NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Default Babe Ruth signed ball value

I know someone who is thinking of selling a signed Babe Ruth ball and asked me what it is worth. Truth is I have no idea so I thought I would turn to you guys.

Here are the details. The ball is signed by Ruth, Casey Stengal, and many others but they are not readable. I would rate the two sigs a 2. I don't know what type of ball it is but would assume it is a Harridge ball as Ruth signed it for the owner during a Spring Training game.

The ball is not in the best of shape as the owner played catch with it for years until he realized that was a bad idea.

The authenticity is rock solid. The seller received it directly from Ruth in April 1948. He has a copy of the local newspaper article covering the game and Babe Ruth's attendence. The seller's name is also mentioned in that article.

I have a photo of the ball but it is a poor one. I will upload it later today.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bryan
Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Scott

Well, that wasnt long before Babe passed. Id say if they r even partly readable, its got some value, but probably not an awful lot. The provenance is nice to have though. I look forward to the pictures.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Here is the picture. Sorry for the poor quality but this is what I received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010023.jpg (75.1 KB, 204 views)
Old 07-27-2009, 08:26 PM

Default Deal breaker...

The major problem with this "Ruth" ball is that Ruth never signed it.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Scott

Yeah, sad to say, that is not Babe's autograph.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Tom Boblitt

I'm thinking a little game of catch may be in order........
Old 07-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

I am not sure if Babe's auto is in that photo or not. The seller is an elderly man. I mailed him a digital camera to take pictures of the ball. He took photos of the panels and sweet spot but they were so blurry I couldn't see anything in any of the other photos.

I will certainly have him provide better photos if he does intend to sell it. For now, hypothetically speaking, could you throw out a value of where you think an authentic Ruth ball in the above condition would sell for.

He just wants to know what he could get for it. If it is worth it, he will sell it. I probobly will point him to an auction house so they can take care of the authenticity aspect. If the money is not enough, he will hold on to it.

If the ball does turn out to be non-authentic, and based on his history I have no reason to believe it wouldn't be but I will keep an open mind, I certainly won't be the one to tell him. He has spent 60 years believing he owns an authentic Ruth signed ball and I won't be the person to tell a 94 year old man it isn't.

If I do get better photos I will certainly post them here.

Thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Bryan
Old 07-28-2009, 11:55 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Better or enhanced photos won't help. It is still an obvious fake. FWIW, the Stengel looks equally bad, if not worse! Sorry for the "older gentleman", but there is little-to-no value here.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

I appreciate all of your comments. I called the potential seller and Ruth is indeed near Stengal so the photo is of Ruth. Is it possible that Ruth's signature deteriorated with his health?

The potential seller was the winning pitcher of that day's game that Ruth attended. He said Ruth signed and handed his wife the ball after she moved bats lying on the ground that were in Ruth's path. (He later had other people sign the ball as well.) The potential seller has an excellent memory and I don't doubt the event happened. Would you forget your encounter with Babe Ruth?

So I don't doubt that at one time he had a Ruth signed ball. But you guys know more on Ruth signatures than I do and I take your opinions seriously. I wonder if the ball was swapped out by someone with a fake somewhere down the road. Just trying to reconcile his memory with the general concensus.

I told the potential seller that I would need more pictures and he said that will be fine.

Any other thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Bryan
Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Unfortunately, more pictures will not change the opinions here. That is not Ruth's autograph. Sounds like it may well be that someone swiped the original ball from the gentleman. If his eyesight is failing perhaps he didn't notice.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Just reviewing all the facts you laid out. The original ball was signed during Ruth's appearance at a spring training game in 1948. Although very ill, Ruth did go to Florida for several weeks during what would have been spring training that year. I presume that your ball owner is talking major league spring training since you presume it is a Harridge ball. The gentleman, (94 now) would have been 33 years old then, obviously not a rookie. You state that he was the winning pitcher that day. Sounds like he had more than a cup of coffee in MLB, would we know his name? Sad story if an elderly major league veteran got ripped off.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Richard Simon

I usually don't post opinions on authenticity on Net54, for a variety of good reasons which I won't go into, but that is definitely not Babe Ruth's autograph. His signature did not deteriorate in his old age. No way, no how is that Ruth.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-28-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

I appreciate all of your comments. And especially thank you all for preventing me from looking like an idiot trying to sell a fake Babe Ruth signed ball. I just don't know how I am going to break the news to the potential seller.