NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Default Trimmed cards graded as Authentic: how are they priced?

Posted By: cmoking

I have several 1933 World Wide Gum cards that were trimmed - well, probably not trimmed, but oddly cut, probably factory cut from the sheet, but not straight. They were encapsulated by GAI as Authentic. One of these cards is a Moe Berg - I have posted a pic of that card here before. How are these cards priced or how do they sell relative to a non-problematic card? Another reason I am asking is in the Goodwin auction there are a couple of interesting cards that are graded Authentic by GAI - they look nice and interesting, but seem to be getting almost no interest in the auction. On the other hand, there's a 1952 Topps Mantle (on ebay) that is graded Authentic by PSA, and the price on that card seems to be doing just fine. So I'm a bit confused, some cards seem to get hit real hard, other cards not much.

Old 08-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

The value of trimmed cards is in large part determined by the actual card. Trimmed cards of common players in most sets will usually show little collector interest. If the set is rare (like E107, Just So Tobacco, or Four Base Hits) then even trimmed cards will have interest to collectors, due to the low population of total cards. Also, extremely popular cards, like a 52 Mantle, will always have interest from collectors, in any condition.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

Is this case, a trimmed '52 Mantle graded authentic went for $8202.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5228296317&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old 08-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think PSA deserves kudo's for the "grading" of this card and the labelling of it. Personally, I wish all of the grading services would do it this way. regards

Old 08-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

True, Leon!

Old 08-15-2005, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

They did.....proof it and get back to me That's the reason I said what I said.....take care

Old 08-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

It would be nice to have the big 3 (SGC, PSA and GAI) agree on some standards regarding "AUTHENTIC" and labeling the cards with the reason for the "non-grade". This type of collaboration would do well for the hobby and for the grading services.

I do think that PSA did the right thing here. I believe that this is the first AUTHENTIC label that I've seen with the reason for the "non-grade". I'm not a PSA fan but this is a step in the right direction.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Harrell

Canadian Goudey (World Wide Gum) 33 and 34 issues don't command nearly the price of the regular US sets even though their populations are 15 to 20 times smaller. The Berg, which is one of the more sought-after cards in the set, would probably attract some interest, depending on its appearance. The only WWG issue that typically commands good prices is the 1936 set which is even more scarce that the 33 and 34 sets.
Collector interest plays a large role in the price of prewar issues.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Colt McClelland

I bought these three at the National this year knowing they were trimmed and then SGC slabbed them for me. I also think its great that the grading companies are willing to do this, especially for very old and/or very rare or significant cards. If I am not mistaken, GAI slabs as Authentic, but does not list the reason, which is obviously not the best way to do it.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

GAI is now putting grading notes on cards in their data base, so that if you want to know why a card graded a certain way, even years after the fact, all the information can be relayed to you. I"m sure this would be extended to cards graded as "authentic" as well.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Wow, SGC is doing authentic? This is great news. The question is, will they do it for any card or just "significant" cards?

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: WP

What do you think the services should do if more than one type of restoration has been performed on the card? IE Trimming and color addded and creases removed. I suspect this Mantle card has had more done to it than a minor trim.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Thanks for pointing that out, Leon!!!

KUDOS is right!!!!

Way to go, SGC and PSA!!

Old 08-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

34rucker.jpg

Old 08-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

If you have a "1" and you would prefer not to have a number assigned, they will authenticate and encapsulate instead. I did that with my 1949 Lefty O'Doul Japanese bromide card, since I knew it was a technical one but I was really more interested in having it protected for display than having it graded.

Edited to say:

Oh, to get back to the original query: I think if the card is rare and/or significant, only an auction can really establish a price for it. Otherwise, I think about 5%-10% of retail/book for the card is a good baseline retail price.