NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Default WOW! E98 Sale Price in Legendary Auction

This thread is meant as no disrespect towards the top bidder of this item, but I can't believe the final sale price of the E98 Mordecai "Miner" Brown, Lot #183 in the latest Legendary auction. It went for $5,036.25! It is a green background, a PSA 4, yes I said 4... it is 1 of 5 at it's grade, with 8 graded higher, and there are 26 others E98 Browns on the PSA population sight; all of this info. coming from the item's description in the auction's caption.

Please educate me here if I have missed something. I strained to see if there was an OLD PUT stamp on the back, but I don't see one. I looked to see if his name was misspelled, or if something was misprinted on the back, and I don't notice anything out of the ordinary.???? Maybe I have missed something, because 2 people had to really want this card to make the bid price continue to go up... correct? All I see is a really nice looking E98 Brown with stains on the top which maybe could be regraded a little higher, but $5,000 worth higher???

Please let me know if I'm crazy and missed something, or this a classic case of how price guides are meaningless in the relm of Vintage cards and they are only worth as much as someone (or at least 2 people) are willing to pay for it.

Thanks for any input,
Tim Kindler
Old 11-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

My guess is that we will see that one appearing slightly different in a much higher holder sometime in the coming months. Last night Goodwin had the same card (in red) in a PSA 7ST that closed for $3300 otd.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Buy the future holder, not the current holder.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kindler View Post

Please let me know if I'm crazy and missed something, or this a classic case of how price guides are meaningless in the relm of Vintage cards and they are only worth as much as someone (or at least 2 people) are willing to pay for it.

Thanks for any input,
Tim Kindler
!

Tim- You are not crazy. The final bid was stunning, to say the least! It's times like these that make you want to submit some caramel cards for sale but:
1) This figure was an abberation; and,
2) Caramel cards have dried up and finding nice mid grade ones has really become a difficult task.

The Brown card, in the E98 set, is not one of the tougher cards. The Tenney, Coombs, Vaughn, Dahlen, Kling are all much tougher and among the HOFers, Lajoie, Matty, Cobb, Wagner, Walsh, Mack and Young consistently sell for much more than the Brown. It's a puzzler
Old 11-21-2009, 08:15 PM

Default I'm still scratching my head.

tbob,
I agree with you about wanting to sell when you see prices like this! You feel like you are on a gold mine if only every E98 would sell like this.

Peter,
No disrespect meant, but I don't care if the future grade on this is a 7 or 8, which it is not with the stain, it still wouldn't be worth 5 grand! I just can't fathom that a card with a Pop. of 28 PSA and a Pop SGC probaly near that can sell for so much!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quite sure were the card to make it into a PSA 8 holder that it would do many multiples of 5 grand.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Barry Sloate

It looks to have a tiny bit of paper loss to a couple of letters at the top (unless the scan is bad). No way that is even close to an 8. I don't think the new owner can make money on that one, unless it's a complete paper conservation job.

Look at the "s" in "this", and the second "o" in "following."

Last edited by barrysloate; 11-22-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

If I paid 5k for it I would have looked more closely at the card. I was not making a prediction of what I thought the card would be but simply responding to Tim about the card's value in an 8.

However with the talent out there I am sure the disturbance to the lettering could be corrected.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Barry Sloate

Can't beat great talent.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Buy the future holder, not the current holder.
Ohh, that's good!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Robert A

It's a PRO 8.