NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2024, 10:18 AM
Val Kehl

Default A card-collecting Wash. Nationals prospect

I think folks will enjoy this read from today's Sports Section of the Washington Post. What caught my attention is the statement that Backyard Breaks "has more than 706,000 followers on Tik-Tok." If only 1/2% of them start collecting vintage cards, that's 3,530 more competitors for the cards we all collect - ouch!

How does Brady House start his day? With card collector live streams.
By Andrew Golden
March 16, 2024 at 11:40 a.m. EDT

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Washington Nationals prospect Brady House wakes up every morning and grabs his phone off his bedside table. In that way, he is no different from any 20-year-old whose screen demands an inordinate amount of his time. While some 20-somethings scroll aimlessly on social media, though, House knows exactly what he wants to find online.

Live streams of people opening packs of sports cards.

“I’m telling you,” House said. “I spend at least a couple hours a day … like going to bed and waking up watching these live streams.”

House is a frequent user of two apps that host live streams for “breaking” or “ripping” — which, in card collecting lingo, just means opening packs. Backyard Breaks, a company dedicated to opening card packs that has more than 706,000 followers on TikTok, hosts streams that House tunes into in the morning and before he goes to bed. Viewers can buy cards, too, though there are other avenues for buying, including websites such as eBay and at in-person events.

“I don’t even get nervous in baseball. I don’t get nervous in practice,” said House, the Nationals’ 2021 first-round pick. “But whenever I’m breaking a card and I’m waiting for my card to get ripped, I’m just nervous. ... That’s how much I love it.”

House, who was drafted as a shortstop but has since made the shift to third base, hasn’t looked nervous in his first big league camp after jumping from low Class A Fredericksburg to Class AA Harrisburg last season. But he played only 88 games in 2023 as the organization managed his workload following a back injury that limited him to just 45 games in his first full season the previous year. His presence in big league camp is a positive sign for the Nationals, but he probably needs more time to develop in the minors before he is major league ready.

At Nationals spring training, House isn’t alone in his obsession. On Friday, starter Patrick Corbin and relievers Jordan Weems and Hunter Harvey were among those watching live streams on the clubhouse couches. The next day, a clubhouse attendant wheeled in a cart of between 50 to 100 packs. Chaos ensued as players opened packs and held up their cards.

“I think it’s more so the thrill of opening the packs again for a lot of [players],” said catcher Drew Millas, who has an online card store he runs with two Tampa Bay Rays pitchers. “It’s fun. Brings us all together.”

As players showed off the latest additions to their collections earlier in spring training, House walked into the clubhouse, saw a few cards from a distance and yelled, “CJ Strouddddd,” with a grin as he hustled toward the melee.

House’s card collecting obsession started in 2022 as he searched for ways to fill his free time during his first full professional season. The second card he bought was a Trea Turner 1st Bowman card, which is made by Topps before a player makes his major league debut. He realized the card, which was cardboard and not Bowman Chrome, wasn’t as valuable as he thought when his passion started to take hold. “That was definitely the first mistake,” he said.

House is still learning about his hobby, and he enjoys that part about it, too. Andrew Nacario, his agent at CAA Sports, is also a collector who searches for cards from the 1940s and ’50s. The two will text about card breaks or notable sales. House’s agency helped set him up with his own live card break last July, in which he opened packs and signed memorabilia for fans.

“He’s always had such a passion for baseball,” Nacario said. “Collecting cards is an extension of that.”

House estimates he has more than 1,000 cards but said only about 100 are valuable to him. His favorite card is a rare Jalen Hurts rookie patch auto, which has the highest grade for its condition. Translation: It’s a rookie card with a patch — probably a piece of a Hurts jersey. “Auto” is short for autograph.

House enjoys collecting football and basketball cards more than he enjoys collecting those from his own sport because it gives him the chance to learn. He showed off his latest Joe Burrow card around the clubhouse Tuesday and is the proud new owner of a Jordan Love card, too.

“He’s going to be an MVP one day. He’s going to win a Super Bowl,” House said about the Green Bay Packers quarterback.

If Love does, that card will probably grow in value. Markets for cards fluctuate based on player performance, trades, milestones and franchise affiliation. The scarcity of the card matters, too. Outfielder Juan Soto’s market, for example, probably will skyrocket now that he plays for the New York Yankees.

House, like many baseball fans, also likes chasing after first Bowman cards — typically the first official card released of a player after they are drafted.

House doesn’t collect his own cards, but there are a handful of prospects who intrigue him. They also happen to share a clubhouse. He has been in contact with the owner of a Robert Hassell III card and the owner of a Trey Lipscomb. Both cards are one-of-a-kind. And there’s one other card that he absolutely has to get.

“Whenever Jacob Young gets his out, I’m going crazy on those,” House said. “I’ve got to get my favorite player.”

As House talked about his cards in the clubhouse last week, Darren Baker walked by and shook his head. A Darren Baker card, though? It’s on House’s watch list, along with the future cards of some other Nationals prospects.

“I look at Hassell and James Wood’s Bowman first autos — I have to get one,” House said. “I don’t know. I just — I want every single card.”
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice story and thanks for posting it, Val. Some of us believe the collectors collecting the new, shiny prospect, refractor whatchamacallits and all of that stuff, will eventually refine their tastes to players that won't be taking steroids and such. The more young collectors the better. Many will find their way back to our gems and start seeing the beautiful artwork and history of them.