NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default Wagner that people are actually bidding on!

Posted By: Wagner that people are actually bidding on!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86840&item=5217817439&rd=1>

I am a little shocked. It's at 15K right now.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane Killian

isnt' at least one of those bidder ideas, someone from the board? i would do a buy it now just to stop the auction but i cant spare the feedback since i'm new to ebay

Old 07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I usually buy cards that are photographed placed in a houseplant.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I ordinarilly pass on commenting on each new T206 Wagner on eBay. But, considering the size of the Sweet Caporal ad on back, you'd have to be really (as in REEEAAALLY) ignorant to bid on that card thinking it was real.

Concerning the typical quality of these photos, a 2x1" piece of cardboard ain't a mongoose fighting a cobra or a gazelle fleeing a tiger. You don't have to be a National Geographic staff photographer with access to a jeep in order to photograph a baseball card so it's in focus and fits within the picture border

And strange, frenetic and/or exotic backgrounds shouldn't sweeten the deal ("Oh, sweatheart, remember our honeymoon to Tahiti? Let us relive the experience by bidding on this baseball card nestled against the lovely foliage.)"

Old 07-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

It disturbs me to see people advocating that others place bids that they don't intend to honor, even on a fake card. By bidding under ebay's auspices you are entering into a contract to purchase. If you know that the item is fake and you BIN anyway, you could be found liable for the purchase price if the seller gets really pissy and sues, even if the item is a reprint. If a seller of a large ticket item came to me with a case where the bidder reneged after BINing an item, I would consider taking it.

And no, I am not defending a seller's right to gyp the public. I am merely raising a point that might come back to bite people in the butt if they persist in bidding on things that they have no intention of actually buying.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Adam, that's true and I've thought about that as well which is why I've never bid on an item with the intent to not purchase it. But if you're bidding on an item advertised as legit with the intention to not pay and then the seller sues you, couldn't you use the fact that you're not getting what you paid for as a defense? (ie...you paid for an authentic card but what he has to offer is a fake...so legally speaking, doesn't that nullify the transaction??)

Old 07-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gene Palmer

UNC Wagner plant variation?

Old 07-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I am R337MAN and DARBY-S. Are you saying the Wagner isn't real? I am very new at this and didn't know any better. Seriously guys, here was my plan. I knew I was safe at $15K since reserve would not be met. I was then hoping the slime would see I was a legitimate bidder and write me to sell off of ebay. Then I turn him in for trying to sell off of ebay, this is against ebay rules. Since ebay doesn't care about fraud, I figured I would try another angle. Dan.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

lean a $20K+ card unprotected against a plant? But that DOES give me an idea - hold your more valuable cards with a pair of plyers when photographing so that you don't accidentally drop them.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Dan,

I like that idea! Only problem is that you have been trumped several times over and the bidding is over $20K!

Has anyone heard from this seller? I'm sure people have been e-mailing him.

Sure beats working for a living, right?

DJ

Old 07-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

I get the joy of going to Pittsburgh in two weeks to testify in a Federal trial against an ebay scammer. Anything worthwhile to do in Pittsburgh besides take in a game?

Rob M.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

No counterfeiter is going to take to court someone for not paying for a counterfeit, when the counterfeiter's crime has a lot higher penalty than the bid breaker's. The last place a counterfeiter wants to be is in a courtroom with armed guards, testifying about the cards he sells.

That's why when a counterfeiter says he's going to sue you for calling one of his cards fake, he's not telling you the truth.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ted

The contract would be considered nul and void when the item is proven to be a fake. Although, I agree a seller could at least sue.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Barnes

Even to the untrained pre-war eye (me) the actual card stock that didn't get smeared with dirt looks wayyyy too bright... do the bidders not see what I'm seeing??

John Barnes

Old 07-13-2005, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...people saw R337man bid $15,000 on the card and are basing their authenticity on his feedback and ebay histories. That is, if R337man is willing to pony up $15K, then he must know something I'm missing.

It's also possible that people are just trying to figure out what the seller's reserve price is, for fun.

Which brings me to my final point, the fact that this seller has set such an astronomical reserve indicates to me, at least, that the seller may be so dumb as to believe he is selling the real thing -- which is why he might go into court to fight a non-paying bidder. This guy is surely not the counterfeiter.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Administrator

The image on the cover is very bright orange and could easily have been used to make a decent forgery.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Administrator

I don't know any of those bidders. I would bet the others are shills. It is an obvious fake and one bidder has more feedback than me. R337MAN

Old 07-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Rousseau

in the Q&a says that his eyes aren't very good. THAT must be why the photos are blurry- not that it's a scam! (Maybe, like the last Wagner seller- he's just trying to provide for his family).

Old 07-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Administrator

the fact that it is fake is not a defense to a breach of contract action. Similarly, if you bid on a card advertised as a possible reprint or offered as-is without warranty and you win, the fact that you later decide it is fake is not a defense because as part of the contract you assumed the risk of authenticity. While the odds of being sued are low because these sellers are usually too stupid to know they have a case, it only takes one who has a clue to make someone's life very unhappy.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

camera, or the training to use one. Seriously, the bit of the card you CAN see looks phony as hell. Why are people bidding? Are they all planning to do this reverse mortgage trick? (bad metaphor)

Actually, all you need is a scanner....I just woke up. Coffee is yet to come.

Still think my phony Wagner is interesting...

Old 07-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Adam, reserve was not met at $15K, I am under no obligation. Dan

Old 07-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

just sent this question to the seller(i'm sure he has been asked this 100x but what the heck).....the card is fake.are you going to gurantee its authenticity to the buyer??? and why isn't it graded?? see if i get any response at all.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Administrator

dont you peopl have anything better to do than hassle people jus trying to make a living? I have sent your email to ebay as this harasment is against there ruls.

