NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Default What to do with older Mastro and REA auction catalogs?

I've got maybe 50 - 75 older auction catalogs from Mastro and REA. They're in storage right now and I need to clear them out. Any ideas on what to do with these? I'd like to keep a few but don't need that many .
Old 11-05-2015, 10:17 AM
pete ullman

i have kept a few auction catalogs over the years...but most I just recycle. some here offer to send them to other collectors. it'd be kinda cool to have a "library" of older auction catalogs somewhere!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i have kept a few auction catalogs over the years...but most I just recycle. some here offer to send them to other collectors. it'd be kinda cool to have a "library" of older auction catalogs somewhere!
Don't think they can be recycled because they're books, and the local library probably wouldn't want them.

I've considered offering to send them to other collectors but I think they'd be expensive to ship. They'd have to go Priority Mail based on their weight, so whoever is receiving them would have to cover that.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:38 AM
pete ullman

ya...what I meant is recycle them in the circular file!!!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
Don't think they can be recycled because they're books, and the local library probably wouldn't want them.

I've considered offering to send them to other collectors but I think they'd be expensive to ship. They'd have to go Priority Mail based on their weight, so whoever is receiving them would have to cover that.
If they are books can't you ship book rate?
Old 11-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Ed McCollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If they are books can't you ship book rate?
Afraid not. Tried that a couple weeks ago and was a bit to honest or transparent with the postal folks. If a price is listed for any item, even if it is a starting bid point, it is no longer a book, but a catalog. I argued, they busted open the package, and deemed it a catalog that does not qualify for book rate.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:48 AM
pete ullman

ed...i've never had a problem shipping "books" this way. I'd think the box would be so heavy they would not question it?
Old 11-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Steve Liskey

I've shipped book via USPS Media Mail with no problem. Don't know if that's the same as 'book rate'.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I was wondering the same question, I got my AH books from the last 2-3 yrs it seems, and from like 8 AHs, and they weigh a TON!!!! Thought it be a good idea for bonfires for when my neighbor has a bunch of kids, i assume for boyscouts.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:45 PM

I create files with pages from the catalogues for items I either won, have a similar item, think I might acquire in the future, wish I could get, or have a historical especially well researched description of an area that interests me. You can track specific items, get a feel for rarity and follow value changes. I also keep catalogues that are about a single subject or are histoically important in their own right, very subjective. Some catalogues have excellent essays about a person, era or subject, that are well worth keeping. I am usually opposed to extracting pages from books, but make an exception for catalogues. You will also enjoy going thru them again to pull out a few pages. Just remember to date and annotate them. When you have done all that, ditch them.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Scott S

Is that true - these catalogs can't be recycled? I've been tossing the auction catalogs in the recycling bins for years. Aren't they just like any other paper or magazine which would go in the recycling bin?
Old 11-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Dan Bretta

Ever wondered why all your auction catalogs are mailed to you via priority? Because they can't be mailed via media mail. The auction houses would save thousands of dollars on every auction if they could use media mail.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Max Weder

I've got a ton here in Vancouver. If anybody wants to drop by and pick some up, let me know.

Canada has no media rate, so they are about $18 each to ship.

Max
Old 11-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Al Richter

Default Post Office

Ed---Just curious, did they ask for your permission before "busting " it out ?

What about something like SCD, either the catalog or the the publication. I assume a price guide is not a price list, but what if there is there is advertising with prices in the ads within the publication ?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Is that true - these catalogs can't be recycled? I've been tossing the auction catalogs in the recycling bins for years. Aren't they just like any other paper or magazine which would go in the recycling bin?
I just take them to the recycle bin in town, they never come back. You can recycle.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Bob Lemke

As a periodical, SCD is mailed via 2nd Class Mail. It's a special category t encourage dissemination of newspapers, magazines, etc.

There is a lot of red tape to acquiring a 2nd Class mailing permit, but the postage break is (or at least used to be) substantial. It also used to be the postal norm that 2nd Class mail traveled about the same speed at 1st Class.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 11-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Ed McCollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

What about something like SCD, either the catalog or the the publication. I assume a price guide is not a price list, but what if there is there is advertising with prices in the ads within the publication ?
As I said, I was too honest with the Post Office.

When I told them I wanted to mail it book rate, they asked what was in it. I responded old auction catalogs. "Well, it has prices in it, so it isn't a book," was the response. But those are only suggestions or starting points, nothing in those books sold for what was listed as a price. "Well, you'll have to prove that." How can I prove that, I don't have a list of realized prices with me. "May I look at the items? (meaning the books)" Sure. "No, this is a catalog. Nothing but items to buy and a required price. This has to go priority mail.”

It went from being a $4 charge to more than $15.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Ed McCollum

But at least they didn't charge me for a second Priority box large enough for the three catalogs. They charged for the first one, because is was larger than an envelope. But since they are the ones who opened it, they gave the second box for free, but I still had to repack it while at the P.O.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1105151655_HDR_resized.jpg (79.2 KB, 355 views)
Old 11-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Robert A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

No, they don't ask permission. I ship records frequently and they've been opened many times by the Post Office. If there's something else in there besides what qualifies as media mail, then they'll charge you or the person who receives the package the extra postage.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:42 PM
ThreadKiller

Default ...

re: Rob D.

Hoarder!!!!! (I'll STFU now - guilty as well - looks like MY office.)

Last edited by FourStrikes; 11-05-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:45 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post

The library is at robs house
Old 11-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
But at least they didn't charge me for a second Priority box large enough for the three catalogs. They charged for the first one, because is was larger than an envelope. But since they are the ones who opened it, they gave the second box for free, but I still had to repack it while at the P.O.
Your post office charges for priority boxes?
Old 11-05-2015, 06:27 PM

I cut out the pictures of the cards & put them in plastic sheets and/or top loaders. Best collection of vintage baseball cards on earth.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Sarcasm maybe? Actually sounds like they made a mistake with that issue so they compensated him with the one mailing for free.

Last edited by Leon; 11-07-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Curt

I'm sure there are collectors who would want the catalogs with a specific player featured, especially on the cover. There are plenty of player collectors who would want them if even the slightest glimpse of their player is on the cover and some who might even want them if their player is mentioned or photographed within.

I only request them periodically and then they will come for a while and I suspect after they receive no bids from me for a certain period, they stop mailing them out and I am dropped from the list. I might have a dozen or so, some having great covers while others just show a random selection of collectibles on the cover.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:43 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I'm sure there are collectors who would want the catalogs with a specific player featured, especially on the cover. There are plenty of player collectors who would want them if even the slightest glimpse of their player is on the cover and some who might even want them if their player is mentioned or photographed within.
I'm the type of collector that mrmopar mentioned above. I really like to collect books, magazines, programs, and even auction catalogs covers w/Brooks pictured (on the front or back). Just makes for a cool display around the room like on a coffee table. I have a few scattered here and there. The new Heritage Auction catalog is an awesome addition to the room.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:22 PM

Another option for some:

Find a drop box to donate your books to BetterWorldBooks
Old 11-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Val Kehl

I once had a pile of auction catalogs that resembled Rob's pile, but I put them all in the recycle bin (at my wife's "encouragement") a few years ago. I no longer keep them, with ONE exception, and I'm sure that Leon can guess what this ONE exception is - I wrote all of the final auction prices in it and plan to keep it until I get too old to collect any longer!
Val
Old 11-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Thanks for the link. That might be an option for me as there's one on the same street as my local card shop.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post

Yup, my stack is very close to that .
Old 11-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Rob

My stack is about 4 feet high. Tried to pull out one towards the bottom the other day. It wasn't happening.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Todd

Default Old catalogs...

Made this 4 years ago. Cut out catalog pics and made a poster - sprayed on shellac - and framed it. Here it is hanging in my office at work:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseball poster.jpg (75.4 KB, 186 views)
Old 11-11-2015, 11:22 AM
David M.

That looks great! I wouldn't have thought of that.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Mike

Great Idea looks amazing, have about 50 books will make a poster over the winter.
mike
Old 11-13-2015, 05:10 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I don't know if they still do, but the USPS did issue priority mail envelopes and Express Mail envelopes with the postage pre-printed on them.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:15 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
If a price is listed for any item, even if it is a starting bid point, it is no longer a book, but a catalog. I argued, they busted open the package, and deemed it a catalog that does not qualify for book rate.
Stamp collectors have had the same problem mailing copies of the Scott Postage Stamp Catalogue, which actually has "catalogue" as part of its name.

Explanations that it's a reference book, and not an actual list of items for sale, have fallen on deaf ears.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
I just take them to the recycle bin in town, they never come back. You can recycle.

Joe
+1. Same here
Old 11-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Recycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
+1. Same here
I am one of the few on my street that pays to have recycling picked up. It's a nominal fee and takes a few minutes more work but recycling is good. And the AH catalogs recycle as well as the rest of the stuff. And many times they are the heaviest items too!!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am one of the few on my street that pays to have recycling picked up. It's a nominal fee and takes a few minutes more work but recycling is good. And the AH catalogs recycle as well as the rest of the stuff. And many times they are the heaviest items too!!

How much money do you think a years worth of AH Catalogs would fetch? Thats actually a really good idea, but some of the old AH catalogs might be worth something in years to come! I love my old Sloat catalogs along with Lipset.