NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2012, 07:27 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Originally Posted by birdman42
Second, would I rather spend $500 to have a pile of cards graded, or to buy more cards? Duh.

That says it all.

not using the $500 for grading, you heirs will lose thousands in potential profits, rather short sighted, but I see the point.
I'm a collector, not a dealer. They can be slabbed if/when they are sold. I keep detailed notes on every item in my collection. My heirs would have all the information they would ever need to conduct a fully-informed sale. Nothing shortsighted about it.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 06-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman42 View Post

Question for those among us who prefer that their cards breathe freely: Are your convictions so strong that you'll insist that the cards be sold unslabbed after you're gone?

Heck no! I just choose to enjoy my collection raw while I own it, whenever I decide to sell something I have it graded. That's just dumb to leave money on the table.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default My cards

I'm a VERY insignificant collector, but probably not out of the ordinary. I have a complete T205 set (208 cards), with only one graded card (Cicotte). My guess is that there are many collectors with similar numbers to that...

Take Care,
Geno
Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Pete Costanzo

Default Graded/ungraded

I think there are a lot of cards still ungraded. But, anyone trying to guess percentages is silly. I have some raw cards, but almost all of mine are graded. I think the card companies do a great job, and I don't have to question the authenticity or damaging them. I have mostly caramels, and they're prone to chipping. So, enjoying them in a solid holder is my personal preference. Also, I think it would be unwise to buy or sell any cards that have significant value ungraded, unless you really know the provenance of the card.

Last edited by pcoz; 06-15-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman42 View Post
Question for those among us who prefer that their cards breathe freely: Are your convictions so strong that you'll insist that the cards be sold unslabbed after you're gone?
Ah, to have "convictions so strong that you'll insist that the cards be sold unslabbed after you're gone" would be a neat trick to pull off. Of course, if I could make demands on the living after I died I would be a ghost, zombie or vampire at the time so the executor of my estate would likely be too busy driving a stake through my heart and cutting off my head or otherwise trying to put me back in the grave to pay much attention to my comments about my cards.

But seriously, isn't your whole premise a silly one? Do you really expect anyone to write into their wills a prohibition on their executors slabbing their cards for resale, because that's the only way it would happen. I've seen some pretty specific estate plans but never anything as asinine as that.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-16-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Kyle C.

My Addie Joss/Pitching/Red Hindu Back ....

1. None Graded by PSA
2. None Graded by SGC

This is assuming their Population Reports are correct. None are showing ever graded by either grading company.

There is a picture of it on another thread currently ... post #22:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=152492&page=3
Old 06-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleTexas View Post
My Addie Joss/Pitching/Red Hindu Back ....

1. None Graded by PSA
2. None Graded by SGC

This is assuming their Population Reports are correct. None are showing ever graded by either grading company.

There is a picture of it on another thread currently ... post #22:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=152492&page=3
Do you need help selling it?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Originally Posted by birdman42
Second, would I rather spend $500 to have a pile of cards graded, or to buy more cards? Duh.

That says it all.

not using the $500 for grading, you heirs will lose thousands in potential profits, rather short sighted, but I see the point.
I've observed that in general, the difference in realized sales of graded vs non-graded is significant with the stars and high value cards. When you start to get into "commons" the price difference shrinks to almost nothing, and in many cases you would lose money in the end.

I'm working on a T205 set in the VG range. Graded commons in PSA 3 or SGC 40 sell on average for the same price as a raw card that I determine to be VG ($35-$45). If I were to spend $10 to get that raw card graded, I would actually lose money on the deal.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 AM

Default Back to original question ...

May I inquire in a very polite and friendly manner - what are you best guesstimate (however silly) on approx ungraded pops on the 5 random high end cards I listed earlier in this thread (qualify for PSA 5 or higher grades). For 1915 CJ Matty, M101 Cobb, 1933 #53 Ruth, T206 W.Johnson & 1949 Bowman Satchell.

I may not know as much as some of you. I value your opinions.

Perhaps 5 times graded quantities? Less? More? One dude chimed in and said about 5 times seemed like a good number - thank you for your guess. Other educated guesses welcome. The more educated guesses we get, the more we may all know.

Just want to learn more - Thanks.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The guesses aren't educated; it is impossible to fill in the denominator of the equation.

Or not...
Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The guesses aren't educated; it is impossible to fill in the denominator of the equation.
maybe for you it is Adam, the answer is...

Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 AM
J@son M1ller

Old 06-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Har dee har har

Or not...