NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Default Wholesale Card Company

Posted By: Richard Masson

Brian's post about the 70s show and the thread about when one started collecting got me to thinking. My first purchase of "old" cards was from Wholesale Card Company. I think they were located back east (NY?) and the principal was Bruce Yeko(?).
In all the various musings on this board over the past year or two, I have never heard anyone mention his name. Was he a lightweight? Was his operation short lived? Does anyone know who he was/is? He used to advertise in the Sporting News, which I think is where we first discovered his catalog.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

His real passion was producing bootleg records/tapes of failed broadway musicals. He had some absolutely amazing material on that stuff.

He was also a very major dealer and had cards everywhere in his house -- INCLUDING his oven

Rich

Old 06-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

The last purchase I made from Bruce was in the early 80's. 1960's prices for 64-65 Hockey and Brady Bunch cards. He brought them to a show at the Armory in New York City, after I pestered him on the phone about the 3 month delay. Seems he would wait for 100 orders to come in so he could get bulk postage rate.

Rumor was the stuff you could pick up off his basement floor back in the day was better than the stock most dealers had.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Great anectdotes. Did he just fade away? I wonder what happened to his inventory?

Old 06-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Macrae

Richard....Your post prompted me to dig into the archive....Yeko / Wholesale Cards was definitely a MAJOR player in the late 60's-mid 70's. The beginning inventory was assembled in the 50's by Gordon B. Taylor. In the early 60's Taylor sold out to M.A. Kohler (No relation to David). In late '62 Kohler sold out to Marshall Oreck, who added the stock to his inventory. Oreck sold the remaining inventory to Yeko in early '66. When Yeko merged this inventory with his, he was likely the largest dealer at the time (With Card Collectors Company in New York just barely behind)... I last saw him set up at the '88 National in Atlantic City & bought some unopened product from him (early 60's) and a thousand count lot of Washington Nationals.... I've just typed up an 7-figure order for him, based on his 1966 prices. My stock of '64 Standups is running low, so I ordered 1000 sets at $3 each........... Oh, & Leon, this was done without a breath, at the same time I was on the phone with a client discussing a College Football ticket stub collection he has for sale.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator

I was at the '88 National (finished my 53 Topps set!)and probably bought something from him without realizing who he was.

Where did his inventory end up?