NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Default vintage card survey

Posted By: david 

I am considering doing an extensive vintage card population report, hopefully in conjuction with oldcardboard and i am and trying to gauge interest in such an undertaking. initially, the survey will cover all the major N, E and T card sets and will be for individual cards in the set, similar to the recently published t207 article in vcbc. my hope is to make the survey form available online so that a person would create an account and be able to update their aquisitions and sales as need be. the info would then be available in an online data base for viewing. is there enough interest out there and would you be willing to particpate in the survey?

Old 07-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I think this is a great idea and I would support it enthusiastically. How detailed would you make it? Population only? Include graded populations separately (and/or together). I think it would be interesting if someone were to compile the pop numbers of the three major grading companies (PSA, SGC, GAI) on one list. I suppose there are a lot of possibilities here.
Jim

Old 07-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

you would have to do population only, as there is no way to actually verify the grade of a raw card. Besides, if the card isn't in a slab, what's to stop someone from claiming that their VG card is NM like some eBay sellers do?

Jay

Old 07-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff M.

I don't think that you will be able to go by what the population reports of the big 3 say. ( PSA, SGC, GAI ) I think that a lot of cards have been broken out and resubmitted to the same company to try to get a better grade or have been broken out of holders and sent to one of the other companies to try to upgrade. Whether it was for resale value or a set registry, most people will still buy the number on the holder instead of the card. I know of one card that was graded by the same company 3 times and then was seen in another companies holder with a half point upgrade, who knows it may have found a new holder by now. Jeff

Old 07-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

With very rare cards ... the POP reports may not be as accurate as possible due to re-submissions, crossovers, etc.

For example, I have several rare "one-of-a-kind" cards that have been graded by PSA. If I were to send them in to SGC for grading because I think they would grade higher and because the holders look nicer...

then I will immediately DOUBLE the entire "reported population" of these cards ... when in reality there is still only ONE such card in existence.

It would greatly DIMINISH the value of my cards if I did this because it would "appear" that there are a few "high grade" examples of each card floating around ... when in reality there is ONLY ONE of each.

I doubt that PSA and SGC would ever agree to work together to "DELETE" cards from their respective POP reports when they are "crossed over" ... but this would be the only solution to my problem.

Old 07-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I think it's a great idea. Personally, I am even more interested in evaluating rarity between sets, rather than rarity within a set. For example, how does a common 1941 Goudey compare to a common 1932 US Caramel?

Old 07-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: david

i think the report would just be limited to cards and not individual grades. for one it is interesting to note not only the rarity between sets but within a set. with the four base hits i believe that there are more known kellys then the other cards. initially the report will cover all the major issues and be expanded gradually to cover just about every issue. for the t206 set it would include all the cards and all the backs and you put in the correct combination. i would also probably include a special notation when there is only one recognized example.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan

Survey's are great but not completely accurate to me. Though the T207 survey was compiled exceptionally well, it didn't dent the amount of T207's that are out there. I know of a dozen people with complete sets, some with multiple sets and most with many extras that were never surveyed. That is just the ones I know. There should be twice that many that I do not know. Alot of excellent facts have come from the work of the T207 survey but it only scratched the surface of population in collections. To attempt this with all pre-war issues would be an incredible task! Good Luck.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Seth tried doing this with the 19th Century Only website a while back I believe. Perhaps someone could contact him to see how things went with his attempt at this.