NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Mike Schulze

Default Storing Cards in a Lockbox... Advice Please!

I have several raw cards that I would like to store long term in my lockbox at the bank but I'm unsure if there are "proper" ways to do this. Should I place them in individual protective sleeves, hard protectors, or just leave them stacked without sleeves? Are there any problems with storing cards long term like this and/or any unforeseen potential hazards?

Also, if anyone can give me any tips on storing Morgan dollars and Krugerrands long term as well.... I had planned on placing them in the snap-lock, individual coin holders. If I'm missing something here, PLEASE let me know. Thanks a million! - Mike Schulze
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default storing raw cards in a safe deposit box

I have quite a few raw cards in my safe deposit box. I have them in ultra pro toploaders, with penny sleeves housing the cards in them. Just stack 'em up after that. Seems to have worked for the last 10 yrs for me. I feel a bit more protected in having my (to me) expensive ones there instead of my home safe.

As for the coins, sorry, I have no experience with them. I would guess what you are saying, as long as the snap-lock holders are preservation type, is fine. Good luck and happy collecting.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Mike Schulze

Thanks Leon! I was worried that there may be some other precautions that I should take that I hadn't thought of yet. Thanks for the info. -Mike
Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdschulze View Post
Thanks Leon! I was worried that there may be some other precautions that I should take that I hadn't thought of yet. Thanks for the info. -Mike
Mike,

Something that I do is place all of my cards in large, Ziploc bags before I put them in the safe-deposit box. Box of my boxes at the bank are near the floor, and I figure if there's ever a flood, those boxes aren't waterproof. Maybe the plastic bags wouldn't help in that situation, but I figure they don't hurt.

Rob
Old 03-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Get a fire-proof safe and store it all at home, you can look at them any time you want. My $.02
Old 03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
Get a fire-proof safe and store it all at home, you can look at them any time you want. My $.02
That's what I did. Bought a Superior (made by Champion) gun safe. It's approx 5' high, 3' wide and 2' deep. The fire rating is 1500 degrees for 60 minutes. It has 14 locking bolts and weighs 800 lbs. so nobody will be carting it off.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Guns and Cards together at last...
Old 03-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I did that but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
I have a 1200 pound jewelers safe which has a monitored alarm at home. However, my concern was a fire (plastic tends to melt) or worse yet, some yaahoo knowing I have cards and coming to my door with a gun. I feel so much better spending $8 a month for my large safe deposit box. I still have a lot of my less valuable stuff at home....And I have a nice website with most of my cards on it to look at. To each their own though.....Whatever makes ya' sleep good at night is what you should do. Happy collecting. regards
Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Mike Schulze

I have a fire proof safe at the house but my homeowner's insurance only covers collectibles up to $2500... they'll jump to $5k if you itemize everything, take photos, then submit to them for their records. My wife just inherited about $4k in crystal figurines that are now on display in the dang china cabinet I had to buy her. So, I figured I'd take any card valued over $500 and put them in the lockbox, along with my coins, and leave everything else in the safe at home. My insurance agent has helped me out in the past but now we need to just get some of the smaller, more valuable items off the premises.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Isome yaahoo knowing I have cards and coming to my door with a gun.
Leon, that's why you have to answer the door with a gun.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
Leon, that's why you have to answer the door with a gun.
Reminds me of this scene from Godfather II
Flixster - Share Movies
Old 03-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Mike,

Something that I do is place all of my cards in large, Ziploc bags before I put them in the safe-deposit box. Box of my boxes at the bank are near the floor, and I figure if there's ever a flood, those boxes aren't waterproof. Maybe the plastic bags wouldn't help in that situation, but I figure they don't hurt.

Rob
This is unintentionally hilarious. Look at how Rob cares for his cards; if his wife's jewelry were in that box do you think they'd be getting the anti-imaginary flood contingency treatment?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
This is unintentionally hilarious. Look at how Rob cares for his cards; if his wife's jewelry were in that box do you think they'd be getting the anti-imaginary flood contingency treatment?
Jewelry?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM

I think it's a shame that one of the items we so enjoy looking at, has to be kept away from our eyes to be safe.

We should be thankful we live in the digital age, where we can see an exact likeness of our treasures without fear of them being robbed.

That said, I find the act of scanning and naming cards to be one of the most boring activities ever.

I was thinking about getting some digital picture frames and setting them to slide show mode with pictures of my favorite cards and hanging a few around the house. Has anyone done this? If so, is it cheesy or cool?

Of course, there's nothing like the smell and touch of a nice T3
Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Brad Green

I have the moisture-collecting packages (I can't remember what they are called at this moment) in the safe deposit box with my cards. I haven't seen any signs of moisture in there, but they are there just in case.... It is also a good idea to keep them in your safe if you have one...
Old 03-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygrove10 View Post
I have the moisture-collecting packages (I can't remember what they are called at this moment) in the safe deposit box with my cards. I haven't seen any signs of moisture in there, but they are there just in case.... It is also a good idea to keep them in your safe if you have one...
Silica packets...I *think*

Regards,

Richard.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Jewelry?
Yeah, I realized that as soon as I wrote it.....
Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Frank Wakefield

When a person dies, the contents of the decedent's lock box would be inventoried. If there were 6 rare coins in there, then they would be listed as assets of the estate, subject to inheritance tax and estate tax.

