NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Mike

Default T206 Gilbert Missing Red?

What sort of a "real" premium (if any) is associated with a card like this? It appears to be missing the Red pass . I see a few crazy BINs but no completed sales on the Bay.

Here is the card that I have.
gilbert_001.jpg

Here is a scan from the Bay.
gilberts.jpg

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 11-11-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Scott S

I can't help with price estimates, but I can say that SGC told me at a show this past weekend that they are no longer grading cards like this, which are missing ink, etc.

I had a similar T206 and also an E92. Sounds like they have had a few cases of fraudulent altered cards which they haven't been able to detect easily, so they are staying away from grading these.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:52 PM

From what I understand adhesive on the backs of cards most commonly affects red ink. This card looks to have some kind of stain on the back of it, which could be a remnant from being glued to something and soaked.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:53 PM
pete ullman

i don't think there is any relation between the back stain and the missing red ink...I believe it looks legit. But...I have no idea on value...def worth more to some then others. No book for things like this.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Mike

I can say that the card has not been soaked in my possession. There is no residue on the back. The stain, I believe is just that, a stain.

I have been told by people that I trust that they believe it legit.

I am curious as to what to do with it. There is one on the Bay with a $640 BIN. I was going to put this on my $23 or less thread for $21 until I was enlightened.

I do not partake in the "Freak" side of the hobby so I do not really have a clue.

I would like to get rid of it as that is what I am doing, buying slabbed examples and moving the raw, entombing my Monster. The question really is....@$21 ...$640 or somewhere in between?

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 11-11-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Robert A

I agree that it looks legit. Hard to put a price on it, but my opinion is that an ebay auction would find enough interested parties to determine it's value.

Rob
Old 11-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

It looks like it may be an actual missing color. Red is tricky because it fades so much from light.

The couple T206s I have that I believe are actually missing color are missing at least two colors.
So if it's missing one of the other colors I'd say it's most likely unaltered.

Value is always difficult with these.
I'd have bought it for sure at $21, and probably a bit higher. Hard to tell where that limit would be, 40-50 might make me pause a bit. Others would stop earlier or later.
At the $640 of the Ebay BIN I'd probably be out because of budget, but with a really good scan I'd be interested.

I think Robs suggestion of auctioning it on Ebay (Or even here) would be the best route. The question then would be the starting price.
I've picked up a few nice cards on Ebay I think because others avoided an auction for what looked like an altered card.

Somewhere well above the $21, but also well under the 640 ........Yeah, I'm not being real helpful on price.

Start with a nice big scan, 600dpi, maybe Higher. 1200 will show nearly everything.
Of course that would have to be hosted somewhere besides here or Ebay where the scans get reduced.

Steve B
Old 11-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Mike

I do not sell on eBay but I am finishing up the details with a friend who does. I guess we shall see what the world thinks
Old 11-11-2015, 02:47 PM

Hi Mike!,

Fir what its worth...
I have tracked, Sold, Collect & Collected Anomaly's.

I would venture ta guess that a Good Price fir this one
iN ta days Market would be between $150 - $200!

"NiCe Catch!"

jmho...

Good Luck wit the Sale!!!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:43 PM

Default Mike...

sorry to be late to the party!!! raw like this, $150.00- $200.00 EXACTLY what denny said....

if it were slabbed as " missing magenta" or " missing red ink" $600- $800.00

these have become "tricky" some are legit( Sweeney no "B").......other are sun/ chemical faded as steve said...

must be careful with these....$150.00 is a fair price on it
Old 11-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Archive

I'm waiting for the glue/adhesive to leach out the red ink on the back, so my McGinnity will then be a blank back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McGinnity MRI front.jpg (70.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg McGinnity MRI back.jpg (70.7 KB, 157 views)
Old 11-12-2015, 06:13 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It looks like it may be an actual missing color. Red is tricky because it fades so much from light.

The couple T206s I have that I believe are actually missing color are missing at least two colors.
So if it's missing one of the other colors I'd say it's most likely unaltered.

Value is always difficult with these.
I'd have bought it for sure at $21, and probably a bit higher. Hard to tell where that limit would be, 40-50 might make me pause a bit. Others would stop earlier or later.
At the $640 of the Ebay BIN I'd probably be out because of budget, but with a really good scan I'd be interested.

I think Robs suggestion of auctioning it on Ebay (Or even here) would be the best route. The question then would be the starting price.
I've picked up a few nice cards on Ebay I think because others avoided an auction for what looked like an altered card.

Somewhere well above the $21, but also well under the 640 ........Yeah, I'm not being real helpful on price.

Start with a nice big scan, 600dpi, maybe Higher. 1200 will show nearly everything.
Of course that would have to be hosted somewhere besides here or Ebay where the scans get reduced.

Steve B
I have found the colors on the T206 cards do not fade easily and that includes the red. The faded T206 cards that are seen sat out on display for many years to get that way.

Chemical altering is different but if you just sit one out in the sun or in a specially designed box with a very powerful light source it takes longer to see just a little change in a T206 than it takes to completely remove colors from 1950-Present cards. That is what I hear from a friend.

If true it is a very good thing that SGC is going to stop grading missing color cards as very few actually left the factory missing colors compared to the never ending supply of missing color cards available.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:53 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
What sort of a "real" premium (if any) is associated with a card like this? It appears to be missing the Red pass . I see a few crazy BINs but no completed sales on the Bay.
Sorry, all, but this is not a missing ink card. The tell-tale sign on the Gilbert cards is the belt region. While the other areas of red on this card had an undercoat of pink/buff, the belt region does not. Any remnant of red/pink/etc. on the belt is a fade of some sort.

The "St. Louis" area of the uniform is also a tell. There should only be one layer of color of the grey if this was missing ink. There are two: the pink/buff and a faded red.

I used this info when trying to convince SGC that a Gilbert that I had was, in fact, missing the red pass. They didn't budge. And speaking of missing... I'm really missing that McGinnity that I consigned to H&S back in the day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gilbert.jpg (78.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg gilbertNoRed.jpg (65.7 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by t206hound; 11-13-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I have found the colors on the T206 cards do not fade easily and that includes the red. The faded T206 cards that are seen sat out on display for many years to get that way.

Chemical altering is different but if you just sit one out in the sun or in a specially designed box with a very powerful light source it takes longer to see just a little change in a T206 than it takes to completely remove colors from 1950-Present cards. That is what I hear from a friend.

If true it is a very good thing that SGC is going to stop grading missing color cards as very few actually left the factory missing colors compared to the never ending supply of missing color cards available.
The couple I bought supposedly had around 40 years of exposure. Framed and hung in a barbershop. I figured they'd be good cards to look at for clues like whether the formerly red ink was visible as a glossy area. It was on one and wasn't on the other.

Others from the same seller did get slabbed, and I believe that group may have been what made SGC decide not to slab them anymore.

Steve B