God Bless

Old 07-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator

......he sent this email back to me it is not a fake and yes i do. i think he believes it's real?

Old 07-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Dan - I would be careful. I believe that ebay has an option where the seller can end the auction early and sell to the highest bidder. I do not know if this still applies when the high bid has not yet met the reserve, but I would not want to find out.

If the higher bids are shill, then the seller could potentially retract them until you are the high bidder again and then end the auction to sell to you.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane Killian

I have emailed him a few times telling him why it's fake and each time it's "i'm not worried my grandpa gave it to my dad" or "how could this be a fake it's 100 years old"

*d'oh*

Old 07-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gene Palmer

<<"how could this be a fake it's 100 years old">>

LOL that's like saying how could I be overdrawn I still have checks left!

Old 07-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

With over 6 hours to go, this little gem has passed the $30,000 mark but still hasn't met the reserve. It has 16 bids. What exactly is going on here? There is a fake Wagner on ebay roughly once a week, but the auctions are usually shut down in mid-stream. Who is bidding this kind of money on a card that among other things has such a blurry picture that it is tough to tell what it really looks like?
Not only that, but should it sell, is the seller aware of the amount of trouble he will be in? He's not selling a $50 reprint here. He's looking at mail fraud among many other criminal charges (our legal experts can help me here). This is one of the strangest auctions I have seen yet on ebay. How has it gotten this far?

Old 07-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

There is nothing at risk here. The seller isn't going to let go of this reprint for less than a mil.

At that reserve, it may be worth the flight to avoid prosecution.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

I think there's a good chance that this auction, as well as some of the similar ones in the past, are just practical jokes. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in our midst, a lurker maybe, was just having a little fun with us.

--Chad

Old 07-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

I am pretty certain that ebay would not be amused at this kind of practical joke. The seller would almost certainly be banned.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

This is in NO way a joke as what would be the payoff? 'You Got Punked?'

I too reported this and I am shocked that this is still up.

This person has sold on eBay the following wonderful items: HULL BROWN MIRRORED LARGE LEAF RELISH DISH, WOMEN'S PANT SUITE SIZE 16, HULL MIRRORED BROWN CORKED OIL/VINEGAR SET, HULL MIRRORED BROWN CORKY PIG 1957, CHICKEN 2QT. COVERD CASAROLE DISH (I WOULD BE GREAT FOR A CROCK A DOODLE STEW) and now, the gold standard of all trading cards, a six figured trading card.

Amazing and both Sad.

DJ

Old 07-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

over $30,000 that would be an expensive practical joke

Old 07-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

ok...who is "auburn82". he/she is the high bidder, and is so afraid of getting outbid....that they put in a second bid.
if this is a practical joke...i'm laughing.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

I sir, am appalled! I wouldn't argue that it's a smart practical joke, that's for sure, but I still think the possibility remains. The other items the seller has, if this indeed is just some fooling around, are actually pretty funny. I know there are websites and blogs out there set up to specifically tweak ebay. Never underestimate the power of an overducated workforce with lots of downtime and internet access at work. What they really should be doing is finding me some uncatalogued Mexican League cards from the 30's and 40's. Lazy stooges!

--Chad

Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Administrator

By my calculations the listing cost him $4.80 to post and $100 for the reserve. Seems kinda stupid to waste that much money on a scam like this.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Administrator

this is the stupidist auction ever ... a poor reprint at $30,000 k and still has not met the reserve!! has anyone emailed the high bidder and told them this is a reprint and a bad one at that.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Administrator

You would have to email all the bidders, because if the high bidder drops out someone may top him and then he would have to be emailed, etc. I can't believe this still hasn't been shut down. If the auction is real, and the card meets the reserve, and the buyer sends out some ungodly sum of money, it will be a very sad day for someone.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

trouble? Someone bidding thirty thousand on that piece of sh*t is hardly going to be wisae enough to take the most carefully worded warning...BOY, it's sickening...

Old 07-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

You're right Julie- if you emailed the high bidder he would probably think you were just trying to snipe this great rarity away from him. If these people are stupid enough to bid, they are probably paranoid and delusional as well.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Administrator

This wasn't worth wasting the bytes of space necessary to start a new thread, but the amazing brevity of the description, and % of mispelled words, should earn it some sort of award.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5217372041&category=70380&rd=1

Old 07-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Administrator

That's pretty funny- I guess you send him $10 and he surprises you. Kind of grab bag style.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Scott,my brother once put up an ebay auction that had only question marks for the title and the description only said "could be anything. $5 shipping". The auction went over $15 eventho he gave no clue as to what it could be

Old 07-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Does the wording of "base ball" indicate that this latter posting is for a 19th century card? Very good deal if it really is "i ment contion" or even nire ment.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Several years ago I listed a t206 "spinning" Wagner auction on ebay. I had used a special affect to blurr the image and in my description apologized for the blurry scan, but said that the card would start spinning whenever I tried to scan it. I got several serious emails asking what it looked like when it wasn't spinning, and suggesting ways to hold it still.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator

the "Honus Lisa", "Statue of Honus", and "Honustine Chapel"

Old 07-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Administrator

that someone ran in the newspaper that said "Fantastic offer! Send $1" It didn't promise anything in return. They received thousands of responses. Ads like that were fairly quickly banned. People are so friggin stupid that it really isn't even funny.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Administrator

i wood be intrasted in the honus lisa,how much ar you askin? is it an orriginel leonardo dicapprio???

Old 07-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60504&item=5214837238

Old 07-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Ooh, an original Mondrian!