NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2015, 12:35 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default OT: Harper

Bryce Harper. Not jumping on his band wagon or anything, drove down from MN to see this kid play in JuCo and he's playing like that now...finally.

I don't like comparisons because each Legend make up who they are in different ways. Seasons like this have happened in the past recently (A-Rod, Pujols), but I didn't get to enjoy and appreciate those because I was younger, but now I have these two in Trout and Harper that I hope will amaze us everyday.

It's not close to being fair for me to compare these two to Mantle/Mays/Aaron (pick your two poisons), but, I am so thrilled to have two young players playing out of their minds to give us modern folks a slap in the face of reality for how the game should be played.

Hopefully the game is back to how it should be played, if so, it's up to these two kids...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2015, 06:20 AM
Greg Mitchell

Not quite on their level but I would add just below--Nolan Arenado, another young veteran (just turned 24). Strong hitter, human highlight play in field, engaging personality....
Old 05-28-2015, 08:22 AM

Harper is great. I'm bummed I didn't get into his stuff last year when everyone wrote him off.

The future is bright for baseball. Very soon we'll be seeing the likes of Carlos Correa, Corey Seager, and Byron Buxton in the big leagues. But I think the real once in a generation player is going to be 18 year AA pitcher Julio Urias.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 AM
And.rew C0rs0

I live in DC area and am a Nats fan, so maybe I am a little biased. I don't understand why there seems to be such animosity toward Bryce Harper across the league. He was previously voted most over-rated player, the umpires seem to really dislike him, etc. He seems like a pretty smart, humble person who has few vices. And he is just plain good. He's got a cannon from the outfield and a fantastic swing.

A lot of the lamenting last year about who will be the next big star now that Jeter is gone seems overblown. There are a lot of great young hitters in baseball right now. Can't wait to see Buxton in the bigs soon.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:35 AM

I think a lot of Harper's reputation stems from jealousy. Lots of players had to pay their dues. But Harper was more or less handed the title of superstar before he became one. That's not his own doing. It's the media who labeled him a star. Some players I'm sure didn't like that but you can't blame Harper for other people's opinions.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Jason Stricker

Default Love me some Harper

Been a Harper fan from day one (Nats fan/season ticket holder) and have been extremely impressed with him this year. Finally he's healthy and I hope he stays that way. Matt Williams has done a lot to help get the media off his back and to keep Bryce focused.

At one time I had the most Harper PSA 10s on their registry but with as many cards that are produced these days, I gave up on collecting all of his cards. I unfortunately sold 2/3 of my PSA 10s to help fund a house purchase. I'm seeing cards that sold for $125/$150 6 months ago going for $350+ now that he's finally running on all cylinders. Had I waited to sell them all now, I'd be much wealthier. Great time to sell his cards if you're not looking to hold long term. Terrible time to buy.

I'm not much into comparing him to former greats or placing such labels as he's the next Mantle or Mays or whomever. I will say that, at least currently, he's playing at a level that's on par if not better than the greats.

Currently he's leading all of baseball in OPS, SLG, OBP, RBI, BB and tied for first in HR and Runs. Babe Ruth's career OPS is 1.164 and Harper's currently is 1.215. Not saying Harper's the next Ruth, just saying his current numbers are amazingly good.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Mike Mattsey

Any mention of baseball's young stars has to mention Chicago's young duo of Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Harper is having a great season so far, and even as a Pirates fan I am happy to see it. He seems to play the game all out and I very much respect him for that.

I do not, however, expect him to keep up this pace, or even all that close to this pace. We will see how he does after the league makes an adjustment that he has some trouble with. What does he do after his next 2-for-20 stretch. Does he make the adjustments he needs to at that point. I can see him ending with 35 or so homers and an OPS somewhere in the 975 range...which is certainly nothing to sneeze at. Especially in this day and age. I'm just not going to extrapolate what he has done in his first 200 plate appearances of 2015 onto the rest of the year or the career of a 22 year old. I mean...Dee Gordon is hitting .370 something so far this year. I could extrapolate that into 3500 hits and a career batting average that would make Ty Cobb envious.

Tom C
Old 05-28-2015, 01:18 PM

It seems like that perception has been a part of Harper's whole career. But this year shows me at least that he is every bit the player he's supposed to be.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Viva Las Vegas!!!

Don't look now, but Joey Gallo is hitting .315 in Double-A...we may see him by the end of 2016!

AWESOME TRIO!!

'Chicks' aren't the only ones who did the long ball.

Hopefully, all this power is legit and not enhanced.

...and did you see the AB when Bryant hit his most recent homer? Full-Count for the 43rd plate appearance already. (of course, he's only hitting .135 in those ABs, but he is seeing a lot of pitches, walking a lot, scoring a lot, and learning) I just hope he ends up with more homers than errors...think it's 7-up right now.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 05-28-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Detail Enhancement
Old 05-28-2015, 01:59 PM
Pete Sycks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
I live in DC area and am a Nats fan, so maybe I am a little biased. I don't understand why there seems to be such animosity toward Bryce Harper across the league. He was previously voted most over-rated player, the umpires seem to really dislike him, etc. He seems like a pretty smart, humble person who has few vices. And he is just plain good. He's got a cannon from the outfield and a fantastic swing.

