NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2006, 04:58 AM
Administrator

Default How long did you lurk before you began posting?

Posted By: identify7

It was about 3 months for me.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

and then it was in the wrong place and Leon got all over me

Old 03-31-2006, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Yes, Leon is brutal. Welcome to Stalag54.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike McGrail

I am still lurking!!!

Old 03-31-2006, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob NYC

I was supposed to lurk first?

Old 03-31-2006, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I suppose a day or so.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Gil made up for lost time once he started.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

As I recall Bill Cornell helped me with my first post looking for scans of Frankfort ballplayers in the T210 series. Didn't take long after that to feel comfortable posting --I have never gone OT because I don't want to test the patience of our leader but it is sometimes fun to watch someone post a request for information about their 1955 Dale Long Topps card--kind of like waitng for the end of one of those police chases on a California Freeway when the form members decend on the poster.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

About a month. I went from having zero knowledge to an obsession in no time flat.

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 03-31-2006, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RickHastings

Still lurking and seldom contribute. I enjoy very much reading about pre-war, because that is where my interests are, but it
took me a few months before I responded to anything for fear of sounding stupid. Still am not real confident that I have much constructive to contribute. I especially enjoy the scans, but I am not all that computer savy and even when I had a card to contribute, I had to send it to someone on the forum's e-mail for them to post it. YOu don't want to do that too often for fear of abusing someones good nature
I have never seen so many knowlegable old cardboard buffs in my life and am considered odd by most non-collectors for my interest in pre-war cards, but it is nice to see others with similar interests.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I got a BIIIIG mouth!

Old 03-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Lurk? What's that? I think I got the title Dunderhead within a week of first posting.

Jay

WOW upsidedown is MOM. Mom upsidedown is what dad wants to see.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I think maybe about a half an hour of reading some of the posts here before I asked my question....I don't even remember what it was now though. I do remember getting swept up very quickly in the OT posts about the Joe DiMaggio and Ty Cobb bats that had questionable provenance.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Leon

When Elliot formed this board I was the 2nd (Elliot said he posted first and I won't argue) person to post on it. BTW, when I took over the board about a year ago there were a few handfuls of folks that felt very alienated, considering the direction we were going back to. I am very happy that most, if not all of those folks, including Daniel (Hi Dan) have hung around. AND as frequent contributors he and Jamie and others can certainly do an occasional O/T about memoribilia, photo's etc....and I think we have been understanding of feelings and sentiments. It was never my intention to piss people off but it was the intention to become more focused, which we have.... So far so good.......

Old 03-31-2006, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I waited all of about 10 minutes before my first post...I tended to do my lurking elsewhere (dark alleys, behind the gas station, girl's locker rooms, etc.)

Joshua

Old 03-31-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I lurked for about two hours.....and then....immediately to Leon's woodshed!

Rules? There are rules?

Old 03-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Hey Leon, I guess I am the perfect example of why one should lurk for a while before posting....I showed up and jumped in right away on the OT posts. In my somewhat feeble defense though the board seemed to me to be half memorabilia and half card discussion, but it's still my own fault though because I never read the FAQ before posting.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

About three months.
JimB

Old 03-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Lurked for about a month. My first post was to ask how to pronounce "Lajoie." That was 2-1/2 years ago. Since then have learned a ton by reading the board but am not able to weigh in with much knowledge of the nouances of sets I've barely heard of. Still consider myself a lurker most of the time but have established a nice connection with various fellows from whom I have purchased cards or otherwise communicated with. I don't know of any other place in cyberspace or the real world where you can meet up in such a thriving community of Old Cardboard Wingnuts. Certainly not in Honolulu. I suppose I could always look up ol' Roy Huff down in Waikiki but somehow I don't think it would be the same.
So how do you pronounce "Kiki" Cuyler? I always thought it was "key-key" but I have a notion that it is actually "kye-kye" as in rhymes with "guy."

Old 03-31-2006, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

It took a day of reading on the fullcount board and then started asking novice questions sbout T206s and T202s. That is how I began gaining the knowledge I have on the 2 sets. I have taken my lumps like I think most everyone at one time has, but I am never afraid to ask a question if I feel I need an answer.

The people that frequent the board as a whole as great people and willing to pass their knowledge. The ones that seemed to be disruptive (except maybe my brother ) always tend to move on.

If anyone is afraid to post feel free to send me an email and I will see if I can help.

Bowlingshoegiverouterguy,

Lee

Old 03-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

over a year.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

a couple of months. i was a frequent poster on the CU boards...i then realized that 80% of the posts is useless drivel (you think O/T posts are bad here...take a look at the CU boards). I then switched over here. The majority of my collection is post war...but, i do collect HOF rookies...and HOF T206s....so, i get my prewar fix here.

Old 03-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...but I have no memory of how I stumbled onto the Board or why.

When I first posted, I was very pro-PSA and very opinionated. I only had about 80 T206 cards, and 15-20 of them were graded, all by PSA. Almost immediately, I got into fights with the two Behrens brothers -- at one point confusing one for the other -- and some guy named MW, who used to post a lot more than he does, but I think still lurks and posts occasionally.

While I still believe that some of my initial points about graded cards ring true (the one I defended most vociferously, if I recall, was that we'll never be able to predict what card grading companies will be most respected in 2 to 5 to 10 to 50 years from now, and thus there may one day be a reason to switch all cards out of one's preferred grading companies), I opened my mind to the possibility that SGC may actually be better than PSA for my collection. And, it didn't take long for me to start to see why. Four or so years later, I'm all about SGC and really dislike PSA -- and I crossed all of my cards over to SGC, at the time about 40-50 of them. But, if SGC starts to screw up as much and as inappropriately as PSA has, then who knows, I may have to switch them all to GAI!

