NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-14-2014, 06:50 AM

Default 52 Mantle - Authentic or Fake?

So I came across this and wondering if it is authentic or fake? It is the Type A Mantle
Wanted to get others thoughts who are more experienced than I

Old 03-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Chris

If a 52 Topps Mantle has a bit of wear, I can usually venture a decent guess as to whether it is authentic. I am far from an expert when they are this clean, as I just do not know the intricacies. That said, I would not feel comfortable with this card. To me, it looks like it was just printed.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:11 AM
Pete Sycks

Doesn't look good to me.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 AM

Fake
Old 03-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Alex

I don't know much about 52T. How can you tell it's a fake from that pic alone.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Al Richter

Default Mantle

The scan is not very helpful. Is this a card you have, or one someone is offering to you ?

If you have it, just get it graded or see if someone like Levi Bleam will take a look at it for you.

If someone is offering it to you, it makes no sense that the seller would not have a card that looked that good, if authentic, graded first
Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 PM
I@n Cl@rke

IMO looks a bit fishy, with red flags (ungraded, bad photos), but some big things like the black border alignment and Yankee logo look good. Would a chance to take it out of that top loader for a closer look/feel
Old 03-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Greg C
Greg Cir.uln.ick

A '52 Topps #311 that looks that good and has not found it's way into some TPG slab? I would be very skeptical. I know some people just love raw cards but if that is for sale, why leave a pile of money on the table?
Old 03-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Steve

Maybe just my failing eyesight, but does the card not have untypically wide borders, both front and back?
Old 03-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

wish it was on ascanner, plus the sleeve makes it hard. I say FAKE.
The black outlines dont look right. Plus what looks like water stains, cant tell if background is blue/green tinting.
As for the back, i was only aware the black stiching area was the only dark area, looks like the stats area is the same darkness.
Other than that, theres not much i really can see from those bad pics.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:48 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
wish it was on ascanner, plus the sleeve makes it hard. I say FAKE.
The black outlines dont look right. Plus what looks like water stains, cant tell if background is blue/green tinting.
As for the back, i was only aware the black stiching area was the only dark area, looks like the stats area is the same darkness.
Other than that, theres not much i really can see from those bad pics.
I actually thought the black border looked pretty good (slightly misaligned at corners, etc).. But my only knowledge is based what I've read on line. Would be curious to know if there's something I'm not seeing. Agree, it's frustrating it's not a scan, or at least a pic outside of top loader.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Maybe just my failing eyesight, but does the card not have untypically wide borders, both front and back?
That was the very first thing that raised a red flag for me. Then the back, which could be the angle of the camera but even then I don't think the back borders would be that much skewed (as compared to the front).

Fake. And a card like that?...all my cards are raw and I'm not even a raw v holder stickler...but if I were selling it I wouldn't shove it in a banged up scratched toploader. Also, and I can't really tell w/o a Luckey (hi Leon) quarter, but I don't think that loader is the proper size for a 52T, more like later 50's, and beyond, cards -- in other words, the top of the card would be sticking out the top of the toploader. for a Topps. And believe me, I have enough of them sticking out, which is my personal laziness, but not what I would do with a card like that, were it real.

Last edited by Paul S; 03-14-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
A '52 Topps #311 that looks that good and has not found it's way into some TPG slab?
I just had to chime in with a scan of the '52 Mantle that will be going to PSA for an entombment. It was actually pulled from a pack by a friend of mine (I've seen all of his '52s.....they all match this one). He is old (actually older than Al, if that's possible), and knew very little about the grading process. It's a nice card with all of its issues in the border area (4ish, but will go for more money if he sells).

To view the whole card at one time, right click on the image and choose "View Image".

Last edited by bobsbbcards; 03-14-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Al Richter

Default Mantle

Take it from another old guy, Bob, that is a nice card

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-14-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Nate Mack

Default 52 Mantle

The border on the back has too large a gap on the top AND the bottom. All my 52's I looked at have small borders on the top and bottom if they are centered, and if they are not centered and have one larger border, then the opposite is very small or non existent.

I couldn't tell if it is real or fake without actually seeing the card in person, but I would be leery, very leery. Is this an online transaction? Do you live near each other to check it out in person? Is the asking price as high as it should be for such a nice card or is the seller "giving you a break" on the price? Nothing like the feel test. Also the 50s Topps cards have a pretty distinct smell.

Just my 2 cents...

Currently working on:
53 Topps, 61 Topps, 52-55 Redman, 47-66 Exhibits, 53 Bowman color, 52 Topps, 51-55 Bowman, 64 Topps Stand Ups

