NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2020, 05:38 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default Cannibals are coming out because of stocks and virus

Don't know how many out there are experiencing this, but ridiculous offers are abundant on many items....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-21-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:42 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Don't know how many out there are experiencing this, but ridiculous offers are abundant on many items....
They are just as bad as the idiots trying to get several times what they stuff is really worth. Both are easy to ignore.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:42 PM
Fred

What's an example of a ridiculous offer?
Old 03-21-2020, 05:48 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
They are just as bad as the idiots trying to get several times what they stuff is really worth. Both are easy to ignore.
Sorry to hear Bison hunting and ice fishing is slow Ben.....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-21-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:52 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Golly, Ben...you and I is just a bunch of bumpkins...we gotsta get over to GA one of these days and see how thay do it in da South!
Old 03-21-2020, 05:55 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Golly, Ben...you and I is just a bunch of bumpkins...we gotsta get over to GA one of these days and see how thay do it in da South!
Isn't Broke back Mountain in your guy's territory?
Old 03-21-2020, 06:23 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
What's an example of a ridiculous offer?
I have a $249 BIN or Best Offer item I listed on eBay earlier this week - probably should sell for $175 - $200. I got a $10 offer on it yesterday.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I have a $249 BIN or Best Offer item I listed on eBay earlier this week - probably should sell for $175 - $200. I got a $10 offer on it yesterday.
Yep, there you go....
Old 03-21-2020, 06:36 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
I’m sure that was a joke. I doubt the offerer seriously thought you would accept.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:43 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I’m sure that was a joke. I doubt the offerer seriously thought you would accept.
It was an eBay ID with something like 250 feedback, so not a totally newbie. I just declined, but do people have nothing better to do with their time right now than submit offers of 5% of value?
Old 03-21-2020, 09:38 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
You don't set auto-reject on super-low offers?
Old 03-21-2020, 10:14 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Couldn't the exact opposite be said? Since the Apocalypse could very well be at hand, and people don't want anything but staples such as food, water and toilet paper at the moment, wouldn't it be very stupid NOT to offer as little as possible for such a non-essential, bat-shit crazy item like a baseball card in this environment??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:02 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I believe most Non Auction Real Card Sale Prices will come down.

The god stuff won’t be sold, or won’t be sold cheap.....the meh so so stuff they everyone has or is easily available will come down.

Last edited by Johnny630; 03-22-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:55 AM

Opposite (shiny) side of the same coin...I got a seller offer on a card I was watching for 37% off. Never seen one that big before.

Sadly I missed our to another buyer because I was out doing yard work without my phone!
Old 03-22-2020, 08:49 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Couldn't the exact opposite be said? Since the Apocalypse could very well be at hand, and people don't want anything but staples such as food, water and toilet paper at the moment, wouldn't it be very stupid NOT to offer as little as possible for such a non-essential, bat-shit crazy item like a baseball card in this environment??
Right. Suppose the national emergency gets really bad, for a long time. What's that card's intrinsic value? In other words, what's it worth as toilet paper?
Old 03-22-2020, 09:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I can see trying it if you have nothing better to do while stuck at home. I spent yesterday breaking down, cleaning and then rebuilding our range top; I would definitely have enjoyed trolling eBay and making lowball offers way more than that. Though it did make my wife very happy to see me cleaning something instead of buying "more damn cards".

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-22-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:12 AM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
This; is the easiest way to deal with lowballers. Occasionally, I'll look at the auto declines and get a good chuckle.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:16 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Right. Suppose the national emergency gets really bad, for a long time. What's that card's intrinsic value? In other words, what's it worth as toilet paper?
I would wipe my Tuchus with the card but the plastic thingy has MySharona all over it...
Old 03-22-2020, 10:51 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
We’ve had a bull market for over a decade. During this time, 401k and salaries have increased. This, in turn, has increased disposable income for investing or hobby purposes.

Investors and collectors alike have used this disposable income to purchase cards: high-end items for eventual profits, and mid-to-low end items for collecting purposes. This strong demand for cards has sky-rocketed prices.

If this virus continues and we enter an extended recession, 401k values will significantly fall. Moreover, people will lose their jobs. Those that do not have jobs will not have disposable income to spend on cards. Those that do not lose their jobs will save for a rainy day in case they do eventually lose their jobs. They will choose not to spend/invest their disposable income on cards. Cash is king during this period.

The demand for cards will significantly decrease across the board. However, the supply will stay relatively the same. Sure, some will ride it out any pull all their items from eBay, etc. However, those that make a living selling will have no choice but to continue selling. They have bills to pay, and mouths to feed.