If the 6 coins were insured, and the coins were in the lock box, then those two situations would be consistent. But if the 6 coins were scheduled on a policy and only 2 were there, then there would be concern because the 4 missing coins may well have been sold. And if they were sold, then was tax paid on the sale. And if not paid, then would the tax be levied against the estate...

Some stuff to contemplate when storing valuable coins in a safety deposit box.

And the little packages contain silica gel, a desiccant.

Plastic bags is a good idea. Banks can catch afire. Some banks have sprinkler systems... you just never know what could happen.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 03-08-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Mike Schulze

Thanks everyone for the ideas and some good points in Frank's post. I'm for certain going to be storing some cards in the lockbox but I'm still contemplating the coins. About a year ago, we were debating on adding an additional safe into the workshop and maybe split everything into 2 safes (one in the house, one in the shop). If I could get more insurance at a decent rate for my collectables, then this wouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Larry

Default Superior Gun Safe

Thanks for the photos, David. I've been thinking about just such a safe as an alternative to my safe deposit box for some time now, and the wife likes the idea as well as a safe place to stash her jewelry (yes, Rob, jewelry!). Good temperature resistance and too heavy for a couple of burglars to cart away. By the way, do you mind stating what you paid for the safe?

Eric, fabulous picture!

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 03-08-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling (post-50 brain-fade!)
Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Thanks for the photos, David. I've been thinking about just such a safe as an alternative to my safe deposit box for some time now, and the wife likes the idea as well as a safe place to stash her jewelry (yes, Rob, jewelry!). Good temperature resistance and too heavy for a couple of burglars to cart away. By the way, do you mind stating what you paid for the safe?

Eric, fabulous picture!

Larry
Larry,

I'll send you the information via PM. If anybody else wants to know, they can PM me as well.

David
Old 03-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Frank Wakefield

Mike, if a fellow stored 5 coins, rare coins, in a safe at his home, and if he had them listed on a schedule for an insurance policy, and they were on the schedule for 8 years, and then he died.... when his estate was probated those 5 coins should appear in his estate, subject to inheritance tax and maybe an estate tax. If the coins aren't there, then the presumption would be that he sold them, because if they had been stolen he'd have make a claim. If they were sold, then tax records from one of those 8 years would show the sale, and the ordinary income from the sale. And if that income wasn't there, then the IRS might think that the estate should now pay what the tax would have been, and maybe a penalty. Something for a fellow to think about when scheduling stuff on a policy.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Mike Schulze

Frank, I see what you're saying. My insurance agent, whom I've known for years, has helped out a lot with my insurance policy. The $5k itemized list covers the things too large for a safe and that are displayed in our home (mostly artwork & now these darn crystal figurines). My cards and coins aren't on the radar now so maybe I'll just proceed with the additional home safe. Thanks for the info. -Mike
Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
When a person dies, the contents of the decedent's lock box would be inventoried. If there were 6 rare coins in there, then they would be listed as assets of the estate, subject to inheritance tax and estate tax.

If the 6 coins were insured, and the coins were in the lock box, then those two situations would be consistent. But if the 6 coins were scheduled on a policy and only 2 were there, then there would be concern because the 4 missing coins may well have been sold. And if they were sold, then was tax paid on the sale. And if not paid, then would the tax be levied against the estate...

Some stuff to contemplate when storing valuable coins in a safety deposit box.

And the little packages contain silica gel, a desiccant.

Plastic bags is a good idea. Banks can catch afire. Some banks have sprinkler systems... you just never know what could happen.
It's a good idea to have joint ownership of a safety box or a TOD of the contents. This, depending of what state you live in, would avoid the contents being inventoried or subject to probate. Exceptions apply, of course, state by state, one possibly being if the only copy of the will is in the box.

The estate would have to be over 3.5 mil (or did that change recently?) to be subject to inheritance tax.

I'm not a lawyer, this is just based on experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

The bottom line, for me anyway, is, I don't want the government meddling in my affairs after I'm gone, so my heirs have access to all my accounts and most are TOD.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default My eyes are going crazy...

Is it just me, or does that safe look flush against the wall at the top, but has depth at the bottom. I was looking at it thinking I might see Willy Wonka with Mrs. Gloop at the back...

I actually have a safe like that with Shoeless Joe Jackson in it.

Take Care,
Geno
Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Rich v@n He$$

You can put Pince Albert in a can, but you cant put Shoeless Joe in a safe.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
Is it just me, or does that safe look flush against the wall at the top, but has depth at the bottom. I was looking at it thinking I might see Willy Wonka with Mrs. Gloop at the back...

I actually have a safe like that with Shoeless Joe Jackson in it.

Take Care,
Geno
Geno,

That particular model of safe was designed by none other than MC Escher.

Mike