A lot of the lamenting last year about who will be the next big star now that Jeter is gone seems overblown. There are a lot of great young hitters in baseball right now. Can't wait to see Buxton in the bigs soon.

I don't know if humble and Bryce Harper should be in the same sentence. Before he hit the show he was talking about how great he was in high school and Juco. There's probably a reason why umps don't like him either, every borderline call he looks at blue and screams at him. I'm fine with disagreeing with a call, but you don't have to hurt your team by making your hitting zone a little bigger now.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 05-28-2015, 02:48 PM

Why not humble?

When a beer company tried to capitalize on his "clown question bro" quote by releasing a "Clown Question" beer, he suggested they donate portions of their sales to a daughter of a police officer from Denver who was killed in the line of duty. The company agreed.

When cameras caught him wearing a customized fire dept. helmet during a club house celebration, he put the logo onto T-shirts and began selling them to raise money for the DC Fire Fighters Burn Foundation.

Just a few of his gestures in his early 20s that show he sees the world as bigger than himself.

Last edited by packs; 05-28-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Don't look now, but Joey Gallo is hitting .315 in Double-A...we may see him by the end of 2016!
Joey Gallo in the very upper echelon in terms of power of any guy I've ever seen. We got to see him for a couple weeks here in Spokane a few years ago. He didn't do much (hit .250, 5 HRs, something like that) but...he showed some flashes. Like the night he hit a home run (waaaaaay) over the light pole in right field that probably traveled 500 feet, at a minimum. In a ballpark where the ball doesn't carry. At 18 years old. Good grief.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default RE: 'Mondo' Harper - Hold those stones...

Pause...just for a minute...and think about the type person you were at his age...

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 05-28-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
I live in DC area and am a Nats fan, so maybe I am a little biased. I don't understand why there seems to be such animosity toward Bryce Harper across the league. He was previously voted most over-rated player, the umpires seem to really dislike him, etc.
It's a rep that goes back to his high school days. He was anointed by Sports Illustrated when they put him on their cover at 16 years old. He carried himself with a bit of a chip on his shoulder through his early pro career and responded poorly to trash talking and hassling. He's been a lot better in the majors but he clearly came into the league carrying himself with some arrogance which, combined with the "OMG, HE'S A SUPERSTAR!!!!!" tag hung on him by the media long before he'd earned, garnered him resentment. On top of that, he also argues balls and strikes way too much. And then there's stuff like the petulant way he put his toe in the box last week in the game where he got kicked out.

Don't get me wrong - I like Harper. But I totally get why there's animosity and it's absolutely NOT completely unearned.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206blogcom View Post
Babe Ruth's career OPS is 1.164 and Harper's currently is 1.215. Not saying Harper's the next Ruth, just saying his current numbers are amazingly good.
Of course, Ruth achieved his over the course of 2500 games. Harper's put up his over the course of....(less than) 50. Not quite the same thing.

However, Harper's 1.215 would be the highest for a single-season since 1941 excluding Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:39 PM
Bill T.

Been a huge Harper fan since the early game where Cole Hamels "welcomed" him to the big leagues. First toss, he hits Harper in the back with a purpose pitch. Harp goes to third on a single, then in-your-face steals home on Hamels' pickoff move to first. Way to play the game.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:12 PM
Val Kehl

I have lived in the DC area all of my 71 years, and I acknowledge that Harper is exceptionally talented - his power for his size is amazing - very likely, an eventual HOFer. This said, the only time I root for Harper to do well is when the Nats need him to produce - otherwise I root for him to strike out. Humble is the last word I would use to describe Harper - arrogant is a more fitting adjective, IMO. Yeah, he has a cannon for an arm, and he absolutely relishes throwing out base runners - but he refuses to hit the cut-off man, which often results in another base runner advancing an extra base on his throw. I guess that I'm just "old school."
Val
Old 05-28-2015, 09:21 PM
pete ullman

I love watching harper play...he IS awesome! Humble...uh...no f'ing way...definitely cocky...but that's ok...he is exciting, brash...and doesn't appear to be a dick.

I look forward to watching him for years to come...and maybe...just maybe someday he will be a YANKEE!!!!!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:21 PM
pete ullman

oopsie!

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-28-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:22 AM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
just maybe someday he will be a YANKEE!!!!!
Bite your tongue!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:58 AM
Paul S

I'm a big Nats fan and enjoy watching Harper. He's very exciting, and often plays the game the "right way," so to speak. But he isn't what I would call humble, and stating that the fans don't come out to see the umpire call balls and strikes, while true, is unnecessarily demeaning and in poor taste. Ballplayers should not treat umpires as if they are lower than them, even if that's the way a lot of people see it. I'm pretty sure umpires know that fans don't come to see them call a game and don't need to be told that they're not getting paid millions of dollars a year.

As someone who has watched Harper very closely since he came up, I would also be extremely surprised if he does not take the money and run the first chance he gets to leave the Nats. I like watching him, but I wish I liked him better.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly View Post
As someone who has watched Harper very closely since he came up, I would also be extremely surprised if he does not take the money and run the first chance he gets to leave the Nats.
He's stated many times he wants to only play for one team in his career.