Those that lose their jobs will also have bills to pay and mouths to feed. Unemployment insurance benefits only goes so far. To raise funds, these people will eventually sell their cards. They are not going to pay penalties and dip into IRAs and 401ks - or at least what is left of them.

Thus, with demand significantly reduced and supply only slightly reduced, prices will fall. How far is anyone’s guess. I don’t know how many bullets the Fed and government have left in the chamber. They fired a lot of them at the 2008 housing crisis. They have kept this economy propped up for a decade. Money has been cheap. I know the 20s just started, but it feels like the end of the roaring 20s of last century.

This is just a macro view. But, I personally made one last purchase yesterday (a few hundred bucks). I’ve decided to suspend all buying for a while. I suspect others will do the same. Wish everyone good luck during this uncertain time - health and financial wise.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:16 AM
Rob

Quote:
Cash is king during this period.
If they print up 4 Trillion dollars and pass it out, won't we see inflation? Couldn't card prices go up, not so much in value, but keeping up with today's dollars?

About low offers...If I have $200 on a card, and you offer $10, don't I counter at $195? It's just business...Rob
Old 03-22-2020, 12:06 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I can see trying it if you have nothing better to do while stuck at home. I spent yesterday breaking down, cleaning and then rebuilding our range top; I would definitely have enjoyed trolling eBay and making lowball offers way more than that. Though it did make my wife very happy to see me cleaning something instead of buying "more damn cards".
Funny! How's that range-top lookin'? It'll pay off.....at some point...or not
Old 03-22-2020, 12:21 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
We’ve had a bull market for over a decade. During this time, 401k and salaries have increased. This, in turn, has increased disposable income for investing or hobby purposes.

Investors and collectors alike have used this disposable income to purchase cards: high-end items for eventual profits, and mid-to-low end items for collecting purposes. This strong demand for cards has sky-rocketed prices.

If this virus continues and we enter an extended recession, 401k values will significantly fall. Moreover, people will lose their jobs. Those that do not have jobs will not have disposable income to spend on cards. Those that do not lose their jobs will save for a rainy day in case they do eventually lose their jobs. They will choose not to spend/invest their disposable income on cards. Cash is king during this period.

The demand for cards will significantly decrease across the board. However, the supply will stay relatively the same. Sure, some will ride it out any pull all their items from eBay, etc. However, those that make a living selling will have no choice but to continue selling. They have bills to pay, and mouths to feed.

Those that lose their jobs will also have bills to pay and mouths to feed. Unemployment insurance benefits only goes so far. To raise funds, these people will eventually sell their cards. They are not going to pay penalties and dip into IRAs and 401ks - or at least what is left of them.

Thus, with demand significantly reduced and supply only slightly reduced, prices will fall. How far is anyone’s guess. I don’t know how many bullets the Fed and government have left in the chamber. They fired a lot of them at the 2008 housing crisis. They have kept this economy propped up for a decade. Money has been cheap. I know the 20s just started, but it feels like the end of the roaring 20s of last century.

This is just a macro view. But, I personally made one last purchase yesterday (a few hundred bucks). I’ve decided to suspend all buying for a while. I suspect others will do the same. Wish everyone good luck during this uncertain time - health and financial wise.
+1 spot on
Old 03-22-2020, 01:36 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
Funny! How's that range-top lookin'? It'll pay off.....at some point...or not
It is so clean you could cook on it! Works a lot better too since I got all of the accumulated gunk off the igniters and leads.

Or not...
Old 03-22-2020, 01:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is all about your timeline. Assuming you can isolate successfully and wait for a vaccine or viable treatment to emerge, the economy will eventually sputter back to life.

Or not...
Old 03-22-2020, 01:56 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
If they print up 4 Trillion dollars and pass it out, won't we see inflation? Couldn't card prices go up, not so much in value, but keeping up with today's dollars?

About low offers...If I have $200 on a card, and you offer $10, don't I counter at $195? It's just business...Rob
Do the penny counter at $199.99.

They will get the picture.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:35 PM

+1.

Quote:

Old 03-22-2020, 04:23 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
I absolutely do that!!!
Old 03-22-2020, 06:26 PM

This is anecdotal and specific to T206. I have sold cards at full list and received reasonable offers since this black swan started (of course my prices are pretty reasonable to start with). No price deterioration at all.

Last edited by sreader3; 03-22-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:32 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
This is anecdotal and specific to T206. I have sold cards at full list and received reasonable offers since this black swan started (of course my prices are pretty reasonable to start with). No price deterioration at all.
Same thing I've seen in ebay auctions across the world of post war vintage. You wouldn't even know anything was going on
Old 03-23-2020, 08:46 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

Lol, this made me chuckle. We might be married to the same woman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk