NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Default Is this/these a 1910 E-UNC and if real?

I done some research beforehand. Of course most times it took me to the net54 archives-LOL! The image from e-98. Most likely looks like the 1910 E-unc, but all i seen are the red versions/blue
As for real? Looks good to me as per staining and wear, but im no expert on these. The few i seen are cut on the borders, this has some extra space outside Cobb, thinking some sort of panel. I seen some with or without the basepath/diamonds.
I have asked Leon with some advice beforehand, but its near the 1k mark and too much of a gamble i am not sure about, especially the notation from his dad and etc.
Tho, he does have a Matthewson Red version, which seems legit and others i seen are also red.
I just have not seen this blackish-blue version anywhere.
I did bid a few times..but maybe someone here is getting it/them.
Heres the pics

BACK:

THE MATTHEWSON:

the back:

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 01-25-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:53 PM
Trey

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it generally frowned upon to out an active auction item on this forum? It's one thing to post if you know it's a fake, but I'm sure there are people bidding on these items who don't appreciate the added publicity.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:59 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Wow with only 30 mins left
Old 01-25-2015, 05:18 PM
Brad Pencil

Yeah I know I've been bid up like crazy after this started... oh well..
Old 01-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

well that was fun....I had no interest and didn't bid..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-034-...p2047675.l2557

Old 01-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Brad Pencil

And got kicked at the end. Well guess there is the Mathewson still.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

looks like it is from the cover of a game.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Brad Pencil

It's a 1910 E-UNC its from a candy box from what I know. Less than 10 between PSA & SGC. There are nicer examples for sure but they don't come around very often.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil1974 View Post
Yeah I know I've been bid up like crazy after this started... oh well..
precisely why this practice is frowned upon.

Last edited by gnaz01; 01-25-2015 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2015, 10:00 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

Forgive me for taking this on a tangent, but why is it frowned upon to "out" an auction? For every bidder/winner who is "hurt" a seller/consigner gets a benefit. And that seller/consigner may very well be an active and helpful participant on this board. And, the more exposure each rare item gets on this board means that more collectors who may have an interest in it have a chance to learn about it and perhaps even bid on it. And, then there is a truer sense of the value of the item as more of the "market" will have had a chance to value it with bids. Maybe I am just missing something.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:55 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koufax32fan View Post
Forgive me for taking this on a tangent, but why is it frowned upon to "out" an auction? For every bidder/winner who is "hurt" a seller/consigner gets a benefit. And that seller/consigner may very well be an active and helpful participant on this board. And, the more exposure each rare item gets on this board means that more collectors who may have an interest in it have a chance to learn about it and perhaps even bid on it. And, then there is a truer sense of the value of the item as more of the "market" will have had a chance to value it with bids. Maybe I am just missing something.

You won't feel the same way when the item is something that you're interested in.

Marketing is a job for the auction house, consignor, or seller.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:25 AM
Tom Boblitt

In the past, it's generally only applied to eBay items........most everyone knows that Sterling, Love of the Game, etc are having an auction, so there's never been any big deal when people discuss those items before or during an auction. I see both sides of the road on it because people spend TONS of time searching items with all kinds of obscure search terms and everyone likes a bargain. Seller's also want to maximize their return. I agree with the sentiment that marketing (and RESEARCH) is the job of the person selling the item though. Case in point......the McKinley card that recently sold at REA that originally sold for $9.99 on eBay.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:51 AM
Brad Pencil

I would say it's wrong because it's free advertising to the seller/consigner, and that being the case you would be taking food off Leon's table or from his dogs and that's not good.

Also I think it would skew the market the same way if no one saw it as you may have people firing away just because they want a rare piece that they normally wouldn't have seen. So you can't call that true "market" value.

Plus the the idea getting a rare card that not many knew about is why we search eBay for hours and hours looking for that type of find.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil1974 View Post
I would say it's wrong because it's free advertising to the seller/consigner, and that being the case you would be taking food off Leon's table or from his dogs and that's not good.

Also I think it would skew the market the same way if no one saw it as you may have people firing away just because they want a rare piece that they normally wouldn't have seen. So you can't call that true "market" value.

Plus the the idea getting a rare card that not many knew about is why we search eBay for hours and hours looking for that type of find.
To be clear I think this whole discussion is concerning outing OTHER people's auctions. Spamming your own auction on the front page will get you banned or in trouble. (or wishing you were banned when members find out). Thanks for thinking of my doggies too. They are doing very well.

Last edited by Leon; 01-26-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:57 AM
Brad Pencil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
To be clear I think this whole discussion is concerning outing OTHER people's auctions. Spamming your own auction on the front page will get you banned or in trouble. (or wishing you were banned when members find out). Thanks for thinking of my doggies too. They are doing very well.

"And that seller/consigner may very well be an active and helpful participant on this board."

I was replying to this part of what he was saying since it can be others or it could be "a friend" spamming someone else's for them. Do I think it happened in this case, no probably not but I think its one of the main reasons auctions should not be outed before they are done because it could happen. I think its fine if you want to ask through PM's or if you don't know enough or didn't do the research then don't bid. Just my two cents.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:17 PM
Trey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koufax32fan View Post
Forgive me for taking this on a tangent, but why is it frowned upon to "out" an auction? For every bidder/winner who is "hurt" a seller/consigner gets a benefit. And that seller/consigner may very well be an active and helpful participant on this board.
Board members have the ability to advertise their ebay items in the BST on the "Ebay & Other Auction Announcement" section. So we have our "active and helpful participants" covered....
Old 01-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Reply- i wasnt trying to intend to 'out' the auction, i was trying to gather more info on them beforehand. I infact PM'ed Leon, to see if i get a response, as i dont know many pre-war guys. I did place 2 bids on it, and easily there was a duel already in place beforehand.
I did not mention a auction house or where it was from, just took a stab they were indeed real, since i saw the Matty with it, just needed approval from someone with more knowledge.
Sorry for any inconviences.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 01-26-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

does anyone know exactly how rare that Cobb actually is outside of the pop reports?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Reply- i wasnt trying to intend to 'out' the auction, i was trying to gather more info on them beforehand. I infact PM'ed Leon, to see if i get a response, as i dont know many pre-war guys. I did place 2 bids on it, and easily there was a duel already in place beforehand.
I did not mention a auction house or where it was from, just took a stab they were indeed real, since i saw the Matty with it, just needed approval from someone with more knowledge.
Sorry for any inconviences.
And after I answered your PM I saw this thread already posted. No worries, that card was going to sell where it should have anyway (most likely).

As for rarity, hard to say. As I told a few folks, if I were to get one I would want one with the diamond tabs on each side. I have seen about 2-3 of those and about 2-3x that many without the tabs (as these are on ebay).
Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Only 10 copies of the Cobb is pretty rare. Do you think all the cards from this set have the same rarity?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Jon Canfield

So how many are in this set; I at least know there's a Cobb, Mathewson and Evers now.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Bob Lemke

Eddie Collins, "Honus" Wagner and Cy Young (photo actually Irv Young) are also checklisted in the Standard Catalog.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards