NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
You can say then they shouldn't do public shows, and I already agreed that is reasonable. In an ideal world only the sweethearts would do them, and everybody would love it. But I also suggested an explanation for why it doesn't always work out ideally that I think helps to make sense of their behavior.
Explanation, perhaps. Excuse, no way. No one who acts like a jerk at a show should do any more of them. If an athlete finds it distasteful to deal with the general public, he can always reject the offer to do a show. A HOFer is not going to lack for signing work. He can do private signings through an agent or web site and never interact with the people he obviously disdains. What irks me is when an athlete shows up, repeatedly, at the National or at a show, and then is surly or churlish with the customers. I don't buy any excuse for not bringing a professional attitude to the performance. They're getting paid thousands of dollars to sign their names and smile at the people who want nothing more than a polite 'hello' from someone they probably grew up admiring. It may not be fun but it ain't exactly coal mining...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-13-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:19 PM
Bob McLean

I saw Gibson pitch a game against the Padres in the early seventies and he pitched a complete game 9-4 win. He struck out 10, gave up ten hits, but hit a three run homer himself.

To cap it off a fast Padre hit a high hopper between the mound and second base. Gibson leaped in the air and with his back to first fired backhanded to first and beat the runner by a half step. Very Globetrotter like play.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:40 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
I saw Gibson pitch a game against the Padres in the early seventies and he pitched a complete game 9-4 win. He struck out 10, gave up ten hits, but hit a three run homer himself.

To cap it off a fast Padre hit a high hopper between the mound and second base. Gibson leaped in the air and with his back to first fired backhanded to first and beat the runner by a half step. Very Globetrotter like play.
The single A Pudres? Who'd a thunk? The more they change, the more they remain the same. Today, Kimbrel for four magic beans from Bean Town. Call it what is: a salary dump a la Tom Werner's fire sale. Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. Outrage overcame me.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:37 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Fun Fact: Gibson has more complete games than he does wins!

255 complete games and 251 wins
Old 11-14-2015, 01:44 PM
Ed I.vey

He walked me intentionally.
What a chicken.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
What a chicken.
Can you blame him?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-14-2015, 09:49 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
What a chicken.
He should have thrown at your head!
Old 11-15-2015, 01:00 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
The single A Pudres? Who'd a thunk? The more they change, the more they remain the same. Today, Kimbrel for four magic beans from Bean Town. Call it what is: a salary dump a la Tom Werner's fire sale. Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. Outrage overcame me.
Sorry man, I remember watching Tony Gwynn get his 2000th hit back in about 1993. Longest standing ovation I have ever witnessed in person at a ballpark. He was one of my favorite non Cardinals.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well, yes and no.

Yes, Gibson and many others went through some unfair BS, and yes they were all financially exploited, but this is decades later and they are very well paid to be public personalities at events and shows. They don't have to be buddy-buddy with fans on the street if that's not in their natures, but in the context of an event where the players are providing a fee for service, they need to be professionals about it. If not being rude to kids and being polite to the customers and reasonable about their requests as to how you perform that service for which they are paying is just too taxing a way to earn several thousand dollars a day, stay home. Don't deign to work at something that most people would love to work at.
Well said.

My current boss has an amazing ability to not only be friendly to the public no matter the situation, but his "photo face" is exactly the same whether it's 5 am or 5 pm and believe me, at 5 am, there is considerable effort involved, but as he has said to me "it's part of the gig I signed up for".

I have worked for a lot of people who would disagree with that last part, and to be honest, I have mixed emotions as to if being nice all the time is part of the gig, but it certainly makes for happy fans.

Doug
Old 11-15-2015, 04:21 PM
W
W@de Wo.lter

Got this 11x14 signed in person last year. Bob was very nice to me and especially my 11 year old daughter.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:46 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzie22 View Post
Got this 11x14 signed in person last year. Bob was very nice to me and especially my 11 year old daughter.

Beautiful picture and signature!