NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Default Use the smiley face

Posted By: jay behrens

There seems to have been a few posts recently that were made in jest but taken the wrong way by the intended targets. The thing that all these posts have in common is that the poster did not use a smiley face or anything else to indicate that it was meant as a joke.

The written format is not a good format for conveying tonal inflection, facial expression and other indicators that in normal conversation would clue people in that you are kidding. This is why emoticons (smiley faces, etc) were developed. This way, you can convey a sense of emotion without spelling it out.

I'd strongly suggest that anyone that wants to make a post that is meant as a joke or friendly jab at someone, they need to place a smiley face or something else at the end of the post so people know you are kidding.

I use them all the time and rarely has anyone ever confused a joking post of mine as a serious one. Usually, those that make the mistake aren't familair with how to use emoticons. If you are going to be a regular user of internet forums, learning about and how to use emoticons is an absolute must.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I agree with Jay- it is very easy to not get someone's tone over email/message board.
The little smileys are sooooo "chat room" though- but I guess there's no easier alternative.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Great idea Jay.

Here's a good example of using emotocons.

BONDS is a steroid user that needs to be kicked out of baseball!!! Just kidding Jay

Old 10-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Jay the Peacemaker -now Ive seen everything!

Old 10-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I think this smiley face works the best

Old 10-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Administrator

How about "LOL?"

Old 10-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

"here we go again!"

Old 10-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I disagree completely. If someone is wound so tightly that they take offense to my sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek postings, then I feel that I am doing my duty in getting them riled up. There are too many people who are middle-aged collectors of pieces of cardboard that they pay astronomical sums for that take themselves far too seriously. It's a stinking Internet chat board about cardboard and paper! Geez, lighten up folks.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 10-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: klad kalash

If there is an emoticon that can accurately express my hatred of emoticons, I would use it here. My parents and teachers spent a lot of time and energy in teaching me the English language, and using those horrid emoticons seems a betrayal of both the language and the people who taught me how to write a sentence. Writing sarcasm is infinitely trickier than speaking sarcasm, so unless you're really really good at it, the best advice may be this: say what you mean and mean what you say, and screw the emoticons.

For the congenitally sarcastic, this is difficult advice to follow, and they will always get into trouble on message boards.

That said, I love 19th Century cardboard and a love this message board! I lurk every Sunday morning.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator

One of my personal favorites

Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

Jay said "I use them all the time and rarely has anyone ever confused a joking post of mine as a serious one."

Jay, we don't take any of your posts seriously so your little smiley is neither here nor there.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Jay, you sorry SOS.

Edited to remove anonymity

Old 10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I think I'll start to use them, don't want to get on jay's badside.

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 10-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Administrator

yours look dot matrix. hey,send me your e-mail address in Seattle!

Old 10-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I just used a sad & then happy face in another post. I must be an emotional wreck!

Old 10-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

Good idea, an emoticon can be worth a thousand words

Old 10-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator

I am fairly decent writer, but most people today have short attention spans. If you get over verbose, they will start to skim and eventually quit reading. This is why newpapers articles are written in reverse pyramid form. You get the general scope of the subject right away and more and more detail if you care to read on, which most people don't. Hence the reason newspaper articles are written this way.

Using emoticons allows a person to shorten up what they are writing and convey the sense of emotion that they want to get across in a quick and dirty fashion.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator

"I am fairly decent writer"

ok!

Old 10-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator

well, spelling and forgotten words becuase I think faster than I can type are a problem here becuase I am to lazy to spell check or proof read anything I post, but if I have to write something serious I can do very well.

Jay