NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 PM

Default The Most Valuable One-Off Player Card

So I was pondering this one...what is the most valuable baseball card that also is the only card for that particular player?

For example, take the John Kucab card from the '52 Topps set...he had a short career, and to my knowledge this card is his one and only cardboard appearance, but being a high number 52 he still fetches anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.

Can anyone think of others? I'd imagine there are some prewar examples, but it's a fun puzzle to ponder!
Old 03-25-2015, 04:23 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
So I was pondering this one...what is the most valuable baseball card that also is the only card for that particular player?

For example, take the John Kucab card from the '52 Topps set...he had a short career, and to my knowledge this card is his one and only cardboard appearance, but being a high number 52 he still fetches anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.

Can anyone think of others? I'd imagine there are some prewar examples, but it's a fun puzzle to ponder!
Probably one of the multi-player rookie cards like '63 Pete Rose; looks like Ken McMullin was a one-timer. Fun question. I'm guessing these count.

A PSA Gem Mint 10 Rose rookie sold for $86,500 (from PSA).
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:52 AM
Chris

I'd say you are probably right with one of the high number cards, unless there is something in one of the obscure test issues? Ken McMullen played for 15 years, so I believe he has a number of cards out there.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:38 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

It's certainly not the most valuable but one of note is the 55 Harry Agganis. He's an interesting story - local Boston product, starred in football/baseball at BU, died in '55 at the age of 26 after getting pneumonia, followed by a viral infection, followed by a pulmonary embolism.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:21 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Not real valuable, but I found the '69 Bobby Cox card somewhat hard to come by. It's his only card.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Rich Klein

On Cox

69 Topps is only mainstream card during his playing career

He has a 1967 Topps Venezuelan Winter League card which is a bear to obtain
Old 03-25-2015, 03:22 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I'd say you are probably right with one of the high number cards, unless there is something in one of the obscure test issues? Ken McMullen played for 15 years, so I believe he has a number of cards out there.
Sorry for my mistake on McMullen; COMC had his name spelled wrong in the description, so on their site it was a one-off. Maybe this one is the answer:

1970 Topps #189 - 1970 Rookie Stars (Thurman Munson, Dave McDonald) [EX*MT]
Courtesy of COMC.com

I think the PSA 10 just sold at auction approaching $15 thousand.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Tom

How about a 1954 Topps Tom Lasorda?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
How about a 1954 Topps Tom Lasorda?
Depending on what you consider a 'card', Lasorda was also featured on the 1955 Topps Golden Stamps set.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Marc S.

Fred McCullen.

Member of the 1919 "Black Sox" team. Has only one baseball card, a 1916 Zeenut card.

Without coupon, it's a $4k card, give or take. With the coupon, worth even more.

Definitely crosses into the pre-war territory, but it takes the noise out of the equation of:
*Players whose card is only valuable because of someone else on the card.
*Players whose card is only valuable because of a third-party grade of the card (i.e. PSA 10 Gem Mint)
*Players whose card is only valuable because it is part of a really rare, esoteric set (i.e. 1955 Felin's Franks John Meyer)

Old 03-26-2015, 12:22 PM

Default '53 Glendale

I suspect one of the early card collecting pioneers choices might qualify. One of Charlie Conlon's favorite sets - the '53 Glendale Meats - might qualify for one of the registry collectors as cards are very condition sensitive.

The 5 players with the rarest cards (Houtteman, Hoeft, Wight, Ginsberg, & Friend) all have other regular issues cards....but one of the other 23 players might qualify. Hal Erickson? or Milt Jordan?

The cards are very condition sensitive...and a higher grade card would qualify.

Z Wheat