NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Default Passing of a true legend. RIP Curt

Posted By: Genaro

I thought I leave this artical I had printed when Ted Williams Passed By broadcast legend Curt Gowdy.

My friend, Ted Williams
Never false, never sentimental, Ted Williams walked through his
life a man utterly and totally true unto himself — in the best sense
By Curt Gowdy and Pat Smith

Co-host of ESPN2's
"CITGO's In Search of Flywater"
My friend Ted Williams is gone now, and piece of me has gone with him. During the 14 years I called the Red Sox games, we became good friends and fishing companions. He made great demands on himself — in the field and on the water. When he — or someone around him — did not perform well, his wrath could flow like hot lava.

“ If Ted was a searcher, and he was, then he believed that hitting a baseball or casting a fly was a journey into the sublime realm where the mental and physical worlds became one. But when he tried to apply what many would call his existential, Zen-like methods to the world at large he often came up short. ”
If his language at those moments could be rendered on canvas he would hang in the best galleries in the world. But always he was sorry afterward and ready to make amends. That's what matters, doesn't it? Between the bouts of anger, which became fewer over the years, was a man of extraordinary sensitivity. If he accepted your friendship he took care of it for life, tending it like a constant gardener.

For 50 years, not two weeks went by when we didn't at least talk on the phone.

To be with him at batting practice was like being in the presence of Einstein explaining the theory of relativity. Intense, engaging and brilliant, he was just as insightful about flyfishing for Atlantic salmon or bonefish.

He approached every day as though it were not his last, but his first. Filled with a fresh spirit, he sought new experiences as though they were steps to a higher level of existence. He never lost the enthusiasm he carried as a lonely boy back in San Diego. Emotional maturity came hard for my friend, but you accepted the dark moments in exchange for the brilliant days in his company.

Quite unselfishness

Many people of Boston never understood him while he played. They saw selfishness in his volatility. Ted was about as selfish as Sister Theresa. He was generous to teammates and to kids who didn't have much of a chance. He paid for their education and hospital bills and would have throttled the writer or PR-man that went public about it.

He didn't like being used without his consent. He didn't like phonies any better than, say, Holden Caulfield. He didn't like fawners and sycophants. He didn't like quitters, complainers, sneaks and liars. If those are negatives, then I — and a lot of other people — share Ted's faults.

Doing it right was Ted's credo. Where he usually did it right, perhaps more often than anyone, was in the batter's box, on the casting platform of a flats skiff or in the cockpit of an F-9. He didn't drink or smoke, hated neckties, and loved to talk about the things that interested him, which were many beyond fishing and baseball.

Journey into the sublime

If Ted was a searcher, and he was, then he believed that hitting a baseball or casting a fly was a journey into the sublime realm where the mental and physical worlds became one. Each is a private pursuit, as private as flying a fighter jet over Korea. But when he tried to apply what many would call his existential, Zen-like methods to the world at large he often came up short.

But for all those who knew him, each felt touched by Ted in a private way. We, each of us, felt that we understood him, as perhaps others didn't. He engaged us separately and with an intense interest. Growing up, he was often ignored by his parents. On many nights, he would have to wait on the porch of his modest home until his mother or father returned to let him in.

Well, he's home now with Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio and Izaak Walton — and there should be no end to the discussions.

I will miss that handsome head, that booming laugh and great mind. I will miss, too, those words of cheer and encouragement. Never false, never sentimental, Ted Williams walked through his life a man utterly and totally true unto himself — in the best sense.

Tight lines, folks.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Default Passing of a true legend. RIP Curt

Posted By: BcDaniels

they played portions of radio coverage of Curt all day on a local radio where I live.A truly one of a kind icon of the 70's to me.