My trading page:
http://natesbaseballcardtradingco.weebly.com
Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the info guys - it's from a very old man who wants nothing to do with grading and says he has had this for 20 plus years. Haven't seen in person yet but am going to try and get better pics out of top holder. He has all kinds of 50s and 60s cards from sets and is beginning to part with some of them. All the major fake things for type a seemed ok when i looked at scan (things lining up on back, pixel missing lower left corner, etc) just wanting others opinions
Old 03-15-2014, 03:39 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNTx View Post
Thanks for the info guys - it's from a very old man who wants nothing to do with grading and says he has had this for 20 plus years. Haven't seen in person yet but am going to try and get better pics out of top holder. He has all kinds of 50s and 60s cards from sets and is beginning to part with some of them. All the major fake things for type a seemed ok when i looked at scan (things lining up on back, pixel missing lower left corner, etc) just wanting others opinions
I vote not to give up on it yet.. especially if you can see it in person. I agree with your comment on the black border on front, it matches mine (aligment, missing pixel, little dog ear) to a T... as does the name block. The Yankee logo and bat look good too.. and I can see no discernable difference in image/color (but of course taking out of holder, seeing in higher res and/or in person and/or with loupe would make it much easier to see flaws). I don't dispute anything anyone else says, nor do I think there are not major red flags, but I'd never turn my back on it, especially if you can meet in person. It's all good as long as you don't need to give him money before doing your due dilligence. Could very well be a fake, but could be an absolute gem too.

When I purchased mine, I'd talked to seller by phone 4-5 times, met him in person at LAX, had his personal/business contact info, and received the card still packaged in box from PSA.. I had even been able to track it's shipment from them to him (He signed for it about 1 hour before catching his flight to LAX).. and I had talked to PSA while card was there. You don't have those luxuries, but long short is to take every precaution you can. However my personal opinion is also not to exclude yourself from the opportunity yet. I am very happy I was willing to withhold early judgement based on seller's low feedback total/% and crap listing photos.

Adding- Regardless, good luck!!

Last edited by itjclarke; 03-15-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: good luck
Old 03-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Christopher Zu.psic

Card looks fake.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Bob F.

Here's what the back of one should look like (off eBay) next to the back of the one in question. It is clearly NOT real.

Last edited by bobsbbcards; 03-15-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:55 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Default Back- fake

Ok, that one sold me.

If within reasonable driving distance, I'm still all for seeing it in person. If nothing else, will help to identify anything that might give it away (thickness, feel, visible pixels, etc).
Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

see ^ ..Thats why its important to have scans, it makes it so much easier. But in person is a must for a high price from a unknown source. Plus, also do the 'light test' to see if the paper stock is correct.
In my origina reply..I was thinking the black outline was too dark and thick, perhaps drawn in/touch up. as for the water stain remark..it may be 'washed' , maybe infers to why the reddish color on the back seemed off.
And with Bobs pic...yeah looks narrow from L-R for sure now.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
Here's what the back of one should look like (off eBay) next to the back of the one in question. It is clearly NOT real.

I still can't tell the difference. Can you educate me?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 03-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
I still can't tell the difference. Can you educate me?
It's the size of the borders on the back. Look at how much empty space there is on the fake one.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Nate Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
It's the size of the borders on the back. Look at how much empty space there is on the fake one.
That is what I was saying as well. If you look at any of your 52 cards the back borders are pretty small. And the red box on the back has pretty small borders, on my stack of 52s at least...

Currently working on:
53 Topps, 61 Topps, 52-55 Redman, 47-66 Exhibits, 53 Bowman color, 52 Topps, 51-55 Bowman, 64 Topps Stand Ups

My trading page:
http://natesbaseballcardtradingco.weebly.com
Old 03-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Here is a link: http://home.comcast.net/~52mantle/
It will help educate you folks on the #311 mantle.
Shows you the real ones (both variations A & B) and what to look for.
Also shows spotting countefiets ones and more stuff.
The link has been posted several times before and is very useful.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Here is a link: http://home.comcast.net/~52mantle/
It will help educate you folks on the #311 mantle.
Shows you the real ones (both variations A & B) and what to look for.
Also shows spotting countefiets ones and more stuff.
The link has been posted several times before and is very useful.

Thanks for sharing. I learned some things I didn't know.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 06-29-2014, 07:30 AM
D.an Jackso.n

This card just popped up on St. Louis Craigslist. Tried to just post the pic but couldn't. Possible Var A?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/clt/4539455005.html
Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
This card just popped up on St. Louis Craigslist. Tried to just post the pic but couldn't. Possible Var A?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/clt/4539455005.html
Use the image URL and copy/paste to the link in the tool-bar
Also, from the front scan--yes its a Var A card..you can tell by the line is complete around the logo box
BTW-- the border lines dont look right as they are not equal thickness..plus its centered too well...Gotta be FAKE.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 06-29-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:22 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Yes, I thought the centering was a little too good as well. In reviewing the web page on this thread I didn't think there were too many giveaways it was a fake. It's not a bad one if in fact it is a fake.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Chris

My opinion is that it is a fake. The wear doesn't look natural, the finish on the card looks too flat, and the stain on the back is bizarre.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:41 AM
Bill Gregory

The St. Louis Craigslist Mantle is a type A (easiest way to tell is to look at the Yankee logo. The type A Yankee logo has the black border on the bottom. The type B does not-the yellow box runs right into the white background of the name plate.

Finally, since it is a type A, it's 100% fake because if you look at the black border surrounding the card, the lower left hand corner should be missing a pixel. The card for sale is not missing the pixel. In fact, it appears if the horizontal black border extends beyond the left vertical border.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-30-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Thanks for the continued education guys. I hope to use it one day if the opportunity presents itself!