Old 03-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

On the full count board, until one day I got real frustrated with some of the in fighting and just put up a plea for information.

Don't remember how long when it moved to Network 54, but under Leon's guidance I've come out of my shell a bit

Rich

Old 03-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

Lurked for about 3 years. Still mostly lurk. Tough crowd here at the beginning, especially on the late nite posts.

Old 03-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Adkins

It was about 6 months for me and I still don't post very often. Love to read the board and on occasion I might chime in to a discussion or two, mostly I just sit back and absorb.

--Shawn

Old 03-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I didn't start posting or reading regularly until the pop-ups went away...

Old 03-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Administrator

David, Cuyler's nickname is pronounced "Kuy Kuy" as in rhymes with Guy..This is what I found at Baseball library.com: "Cuyler was called "Cuy" by his school teammates. It was while winning the MVP title of the Southern Association with Nashville in 1923 that he acquired the euphonious Kiki nickname. Fans heard the players shout for him to take the ball when he rushed in a short fly. The shortstop would yell, "Cuy," and the second baseman would echo the call. In the pressbox the writers turned this into "Kiki." Older fans wince to hear him called "Keekee."

Old 03-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

I posted the first day I found the board, after i spent about 4 hours reading through old posts. Saw that there was an eclectic bunch of folks with a similar passion and appreciation for historic items; sounded like me, so i figured i'd fit in. I'm not always sure i've got much to offer, and i certainly get much more than i can give, but everyone is great.

I'm still awed by the great collections and items that people share, and love the whole research aspect of the hobby. Any place i feel i can learn is a place i come back to. I come to this forum more than any other that i'm a member of.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Daniel, thank you very much for the straight dope on the pronunciation. I don't recollect ever hearing it said aloud so mistakenly went with "keekee" all these years.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Brian, I think we can thank Leon for the pop-ups not being around.

Elliot was the moderator when I started lurking. I started posting under a different moniker after about a week of lurking. I've stuck with this name for at least the past year or two. It was a great board then and it still is the best board out there for the subject matter. If the topic doesn't interest me I just don't bother reading it.

(Thanks Fred, but the thanks really goes to Bill C. ...he is the one that started the "no pop ups" by paying for a premium site...I've just continued the tradition...) leon

Old 03-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Bill is actually the person that was responsible for removing the pop-up ads, when he took over as forum owner. I had stubbornly refused to believe that anybody who read the board hadn't installed a pop-up blocker program on their computer. Just think, without Bill, Brian wouldn't be posting and we wouldn't have a 1000 post thread about Barry Bonds.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ChuckkieB

I stumbled on to this board about two years ago, and other than the occasional question or comment, I would still consider myself a full time lurker. I've been into vintage card collecting only a short while, and I have found this place to be an incredible resource, not to mention a place wher I can regularly view great cards thanks to the very many accomodating and generous collectors that are a part of this community.

Is it actually possible to be addicted to a message board?

CB

Old 03-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Several months. I don't even remember the thread that finally got me to post something.

Since then, I've contributed opinions, points of view, maybe different slants, and the occasional smart ass comment. I am very, very pointedly aware of the fact that I have yet to contribute a single shred of knowledge.

The primary thing I gain from this board is knowledge and information. So believe me, some day ... one of these days ... lol ... there will come a time when I can post some piece of actual information or data that is helpful or maybe even largely unknown. At the risk of labeling myself as a geek ("geek" being a secondary label - of course I would never relinquish "wingnut" as primary), the first time I finally contribute information, I will be pretty proud of that!

Joann

From the Shy and Reclusive Series. !

(Todd S - I am working on Whimsical! lol)

Old 03-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Well ive drifted to lurking now but started the first day i found the fullcount board.I was also the 3rd post on this forum after Elliot(supposedly) and Leon.

The real reason im posting now tho is because of Kiki Cuyler's nickname.He actually got that name because he had a stuttering problem.It wasnt a nickname that would be accepted today. His name was actually pronounced like it was spelled Cuycuycuyler, or as you probably figured out,like someone with a stuttering problem would pronounce just his last name.

The other nickname thats pronounced wrong more often than not is Pud Galvin,its pronounced so it rhymes with "good" not "dud". Ive heard it said he got the name because he turned batters legs to "pud"ding but have read a quote directly from him that it was a name his grandmother gave him as a small child because of his love for pudding

Old 03-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Administrator

John, I originally posted that he had a stuttering problem, but thought I better double check myself and found the story on baseball library.com that I posted up above....hmmmm...Now I'm going to have to do some more digging.

After further delving into this it seems that there are numerous websites out there that mention both versions about equally so I'm not sure what to believe. The stuttering version just sounds like urban legend type of stuff to me...The question is where did Baseball Library.com come up with their version?

Old 03-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I believe I posted the first minute I was shown the old FullCount Board. I dont remember what year but its been a quite few years now.

I had to show people what I found on eBay which was news to me (and many others at the time). It was that old 1913 Childs Notebook with the E95 and E96 cards printed on cover. Before that those cards were called E95 and E96 "Proofs". I remember all the flack I got by calling them "cards". Those were the days!

Frank

Old 03-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

took me about 15 minutes. posted non-stop for awhile, now I'm a lurker. so i guess i did things a little backwards. that recent post on this thread about lajoie's pronunciation made me think of something...anyone know how to pronounce HOF Class of '86 Bobby Doerr's name? is it like "door"? He played for the BoSox (2B) form '37-'51.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Doerr is pronounced Dough - er.