NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Craig

Default What if.....

I've often wondered about this and would be interested in the thoughts of others on the forum.

What if all the stuff that you have collected over the years was now gone (don't be upset - mine too) and, in addition, you could no longer collect anything related to sports (cards, autographs, equipment, programs, photos, etc).

What would you now collect? Are there other areas that have interested you in the past but, for whatever reason, have never pursued?

For me, with my love of the photographic image, I can easily see myself switching to subject matter other than baseball although what that would be is not clear at the moment. On the other hand, areas that I could research and appreciate from a historical perspective, perhaps someone like Lincoln or something like the Civil War would also be appealing.

What interests me most about this question is the fundamental nature of collecting. Can the passion for the acquisition of items in one area be easily transfered to another or are there limits? I realize the answer to my question is entirely dependent on the individual - which is why I would value others opinions.

Thanks,

Craig
Old 07-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Steve Freedman

Stamps, coins or paper money. The collecting gene runs very strongly in my family and it's difficult to suppress.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I would probably collect type coins .
Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Steve Freedman

Before last years nationals I sold my coin type collection to buy type baseball cards.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Brad

I would collect more antique toys. I have actually had a few small "finds" over the years that have been fun (and in some cases profitable, although that's not why I buy them).

With baseball cards, I've always collected sets and players that I really like and that look nice, and I think that's why I dabble a little bit in old toys and games - they're cool, they look great and they take me back to a good time in my childhood, or to something that previous generations enjoyed.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Craig

Thanks guys, this is interesting. Steve's collecting interests appear to have been formulated, at least in part, by his family's influences growing up. Brad's interests in toys and games take him back to his childhood - a common theme in collecting.

Although there are many reasons for collecting (probably as many as the individuals doing the collecting) at least for sports-related stuff it seems some of the most common are:

1. Relive childhood memories
2. Acquire items that one enjoyed growing up
3. Acquire items that one wanted but could not afford
4. Building a shrine to one's hero or team
5. Simply for the love of the game and to appreciate, and perhaps uncover, additional historical significance
6. The tenacity to complete a set or series

Can you think of any additional reasons for collecting sports-related items and , if you were to collect in other areas, would the same reasons apply?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

roman coins, kind of fun to hold coins almost 2000 years old.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Kevin O'Gara

I collected antique phonographs. Outside horn oak phonos. Still love em. Had about 15. Still have 3 until I found my first old bat in my wifes grandmothers garage.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:47 PM
$teve O.

Old drag racing stuff.Vintage speed equipment,old hot rod magazines,old drag racing programs,old signs,anything to do with pre '70's drag racing.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:48 PM

Pix of dead presidents
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50dollar.jpg (80.0 KB, 242 views)
Old 07-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I am a volunteer firefighter, so I would focus on ephemera related to firefighting.

Jeff
Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Disneyana, Vintage Toys, Beatles memorabilia would be my top 3 fall-backs.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Dan Brown

Paper money and coins, beer caps, old candy wrappers and without sports...dust!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Pix of dead presidents
Now that's a category, David, I had not thought of - but might join!
Old 07-13-2012, 05:43 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Vintage Rock albums. Guitars.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

dead president pix, yes,

and ben franklin and alexander hamilton would do too. salmon p. chase would be cool too. but those out of circulation.

Last edited by travrosty; 07-13-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Rawn Hill

Ex-wives, more than likely.

Rawn
Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Bob Pomilla

Though I sold 'em off years ago, I once collected (mostly) 1950's rhythm and blues vocal group records. Some blues, some single artists, but mostly groups.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:17 AM
J.O.N

Bottles are cool. And books.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:09 AM
qualitycards

comic books, advertising displays, Gettysburg memorabilia, Breweriana, coins, stamps, vintage toys, ornate stock certifs....I'd find something to fill the void
Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Keith Willis

Default Loomis Gang

Since I live in Madison County in Central NY , I would have to say I would
collect any and all things related to The infamous Loomis Gang.

They are very well known to have committed many dirty deeds in this
area.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:49 AM
pariah1107

I would have to augment my other collecting interests; Newspapers, Coins, and my favorite pastime, collecting vinyl. Similar to collecting cards... a person has to search through boxes of A-ha, and Flock of Seagulls albums to find that rare slab of sound. Collecting records tends to have some focus, usually by genre.

My Vintage Vinyl interest: No, not 16 or 78 RPM slabs... but obscure 60's psychedelia (13th Floor Elevators, The Count Five, etc.), and 70's punk rock (Radio Birdman, The Wipers, Dead Boys, etc). I feel bad for those left with the stacks and stacks of wax after I'm gone but just "put the headphones on and drop the moon-rock needle".
Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrigansghost View Post
Ex-wives, more than likely.

Rawn
If I am not careful, I might start this collection WHILE collecting cards.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Default Collect

I would collect Civil War era musical instruments. I once had one given to me by my great Aunt who lived near Chambersburg PA around 50 years ago. It turned out to be a "one of a kind"--made by Clem and Bros. in PA around 1851--has since been restored and has currently been played in a Civil War reenactment band for the last 20 years....the money I received for letting it go started me in sports collectibles. I have been lucky enough to play it a couple of times since it was fixed but still feel it has found a good home.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I already collect nonsport Exhibit cards and Academy Awards tickets and memorabilia, so I'd shift to those areas.

The transition would not be without its aesthetic benefits

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-15-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Banned

Yakima Canutt = awesome
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM

Great thread Craig. I started a similar one a few years ago, and the ironic thing is I said something like - I always said if I didn't collect Baseball Memorabilia, then it would be The Beatles.

And that was the exact moment I decided to switch gears, and try and learn as much as I could about Beatlemania. I'll tell you what, Beatles collectors can be found worldwide. That pull that the Fab Four had on the world's teenagers, has only gotten stronger. Their passion is unmatched in anything I've ever seen, that is certain.

This was my first big score. An original 1964 Press Package that was only given out to members of the Press the day after the Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. The Press conference was held at the Waldorf Astoria.

The 8 x 10 TYPE 1 photograph that was included in the Press Packet was none other than the Dezo Hoffman masterpiece that has since become the definitive image of the Fab Four.

And... I've never looked back, as I sold almost all of my Baseball memorabilia and a good portion of my Photographs, all with no regrets.

Beatles1964PressPackage5.jpgBeatles1964PressPackage2.jpg

Beatles1964PressPackage3.jpgBeatles1964PressPackage4.jpg

Beatles1964PressPackage1.jpg
Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Craig

Thanks Guys. It seems that for most of us the transition to other areas of collecting would not be a problem. In a few cases, as some of you have pointed out, this is already the case, and in others, similar reasons for collecting sports-related stuff can easily be fulfilled in other areas.

I guess this is not surprising considering the fact that we are all exposed to a variety of collecting areas and our interests can shift with age. To me this suggests that although what we are passionate about and collect may vary the underlying common thread for all of us is the treasure hunt and ultimately the find.

By the way Adam, that movie stamp picture of Lon Chaney would be something that would keep me up at night - as would the two exhibit cards below it, although for completely different reasons.

Craig
Old 07-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Great thread Craig. I started a similar one a few years ago, and the ironic thing is I said something like - I always said if I didn't collect Baseball Memorabilia, then it would be The Beatles.

And that was the exact moment I decided to switch gears, and try and learn as much as I could about Beatlemania. I'll tell you what, Beatles collectors can be found worldwide. That pull that the Fab Four had on the world's teenagers, has only gotten stronger. Their passion is unmatched in anything I've ever seen, that is certain.

This was my first big score. An original 1964 Press Package that was only given out to members of the Press the day after the Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. The Press conference was held at the Waldorf Astoria.

The 8 x 10 TYPE 1 photograph that was included in the Press Packet was none other than the Dezo Hoffman masterpiece that has since become the definitive image of the Fab Four.

And... I've never looked back, as I sold almost all of my Baseball memorabilia and a good portion of my Photographs, all with no regrets.

Attachment 68980Attachment 68981

Attachment 68982Attachment 68983

Attachment 68984
Thanks Jimmy. I guess you are a perfect example of how one's interests can evolve over time and be reflected in their collecting. That 1964 Press Packet is wonderful and the Hoffman Type 1 - out of this world!!! The terrific, critical eye that you demonstrated in your baseball collection obviously continues to serve you well in your new pursuit.

One thing I know for sure is that other Fab Four collectors should be put on notice because , just as you did with your baseball and photo collection, I am certain that another world class collection is in the making!!!!

Continued good luck in finding those special pieces.

Craig