have another 150 years of collecting planned.
Mark

Touching on your comment about staying focused, it would be easier for you to do a "brand" run than a "back" run as sreader3 has mentioned in post #13.

I would bet that you will find a Hindu back before you find all 5 different Sweet Caporal backs. Assuming you don't have some of the Sweet Caporal backs already, you will need some focus to find them all.

In the end, it all comes down to what you prefer.

Hope this helps

Jantz
Old 11-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Dave H@rford

Default Tougher than Hindu

Mighty Casey,
As Jantz just pointed out, for the Print Group 1 cards, like the Bresnahan Portrait, you will likely find the Brown Hindu well before all the Sweet Caporal backs.

BUT, even worse, you will find 5-6 Hindu backs before you find the Old Mill back. There was a low-grade Hindu that just sold last month; I would expect the Old Mill to come up only a few times a decade.

(Just from my experience with my Print Group 1 Lajoie Throwing back run).
Dave

Last edited by Harford20; 11-17-2015 at 12:09 PM.